Game of Thrones Spoiler Discussion 2 Electric Boogaloo

Which Great House do you stand with?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Which Great House do you stand with?

• Targaryen "Fire and Blood"
    • Stark "Winter is Coming"
    • Baratheon "Ours is the Fury"
    • Lannister "Hear Me Roar"
    • Tully "Family, Duty, Honor"
    • Greyjoy "We Do Not Sow"
    • Arryn "As High as Honor"
    • Tyrell "Growing Strong"
    • Martell "Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken"

I’d say that they foreshadowed her becoming a brutal conquered or possibly having the seeds to eventually go mad. But they fucked up both possibilities by making her too crazy to just be a conqueror like Aegon and too reasonable before her snapping moment for it to be believable that she’s actually this insane. 

Have I ever told y’all that I like Stannis in the books?

Jon and Stannis:

"I am no lord, sire. You came because we sent for you, I hope. Though I could not say why you took so long about it."

Surprisingly, Stannis smiled at that. "You're bold enough to be a Stark. Yes, I should have come sooner. If not for my Hand, I might not have come at all. Lord Seaworth is a man of humble birth, but he reminded me of my duty, when all I could think of was my rights. I had the cart before the horse, Davos said. I was trying to win the throne to save the kingdom, when I should have been trying to save the kingdom to win the throne." Stannis pointed north. "There is where I'll find the foe that I was born to fight."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Good Doctor said:

I’d say that they foreshadowed her becoming a brutal conquered or possibly having the seeds to eventually go mad. But they fucked up both possibilities by making her too crazy to just be a conqueror like Aegon and too reasonable before her snapping moment for it to be believable that she’s actually this insane. 

Agreed, like I mentioned before and had to again today because boy do my coworkers Stan the show, I would’ve at least been able to accept it had they built up to it and not literally just thrown all of her actual development out the window.

Wouldve even embraced it if done right.

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

26 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

I like it. Can’t understand why the show writers hated him

They were Renly fans. 

If you ever wanna see book Stannis at his most badass, read this preview Theon chapter from Winds of Winter. The whole thing is basically just Stannis shit talking Boltons, rooting out traitors, and making power moves for the war.

http://archive.is/eoIl

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Does Stannis die in the books?

He might, but he hasn’t yet. That chapter is a preview from the book that hasn’t been released yet. It’s leading up to the battle with Ramsay, but the circumstances are drastically different.

Stannis’s daughter is hundreds of miles away, so she ain’t getting burned and his army isn’t deserting. Instead of marching blindly and disorganized to certain death, Stannis is working to turn the terrain to his advantage (there’s a cool line in the page I linked where he hints at this). He managed to figure out the Karstark leaders’ plot to betray him and stopped it. And neither him or the Boltons know it yet, but a third of the forces marching alongside Ramsay have secretly sworn to fight for Stannis when the time comes. Also, Ramsay isn’t nearly as smart or competent in the books as his show version. He’s more of a brute, while Roose is the brains.

All throughout this chapter, Stannis is very calm and in control. Battle is what he’s good at, and this is one of the few times we see him completely in his element. It’s a really good read. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Same thing with me at work. My boi keeps saying he likes mad queen Dany and they foreshadowed it since the beginning. He also skipped seasons to watch ahead lol and just started watching. Compares her to Anakin

The guy at work who watches and isn't a book reader thought it was way too abrupt a change and he couldn't understand why they showed her targeting civilians.

So I didn't have to kill him.

10 hours ago, The Good Doctor said:

Have I ever told y’all that I like Stannis in the books?

Hide contents

Jon and Stannis:

"I am no lord, sire. You came because we sent for you, I hope. Though I could not say why you took so long about it."

Surprisingly, Stannis smiled at that. "You're bold enough to be a Stark. Yes, I should have come sooner. If not for my Hand, I might not have come at all. Lord Seaworth is a man of humble birth, but he reminded me of my duty, when all I could think of was my rights. I had the cart before the horse, Davos said. I was trying to win the throne to save the kingdom, when I should have been trying to save the kingdom to win the throne." Stannis pointed north. "There is where I'll find the foe that I was born to fight."

:love:  Of course, in the show this doesn't work. Sansa and every other northerner is even more of a bitch after Dany saves the realm.

9 hours ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Does Stannis die in the books?

Jon is a warg but dead, Stannis is alive and south of Winterfell with Theon and Asha as his prisoners, Jaime has left Cersei for points unknown after she pleaded for his help (she just got back from her Walk of Shame), Sansa is in the Vale and never married Ramsay Bolton, Arya just left Braavos, Tyrion and Jorah are embedded among Yunkish mercenaries attacking Meereen and surrounded by plague, Meereen is being led by Barristan Selmy, Victarion Greyjoy is heading towards Meereen with his fleet and a Valyrian horn that's supposed to be able to control dragons- he wants to win Dany's hand in marriage; Dany is married to a Ghiscari noble and was taken by Drogon away from the Meereen ampitheatre and she's in the Dorthraki Sea and has just been discovered by the combined great khalasar of the Dorthraki, having probably just miscarried a baby; the dragons just got free, after roasting a Dornish prince who'd been sent also to win Dany's hand and was trying to free them to impress her.

I'm probably definitely missing stuff.

• Thanks 1

Also Davos is taking Wyman Manderley's fleet to Skagos in the north to rescue wildlings from the White Walkers. This will probably be the Hardhome plot from the show. Skagos is also where Osha was taking Rickon and Shaggydog.

It's cleansing to remind myself what's happening in the real Westeros. 

3 hours ago, Celan said:

I'm probably definitely missing stuff.

Lady Stoneheart. XD 

Catelyn Stark (resurrected by Beric Dondarrion, at the cost of his own life) is in charge of the Brotherhood without Banners and has taken them in a dark direction. Instead of champions of the people, they’ve basically become the Frey family’s reckoning. The Riverlands are dotted with bodies hanging from trees and they’re not very discerning in how guilty you are. If you’re remotely tied to the Freys or Lannisters, you’re going to hang. They captured Brienne and Podrick and threatened to hang them both if she doesn’t bring them Jaime. The last time we saw Brienne, she was lying to Jaime and convincing him to follow her. They’ve both been missing for weeks.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Celan said:

Also Davos is taking Wyman Manderley's fleet to Skagos in the north to rescue wildlings from the White Walkers. This will probably be the Hardhome plot from the show. Skagos is also where Osha was taking Rickon and Shaggydog.

It's cleansing to remind myself what's happening in the real Westeros. 

I think you’re combining the Davos/Manderly stuff and the Nights Watch stuff. Davos has been sent to bring back Rickon for the Northmen, but not to save Wildlings, far as I remember. The Nights Watchmen led by Cotter Pyke are still taking care of that, having borrowed Stannis’s fleet to do so. Jon was going to join them until he got challenged by Ramsay, and then he got stabbed. XD I wouldn’t be surprised if Davos’s story accidentally intersects with the Wildlings though, because those storms are throwing ships all over the place and if he sees the sails, he’ll know that they belong to Stannis.

Cotter Pyke is already at Hardhome. His letter to Jon is one of the more chilling parts of the series.

At Hardhome, with six ships. Wild seas. Blackbird lost with all hands, two Lyseni ships driven aground on Skane, Talon taking water. Very bad here. Wildlings eating their own dead. Dead things in the woods. Braavosi captains will only take women, children on their ships. Witch women call us slavers. Attempt to take Storm Crow defeated, six crew dead, many wildlings. Eight ravens left. Dead things in the water. Send help by land, seas wracked by storms. From Talon, by hand of Maester Harmune.

"Dead things in the water" is so eerie. Reminds me of those marshes in Lord of the Rings.

• Thanks 1

I feel bad for the actors for having to put up with this. I think a rule of thumb should be that if the actor of a character that has played that character for so long strongly disagrees with the direction of the character, you should listen and reconsider. 

Power corrupts, absolute power... is a whole lot of fun!

21 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Was it Jorah or Varys’s actor who said that they’d get a glazed look in their eyes when an actor came to them with suggestions from the book?

Barristan's