Game of Thrones Spoiler Discussion 2 Electric Boogaloo

Which Great House do you stand with?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Which Great House do you stand with?

• Targaryen "Fire and Blood"
    • Stark "Winter is Coming"
    • Baratheon "Ours is the Fury"
    • Lannister "Hear Me Roar"
    • Tully "Family, Duty, Honor"
    • Greyjoy "We Do Not Sow"
    • Arryn "As High as Honor"
    • Tyrell "Growing Strong"
    • Martell "Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken"

I was starting to find Preston Jacob's schtick tedious, but had to listen to this one and it made me giggle. I love how he keeps saying "the bells... built by the King's Landing Christian community." XD It is fair to point out that with the Sept of Baelor gone, there really shouldn't be that many bells in the city left.

Brienne's actress did an interview and said she disagreed with the character choices of the writers this season, particularly her character being made Jaime's bitch.

So that's Barristan's actor, Jon, Varys, Euron's actors all who expressed disappointment publicly while presumably still under contract. Tyrion's and Daenerys you can tell didn't like this season, either. 

19 minutes ago, Celan said:

So that's Barristan's actor, Jon, Varys, Euron's actors all who expressed disappointment publicly while presumably still under contract. Tyrion's and Daenerys you can tell didn't like this season, either. 

Gendry’s too. In fact, he was very blunt about it. And Arya’s seemed pretty mixed on the Night King ordeal.

6 minutes ago, Witchking of Angmar said:

With so many people disliking it, it becomes clear that D&D didn't get any second opinions on the script before it was time to film. 

There’s a petition with over 300,000 signatures for HBO to fire them and remake season 8. XD It would be logistically impossibile of course, with actor contracts, torn down sets, props, and such. But it’s still pretty funny. 

https://www.change.org/p/hbo-remake-game-of-thrones-season-8-with-competent-writers

• Haha 1

I think it would be very hard to make season 8 good without remaking season 7 as well. The setup makes it so Cersei is still the final obstacle. 

Maybe in 10 years or more they may decide to remake it properly when all the books are out and people have forgotten enough about this run of the series. 

Power corrupts, absolute power... is a whole lot of fun!

Even in the poor framework set up by season 7, there is a lot that could’ve been done to make season 8 far better and more sensible than it was. Most of it wouldn’t have even taken considerably more effort than the version we have. 

And now Cersei seemingly isn’t even even the final obstacle. Dany is. The Night King turned out to be less consequential than Walder Frey. XD 

Say what you want about The Last Jedi, but it and Johnson’s other movies make pretty clear he probably wouldn’t be friends with people who said “Themes are for eighth grade book reports.”

In fact Johnson very much said surprise and subversion of expectations was not his aim, unlike the Thrones guys. Here’s an interview with Johnson and he basically calls what happened in GoT by saying subverting expectations leads to “contrived places.” I would still say he did subvert expectations but it seems like to me the motive behind it, drama creation versus simple shock and surprise, is an important distinction.

Interviewer: Can you talk about subverting fan expectations in this film, and in particular, the decision to kill Snoke?

Rian: Yeah, I guess the first thing to say is coming into writing this or any story the object is not to subvert expectation, the object is not surprise. I think that would lead to some contrived places. The object is drama. And in this case, the object was figuring out a path for each one of these characters, where we challenge them and thus learn more about each of them by the end of the movie.

https://www.slashfilm.com/rian-johnson-last-jedi-spoiler-interview/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app

Edited by BTC
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, BTC said:

Say what you want about The Last Jedi, but it and Johnson’s other movies make pretty clear he probably wouldn’t be friends with people who said “Themes are for eighth grade book reports.”

Yeah, if anything, TLJ practically beat us over the head at every opportunity with its "forget tradition, kill the past" themes.

ASoIaF surprises us at times by playing with tropes and then going against them, but it definitely has lots of prominent themes too like war being hell or revenge being bad, but the show tries so hard to be subversive that it manages to rage against the themes of its own source material.

• Like 1

I'd rather not go off topic but I will certainly say that he failed in his goals as most of the movie felt like it went to "contrived places". And even if his intentions were different, the similarities are still there. Even down to actors voicing disappointment with the directions of their characters. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Power corrupts, absolute power... is a whole lot of fun!