Roleplayer’s Off Topic Thread #18

A poll of ice and fire  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Which House would you choose?

• Targaryen
    • Baratheon

Just now, ColonelKillaBee said:

CDPR’s done much more to prove themselves to me than Obsidian. Not on the same level yet.

That’s fine. But they are for me. They’ve both done one tremendous game, two or three very good -albeit different- ones, and they’ve proven to be very consumer-mindful and haven’t acted greedily like most of the industry.

1 minute ago, The Good Doctor said:

That’s fine. But they are for me. They’ve both done one tremendous game, two or three very good -albeit different- ones, and they’ve proven to be very consumer-mindful and haven’t acted greedily like most of the industry.

Yea and that's cool but CDPR not only made great games prior and has never acted greedy, they've also given a bunch of free shit to the fans, including their sick soundtrack, were faithful to the books AND completely shat all over Bioware and pretty much every other rpg game developer to date, showing you can make a game that's both pretty and detailed, and still an rpg.

It's just not the same.

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

And FROM created the "*insert random is the Dark Souls of insert genre* in terms of influence in the last decade, I think there up on topic. Not only has Souls become it's own genre, everything single fucking game is compared to it (which is even annoying for me.) Not only that, they've retained high quality, polish (no bugs at launch XD) , and more importantly, they treat there customers with respect and don't think your an idiot XD. No Micro Transactions either. All of that puts them on the top for me. Or at least near the top. 

6 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

It's not the same. CDPR gave us the whole package and have set the bar on game development and business practice with the consumer.

And New Vegas set the bar for RPGs. And with those being my favorite type of game, that matters more to me than a full package that isn’t as much of an RPG.

And Obsidian’s customer relations were on par with CDPR’s. They may not have given free hairstyles, but they spent the next two years interacting with the community with complete transparency. I could reliably talk to JE Sawyer any time a question came up, and even have full fledged discussions about the game like I do with you guys.

Witcher's as much of an RPG as any game, and then some. Only difference is this particular rpg has a fixed character and they didn't focus a ton on particular stats. Spreadsheets aren't what makes a good rpg, or even an rpg. FNV is certainly closer to a traditional rpg than witcher is but I'm not big on that.

Free haircuts, outfits, music, 16 free dlcs total on one title other developers would've certainly charged microtransactions for.

That release of Cyberpunk gameplay well before the game was ready is more transparent than most game companies have been.

2 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Witcher's as much of an RPG as any game, and then some. Only difference is this particular rpg has a fixed character and they didn't focus a ton on particular stats.

I love Witcher, but stats and a set character aren’t even remotely all that separate it from New Vegas in terms of RPG mechanics. 90% of the time, your choices in Witcher boil down to the choices Geralt makes and whether you want to kill things with a sword or poison or signs. At the end of the day, you’re always Geralt the witcher. Which is fine, great even, considering how well they wrote his character.

New Vegas lets you tackle virtually any situation however you want. You can be a gunfighter, a mad scientist, a smooth talker, a stealthy secret agent, a brutal tribal, etc. Greedy asshole, kind hearted samaritan, The Courier is totally yours to determine, and the game has a path a response for all of those options. This is what makes it such a stand-out RPG. No AAA game competes in this respect.

3 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I love Witcher, but stats and a set character aren’t even remotely all that separate it from New Vegas in terms of RPG mechanics. 90% of the time, your choices in Witcher boil down to the choices Geralt makes and whether you want to kill things with a sword or poison or signs. At the end of the day, you’re always Geralt the witcher. Which is fine, great even, considering how well they wrote his character.

New Vegas lets you tackle virtually any situation however you want. You can be a gunfighter, a mad scientist, a smooth talker, a stealthy secret agent, a brutal tribal, etc. Greedy asshole, kind hearted samaritan, The Courier is totally yours to determine, and the game has a path a response for all of those options. This is what makes it such a stand-out RPG. No AAA game competes in this respect.

The game is called The Witcher XD But yeah it is kinda limiting. Like in something like Elder Scrolls, I can be whatever I want to be in gameplay. I can be a swordsmaster, stealthy archer, or powerful spellsword. But in Witcher, your always...a witcher.  Sword and light magic everytime, and no stealth. Dosen't change how great the game is, but it limits making new characters...cause you'll always be Geralt. 

5 hours ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

I thought he was fine actually, it's just that you had to accept him as one particular role and pretty much nothing else.

Same for Lavellan, which is why I had a hard time taking that playthrough seriously. The romance was good, the lore bits and relevance to the Dalish was especially good but Lavellan did not fit that role as Inquisitor for me at all. Was really weird.

All I know is, if anyone gets to put him down it needs to be me. Hawke was the one that let Cornflakes free in the first place and all he got to do was die against a spider XD and some other unimportant shit if he's not sacrificed. 

It's all he deserves.

Lavellan works in that role the best of any, IMO. There's the irony of being called "herald of Andraste," of course, but we all know that's bullshit from the get go and you get to tell the Chantry to fuck off with that nonsense from the start. Meanwhile she being the one who intercepts the orb, confronting Mythal and Fen'Harel is both the most dramatic and makes the most sense. 

12 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

That release of Cyberpunk gameplay well before the game was ready is more transparent than most game companies have been.

Don’t get me wrong, I loved that. But alongside the trailer a few months before, it’s basically all we got after like 6 or 7 years of silence, and we’ve gotten little since. CDPR is amazing, but one trailer and one gameplay video doesn’t make them that transparent. I’ll wait and see how they interact with fans during the lead-up and shortly after release, because right now Obsidian are the kings in that respect as far as I’m concerned. A few of them practically befriended some of us in the Fallout community.

5 minutes ago, Celan said:

Lavellan works in that role the best of any, IMO. There's the irony of being called "herald of Andraste," of course, but we all know that's bullshit from the get go and you get to tell the Chantry to fuck off with that nonsense from the start. Meanwhile she being the one who intercepts the orb, confronting Mythal and Fen'Harel is both the most dramatic and makes the most sense. 

On paper yea, but they still shoehorn you into the role of the inquisitor with basically the same personality no matter what you do. And being the human messiah as an elf, or dwarf, qunari, etc is jarring for that reason, even if you do try and limit its influence on you. Especially how people regard you. What you say about all the Andraste stuff hardly matters.

I wouldn't say it's bullshit though, it may not have been her in the fade but it's true that you were at the exact right place and time to stop the world from ending.

1 minute ago, The Good Doctor said:

Don’t get me wrong, I loved that. But alongside the trailer a few months before, it’s basically all we got after like 6 or 7 years of silence, and we’ve gotten little since. CDPR is amazing, but one trailer and one gameplay video doesn’t make them that transparent. I’ll wait and see how they interact with fans during the lead-up and shortly after release, because right now Obsidian are the kings in that respect as far as I’m concerned. A few of them practically befriended some of us in the Fallout community.

They're not giving us a play by play but that's because by their own words they still don't know fully what this game will be like, and they said they don't want people feeling like they were mislead. When they get to that point, they'll answer anything and everything like they've always done.

8 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

I don't think it's as diverse as you think, they predetermine your whole history with Ulysses and the Great Divide.

Finally got around to watching John Wick.

Yes it is. They tell you that you delivered some packages and are well traveled all over the west. That says nothing about you that isn’t obvious from the get-go. It doesn’t tell you your personality, your philosophies, how good or bad, smart or stupid you are, or how you tackle problems. That’s all yours to decide. 

8 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

The choices in the Witcher aren't in character expression but in moral dilemmas which CDPR does a great job with.

Most of the time in Bethesda games, you're essentially playing the same game with a few cosmetic differences. New Vegas did allow for more differentiation.

• Like 1