Game of Thrones Spoiler Discussion 2 Electric Boogaloo

Which Great House do you stand with?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Which Great House do you stand with?

• Targaryen "Fire and Blood"
    • Stark "Winter is Coming"
    • Baratheon "Ours is the Fury"
    • Lannister "Hear Me Roar"
    • Tully "Family, Duty, Honor"
    • Greyjoy "We Do Not Sow"
    • Arryn "As High as Honor"
    • Tyrell "Growing Strong"
    • Martell "Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken"

Barristan’s actor is one of the OGs when it comes to getting done dirty. 

He was a big fan of the books before the show even came out, and so he knew that season 5 is when the show was supposed to approach the part of the books where Barristan goes from a background character to a prominent POV who basically runs Mereen in Dany’s absence.

Instead he randomly got killed off in an alley just before reaching the part where he starts doing lots of cool shit. I felt bad because the actor begged them to change it and let him actually play the character, and the showrunners later made fun of him for this and said that it only made them want to kill him off more. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

2 hours ago, The Good Doctor said:

Barristan’s actor is one of the OGs when it comes to getting done dirty. 

He was a big fan of the books before the show even came out, and so he knew that season 5 is when the show was supposed to approach the part of the books where Barristan goes from a background character to a prominent POV who basically runs Mereen in Dany’s absence.

Instead he randomly got killed off in an alley just before reaching the part where he starts doing lots of cool shit. I felt bad because the actor begged them to change it and let him actually play the character, and the showrunners later made fun of him for this and said that it only made them want to kill him off more. 

Well I guess that really confirms it, they are some real arrogant assholes. 

Power corrupts, absolute power... is a whole lot of fun!

The people on reddit trying to justify this as brilliant writing... I knew they'd be there, but it's no less amazing to see. I'm sure half of them are paid HBO shills, but still, it's unbelievable.

5 hours ago, Centurion said:

I feel like everything up to the red wedding was pristine game of Thrones and everything after has just been a gradual dip into an underwhelming sea of “eh”

For me the tipping point was the end of season 4 when Jaime saved Tyrion from the black cells and the most pivotal moment in both their arcs got cut.

There was some meh stuff before then, but that’s when the floodgates opened. After that, season 5 brought the terrible Dorne plot, butchered the Northern storyline and Stannis’s character, made Jaime stay with Cersei, killed off Barristan, whitewashed Tyrion, and had Littlefinger randomly give Sansa to the Boltons for no good reason.

3 hours ago, Celan said:

The people on reddit trying to justify this as brilliant writing... I knew they'd be there, but it's no less amazing to see. I'm sure half of them are paid HBO shills, but still, it's unbelievable.

They're probably in denial. I remember hearing that a lot of people thought the Star Wars prequels were good when they came out. 

Power corrupts, absolute power... is a whole lot of fun!

1 minute ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Whitewashed Tyrion?

Big time. He’s one of the biggest goody-two-shoes in the show, but in the books after he parts ways with Jaime and kills his father, he arguably becomes one of the most villainous POVs in the whole story. He wants to kill his siblings, take Casterly Rock for himself, and basically comes to hate the world.

Remember his trial scene where he tells everyone he wishes he was the monster they treat him like? And he tells them if he could, he’d poison the whole lot of them? He basically embraces that after fleeing Kings Landing.

11 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Jokes aside, that’s gonna be weird to get used to. I like “whitewashed” Tyrion, up until they started making him an idiot

Well he sure doesn’t become an idiot. He drinks a lot more, but even clouded by rage he still accomplishes more as a loner in book 5 than he has in three seasons as Hand of the Queen.

Getting used to it will probably be easier than you think. The part where Jaime breaks him out is much different and makes it pretty understandable why both of them take such a different turn from the show.

Major book spoilers

Basically, Jaime reveals to Tyrion that his former wife (the one he talks about in season 1) was not actually a whore, and that she actually did love him but Tywin wouldn’t let it happen and had her raped by his men and made Tyrion participate still thinking she was a whore. Jaime knew this and kept it secret.

So in response, Tyrion lies to Jaime and says he actually did kill Joffrey. Then he tells the truth about Cersei fucking half of Kings Landing while Jaime was a prisoner. He promises to kill Jaime if they cross paths again and that’s when he leaves him and decides to kill Tywin on the way out.

Tyrion spends the next book thinking about his wife and how much he hates his family. Jaime spends it thinking about Cersei’s betrayal and ultimately decides to abandon her when she needs him.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Man, Cersei’s an even bigger Thot in the books then, jeez. 

No way book Jaime goes back after that. 

She fucked their cousin Lancel in the show, but I don’t remember if Jaime ever found out. Don’t think he did. In the books she does this and also fucks a sellsword in her employ. Tyiron tells him about both, and then throws in the court jester for shits and giggles just to drive home what a hoe she is. XD 

19 minutes ago, Witchking of Angmar said:

Is it just me or are the showrunners similar to the Mad King? Both have inflated egos and are when on the way out have a penchant for burning everything.

I've considered that they have contempt for both the material and the fanbase. 

1 hour ago, The Good Doctor said:

She fucked their cousin Lancel in the show, but I don’t remember if Jaime ever found out. Don’t think he did. In the books she does this and also fucks a sellsword in her employ. Tyiron tells him about both, and then throws in the court jester for shits and giggles just to drive home what a hoe she is. XD 

:rofl:

Hope that was a joke at least 

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee