Roleplayer’s Off Topic Thread #18

A poll of ice and fire  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Which House would you choose?

• Targaryen
    • Baratheon

Just now, The Good Doctor said:

Based on the end of Trespasser, it looks like the Inquisitor almost has to play a role in the next game. The ending video you sent basically had them look at the camera and go “see ya in Dragon Age 4, bitch!”

But how big? Because if it's like how they included hobo Hawke, I really don't want it. Suuuper lame as fuck, and a shoehorned fangirl complex with MY bitch at that.... I'm glad they let me sacrifice him to a giant spider. Fuck him loll.

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

Just now, ColonelKillaBee said:

But how big? Because if it's like how they included hobo Hawke, I really don't want it. Suuuper lame as fuck, and a shoehorned fangirl complex with MY bitch at that.... I'm glad they let me sacrifice him to a giant spider. Fuck him loll.

I let Lohgan bite it. Charging while screaming "For the Wardens!" was the perfect way for him to go out. I couldn't  let my Hawke leave Varric and Merril behind

Just now, BigBossBalrog said:

I let Lohgan bite it. Charging while screaming "For the Wardens!" was the perfect way for him to go out. I couldn't  let my Hawke leave Varric and Merril behind

I would have if I didn't cut his head off who knows how many times in Origins. I'm not that pragmatic in the face of my complete and utter revenge.

3 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Given how personal the Inquisitor’s connection to Solas can be, I have to imagine it’d be a bigger role than Hawke. I have no idea how they plan to not make the NPC Inquisitor lame, though. They tried very hard to make him lame even when I was controlling him.

Just now, ColonelKillaBee said:

You sure did at first till he dropped the big secret XD He kinda reminds me of Boldir.

It wasn't that, it should have been a story that I liked- older man, rough cut etc. But it was poorly executed and melodramatic, and Blackwall wasn't integral to the game so it felt shoehorned in.

1 minute ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

I would have if I didn't cut his head off who knows how many times in Origins. I'm not that pragmatic in the face of my complete and utter revenge.

You can still have Alistair be friends with you and retain Logan on your team XD He always leaves the Wardens however, but you repair your relationship. 

I thought "what would Duncan do in this situation?" and yeah, I think he would recruit Loghain to the Wardens. 

3 minutes ago, Celan said:

It wasn't that, it should have been a story that I liked- older man, rough cut etc. But it was poorly executed and melodramatic, and Blackwall wasn't integral to the game so it felt shoehorned in.

I liked Blackwall better than most of the other companions, but honestly that isn’t saying very much as I wasn’t a huge fan of Inquisition’s lineup. He did feel like the game’s way of giving the Wardens some inclusion. 

I liked Blackwall better than most of the other companions, but honestly that isn’t saying very much as I wasn’t a huge fan of Inquisition’s lineup. He did feel like the game’s way of giving the Wardens some inclusion other than as the big bad’s corrupted minions. 

I was honestly pissed at that XD I'm a Warden fanboy, fuck the nosy Inquisition.  At least the Warden Commander had a super cool death. 

2 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Given how personal their connection to Solas can be, I have to imagine it’d be a bigger role than Hawke. I have no idea how they plan to not make the NPC Inquisitor lame, though. They tried very hard to make him lame even when I was controlling him.

I thought he was fine actually, it's just that you had to accept him as one particular role and pretty much nothing else.

Same for Lavellan, which is why I had a hard time taking that playthrough seriously. The romance was good, the lore bits and relevance to the Dalish was especially good but Lavellan did not fit that role as Inquisitor for me at all. Was really weird.

All I know is, if anyone gets to put him down it needs to be me. Hawke was the one that let Cornflakes free in the first place and all he got to do was die against a spider XD and some other unimportant shit if he's not sacrificed. 

It's all he deserves.

3 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

You can still have Alistair be friends with you and retain Logan on your team XD He always leaves the Wardens however, but you repair your relationship. 

I thought "what would Duncan do in this situation?" and yeah, I think he would recruit Loghain to the Wardens. 

What's Allistair got to do with it? I couldn't give a fuck less about what Allistair thinks of my decisions to be honest, I just wanted to kill Howe's whole crew and anyone that even associated with him. Plus, he made me an outlaw when we were the only ones that could do anything about the blight at all and it just rubbed me the wrong way.

I definitely am more understanding of his distrust of the wardens though now, but this nigga should've done his research. A fresh recruit that was conscripted and Allistair of all people ain't gonna betray Ferelden to the goddamn Orlesians. Plus, there's fucking Darkspawn. Lots. Of course its a goddamn blight, they don't all sprout out of the ground overnight.

1 minute ago, BigBossBalrog said:

fuck the nosy Inquisition

I really wanted to take the Inquisition in a more brutal direction than the game allowed. That’s perhaps my biggest disappointment with the game. It’s all about leading a faction called the fucking Inquisition and we couldn’t even make them brutal or dark. I wanted to interrogate people, infiltrate organizations, torch villages, and go full scorched earth in the name of stopping the demons. Would’ve been a much more interesting chapter in Thedas history.

The best we got was being able to force the Mages to work for us. I did like that.

I thought he was fine actually, it's just that you had to accept him as one particular role and pretty much nothing else.

Which is why I didn’t like him. I thought that the role they wanted us to play was lame and that an RPG company as accomplished as Bioware should’ve given us way more control over who we wanted to be. I hated being the plucky friend to everyone.

• Haha 1

Which is why I didn’t like him. I thought that the role they wanted us to play was lame and that an RPG company as accomplished as Bioware should’ve given us way more control over who we wanted to be. I hated being the plucky friend to everyone.

Ah that's what you meant lol, nah I was a dick to people I didn't like. Sera for instance XD I was a huge douche to that bitch, kept her ass in line. Coulda just kicked her out but I liked telling her off.

What I meant was the whole fatherly larger than life righteous figure with a good heart off the battlefield and all that. Herald of Andraste and yadya. I actually really liked that and was what I was gonna go for anyway. 

But they've been steering from the direction of what you're talking about ever since Dragon age 2 and mass effect. At least Mass Effect gave you two options though, or a blend. 

4 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I really wanted to take the Inquisition in a more brutal direction than the game allowed. That’s perhaps my biggest disappointment with the game. It’s all about leading a faction called the fucking Inquisition and we couldn’t even make them brutal or dark. I wanted to interrogate people, infiltrate organizations, torch villages, and go full scorched earth in the name of stopping the demons. Would’ve been a much more interesting chapter in Thedas history.

You do just that actually. The problem is this is all done offscreen with that stupid mini map game.

What I meant was the whole fatherly larger than life righteous figure with a good heart off the battlefield and all that.

I’m talking about this too. I wanted my Inquisitor to be a stern hardass who was absolutely driven to get things done and didn’t make a lot of friends along the way. A Stannis type, more or less. 

But instead, the options were basically what you describe or to be an absolute dick to a nonsensical degree.

But instead, the options were basically what you describe or to be an absolute dick to a nonsensical degree.

It really annoys me that very few games can handle not being a straight good guy without becoming rather nonsensically evil. 

• Like 1

Power corrupts, absolute power... is a whole lot of fun!

1 minute ago, Witchking of Angmar said:

It really annoys me that very few games can handle not being a straight good guy without becoming rather nonsensically evil. 

Meanwhile New Vegas lets you be pretty much whatever spectrum of dick you wanna be, lol. I had that shit cranked up to 9000 my first playthrough.

Origins did pretty well too. My favorite line to this day from a Bioware game is "I just wanted to test out the goods." :rofl: What happened to shit like that? How is this the same company that wouldn't let me bang a possessed chick because they thought it rapey? It happens all the time in movies. Yea it's pretty fucked, but it's a FUCKING DEMON. IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

The game would've been ssooooo much better if they scaled it down by half at least, including all the random shit in that minimap game thing and gave you cutscenes and prisoners to talk to and interact with after based off of how things went. 

I agree. Scale it way down and use the saved development time to give more character options and better flesh out the stuff that didn’t suck. It could’ve been the best game in the series if they hadn’t tried to compete with Skyrim and make their game massive. 

11 minutes ago, Witchking of Angmar said:

“Name’s Lucas Simms. I don’t know why, but I like you, stranger. Would you like to disarm the bomb in our city or blow it up for shits and giggles?”

9 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Meanwhile New Vegas lets you be pretty much whatever spectrum of dick you wanna be, lol. I had that shit cranked up to 9000 my first playthrough.

Origins did pretty well too. My favorite line to this day from a Bioware game is "I just wanted to test out the goods." :rofl: What happened to shit like that? How is this the same company that wouldn't let me bang a possessed chick because they thought it rapey? It happens all the time in movies. Yea it's pretty fucked, but it's a FUCKING DEMON. IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE.

Obsidian took it even further in their game Tyranny. In it you start the game with Kyros the Overlord having conquered almost all of the continent and known world except on little bit of land. Your character is then part of the invading army and the prologue is detailing your decisions during the conquest while the game proper is mainly about you squashing the eventual rebellion and maintaining Kyros' law.

There's practically no way to go through the game as a straight good guy. Even most of the nicest decisions have some downside. 

• Like 1

Tijhan vouched for Tyranny too, might try it over the holiday

It's not my type of gameplay but I quite like the story and the world. Story is a bit lacking in parts in my opinion though. The dlc Bastard's Wound is pretty much an attempt at lore dump that I found excessively boring, but it adds three neat companion quests and apparently a new ending option that to me is the only real ending as the other options end on a cliffhanger.