Roleplayer's Off Topic Thread #1

6 hours ago, Celan said:

All literature is essentially recycling ideas and making them your own. In antiquity and the medieval era, being totally original wasn't even considered a goal. People wanted to hear the same stories over and over with different spins. I didn't know about the origins of courtly love in Arabic poetry, though. Sounds Sufi.

The Arthurian cycle sure did inspire a lot of crappy stuff- it still does, one reason I prefer the Germanic and Norse stuff.

She also has a video on Beowulf detailing why he also could be considered a Mary Sue. Though it also has a part where the vikings didn't consider a monster crashing their party to be a big problem until it happened three nights in a row. 

Power corrupts, absolute power... is a whole lot of fun!

While you could certainly make arguments for why such duels would be a bad idea, such as people like Brund, i.e. people that are good at fighting and not much else, would be able to dictate the kingship all too much. But given how most other people in the other provinces uses assassinations to get rid of people you could also argue that duels are a more orderly way of settling disputes. 

Though if you are going to argue against the duel I think the best argument would be to question whether or not it was the best course of action rather than its legitimacy. 

• Like 2

What a tool.

Ulfric's challenge was perfectly lawful, and a demonstration of both courage and strategic acumen. He could have been arrested and tortured again. Instead, he put Torygg into checkmate. So who's the better king really? As I've always said, his use of the thu'um in the duel was more about calling Nords to their native strength than winning the duel. Something they would need to fight against the Thalmor.

I only wish they had shown in the game that Ulfric intends to teach others the thu'um after he wins.

I think it's hilarious that he argues simultaneously that the duel was unfair because Torygg couldn't possibly win it, and that Ulfric was afraid to fight him. :rofl: Reminds me of the nuttier anti-Trump people who simultaneously say he's a mentally defective imbecile and that he's an evil genius. You know what time it is when people start arguing like that.

Edited by Celan
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Witchking of Angmar said:

While you could certainly make arguments for why such duels would be a bad idea, such as people like Brund, i.e. people that are good at fighting and not much else, would be able to dictate the kingship all too much. But given how most other people in the other provinces uses assassinations to get rid of people you could also argue that duels are a more orderly way of settling disputes. 

Though if you are going to argue against the duel I think the best argument would be to question whether or not it was the best course of action rather than its legitimacy. 

Indeed, that's why I didn't bother arguing with him on that point. Aside from saying his views are ethnocentric. 

But he can't sit there and argue it's legitimacy by Nord law because in Skyrim it's perfectly legal. And that's the main problem with his argument, he goes on to state that it's not the best way to do things, then quotes Tullius of all people, which I'm not sure if he's talking about the actual Tullius or the guy playing Tullius, then makes up shit about the history of the moot, all factually incorrect. 

• Like 1

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

XD I think the only thing that triggers him is someone suggesting he isn't the greatest intellectual of all time. This whole thing started apparently because someone linked my "Stormcloak Bible" to one of his videos on youtube's comment section. Been on my ass ever since. 

7 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

XD I think the only thing that triggers him is someone suggesting he isn't the greatest intellectual of all time. This whole thing started apparently because someone linked my "Stormcloak Bible" to one of his videos on youtube's comment section. Been on my ass ever since. 

He seems really young.

On the topic of Imperial culture being superior to Nordic as a defense of ethnocentrism -specifically in regards to the idea of dueling for positions of power- what would that guy have to say about this?

http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Grandmaster_Duel

The Imperials do it too. Hell, they did it at the absolute height of their culture and power. Their true issue with Ulfric obviously wasn’t that he broke any law. It’s that he is a political opponent who intended to make changes that would favor Skyrim over Cyrodiil, so they made up some shit about it being murder instead of a duel. If a different bootlicker Jarl had dueled Torygg and replaced him, I doubt any fuss would’ve been raised.

That’s why I think it’s funny when Imperial fans defend their side by claiming that the Nordic way is backwards or flawed. Like Witch said, there is an argument to be made there, but it should apply to both factions. At least the Nords are honest about it.

• Like 2

He’ll probably say it’s different because of it being a legionnaire rather than with say, a count or something. I do remember it saying the killing of an Imperial count or leader of some kind is illegal, possibly Imperial vassals too.

Even though it of course is the same basic idea and principal and shows they’re not exactly strangers to ideas he claims are barbaric.

1 minute ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

He’ll probably say it’s different because of it being a legionnaire rather than with say, a count or something. I do remember it saying the killing of an Imperial count or leader of some kind is illegal, possibly Imperial vassals too.

Even though it of course is the same basic idea and principal and shows they’re not exactly strangers to ideas he claims are barbaric.

Which is where Nordic vs Imperial law comes into play, which it probably never would’ve if Ulfric hadn’t been anti-Imperial, since most of the provinces have historically been given a fair amount of autonomy in how they are ruled.

But my main point is to target his ethnocentrism argument that tries to paint the Imperials as somehow better or more civilized in this regard. From this, to the racism, to Ulfric being corrupt or self-serving, almost every major argument that these people weigh against the Stormcloaks also applies to the Empire, often to an even larger degree.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Which is where Nordic vs Imperial law comes into play, which it probably never would’ve if Ulfric hadn’t been anti-Imperial, since most of the provinces have historically been given a fair amount of autonomy in how they are ruled.

But my main point is to target his ethnocentrism argument that tries to paint the Imperials as somehow better or more civilized in this regard. From this, to the racism, to Ulfric being corrupt or self-serving, almost every major argument that these people weigh against the Stormcloaks also applies to the Empire, often to an even larger degree.

Of course, but this kids not gonna acknowledge that lol. He’s just gonna ignore it, hold his nose up and say that at least they don’t let counts and such kill each other (that I know of).

At the racism thing and ethnocentrism, indeed. Nevermind that one of the greatest forms of racism in my mind is literally there in their namesake. 

Its not worth bothering. I only responded to that particular post because he tried calling me out and involving someone else.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Btw, are non admin members seeing notifications when you receive PMs?

Yes and I find it rather annoying. I find it enough for the messenger to notify me. Having the general notifications also do so is just redundant. Wouldn't mind if I could toggle it but it says admins wont let me. 

Edited by Witchking of Angmar

3 minutes ago, Witchking of Angmar said:

Yes and I find it rather annoying. I find it enough for the messenger to notify me. Having the general notifications also do so is just redundant. 

You can edit your notifications by going to your name > account > account settings > notification settings