Roleplayer's Off Topic Thread #1

9 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

You and Celan probably both know more than me about High Rock’s lore, but I believe that during the events of Daggerfall, the Empire’s control over High Rock was tenuous at best. Basically only controlled it on paper. Which is why they had to send an undercover agent to deal with the problems there. Practically everyone who had power in the Iliac Bay region did what they pleased.

It’s only after the Warp in the West that this changed.

That’s what I assumed she meant, I just wasn’t sure if she was referencing that or something specific that happened in light of the Warp in the West. Some stated policy change or something similar. 

• Like 2

I’d say that it’s not that they’re not as obvious, but that it’s simply not as significant enough for me to consider it a part of the negative pattern mentioned as a result of the actions of the hero, which was my biggest gripe with the theory.

As far as Cyrodiil goes, for example, the heroes actions lead to the destruction of the amulet of kings, death of the last Septim and the destruction of a stone to a tower.  Even though of course the alternative is being conquered by a daedric lord, it’s still a consequence of your actions which sent Cyrodiil spiraling into chaos.

That and what happens with Morrowind are far more significant negatives than any negative that results from the actions of the hero of Daggerfall. In my opinion.

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

1 minute ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

I’d say that it’s not that they’re not as obvious, but that it’s simply not as significant enough for me to consider it a part of the negative pattern mentioned as a result of the actions of the hero, which was my biggest gripe with the theory.

As far as Cyrodiil goes, for example, the heroes actions lead to the destruction of the amulet, death of the last Septim and the destruction of a stone to a tower.  Even though of course the alternative is being conquered by a daedric lord, it’s still a consequence of your actions which sent Cyrodiil spiraling into chaos.

That and what happens with Morrowind are far more significant negatives than any negative that results from the actions of the hero of Daggerfall. In my opinion.

And I agree. Cyrodiil and Morrowind basically collapsed as a result of what happened in those games. The negative results of Daggerfall are big, but not even close to the level of catastrophe that came after the next two.

And I imagine Skyrim will be the same. I’d be very surprised if the Nords get as wrecked by the Dragonborn’s actions as Morrowind and Cyrodiil were. Those places started out relatively well, so the collapses were something of a contrast. We basically enter Skyrim when it is at a historic low, and we took measures to strengthen it, which we don’t really get to do in most TES games.

And Arena doesn’t fit that pattern very well either. We basically just overthrew a horrible usurping fraudulent tyrant and replaced him with a less horrible tyrant who had a divine claim. Net positive for everyone.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

After all lol who cares about Orcs XD And in the grand scheme of things Mannimarco and his cult mattered very little.

I’m hoping that the Necromancer’s Moon is a card that Bethesda are still waiting to play some day. Just haven’t had a good time to, yet since they seem to have planned Morrowind-Skyrim pretty far in advance.

Boiiiiiiiiii

Won’t lie, I am a bit worried about how this will turn out. I hope they don’t get greedy and ruin it with micro transactions and shit. I haven’t played enough of Grandtheft auto five to confirm, but my boy claims that’s exactly what happened with that. So, we’ll see. Y’all probably play more than I did, I stopped just before the heists came. So y’all could tell me.

• Like 1

Just now, ColonelKillaBee said:

Boiiiiiiiiii

Won’t lie, I am a bit worried about how this will turn out. I hope they don’t get greedy and ruin it with micro transactions and shit. I haven’t played enough of Grandtheft auto five to confirm, but my boy claims that’s exactly what happened with that. So, we’ll see. Y’all probably play more than I did, I stopped just before the heists came. So y’all could tell me.

No, he’s absolutely right. Rockstar got greedy and blew it big time. In fact, they canceled their plans to do a large single player story-based DLC so they could focus more on the online stuff, which is perfectly decent without micro transactions, but still crams them down your throat. It got them a lot of bad rep. Even from their loyal fans like myself.

I’m definitely keeping a weary eye on RDR2. So far they’ve focused much more on advertising the singleplayer than the online stuff, which is already a step back from what they did with GTAV.

You could say that I’m nervous, but hopeful. RDR is such a classic that I have to hope they’ll recognize that and show it some respect. If they don’t, I think a lot of their fanbase will leave them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Good Doctor said:

Yeah, I don’t think that the Events of the Elder Scrolls prophesies are inherently tied towards positive or negative change. Just change in general.

If either Harkon or Vyrthur has succeeded, they would’ve been a capital H Hero by definition. But it seems like there would’ve been a lot more bad from what they did than good, whereas in the cases of the games’ protagonists, it seems to more often be a lot of good and then a lot of bad in the longer run. There’s no real consistency, which fits what you said aboht them being wild cards. 

Do you really think the Nerevarine thought his/her actions would lead to Morrowind's destruction or that the Champion of Cyrodiil thought he/she would bring about the fall of the Empire? That's some pretty ironic stuff.

1 hour ago, BTCollins said:

What do you mean by this? High Rock was already part of the Empire at that time of the Warp in the West. Or did you just mean it allowed more effective control by the Empire

Indeed.

"Since Your Lordship was in Black Marsh serving in the staff of Admiral Sosorius at the time, you probably know of these events only from Imperial proclamations and Chapel declarations, which identify this period as the 'Miracle of Peace'. During the 'Miracle of Peace', according to official accounts, the formerly war-wracked Iliac Bay region was transformed overnight from a patchwork of squabbling duchies and petty kingdoms into the peaceful modern counties of Hammerfell, Sentinel, Wayrest, and Orsinium. The 'Miracle of Peace', also known as the [sic] 'The Warp in the West', is celebrated as the product of the miraculous interventions of Stendarr, Mara, and Akatosh to transform this troublesome region into peaceful, well-governed Imperial counties. The catastrophic destruction of landscape and property and the large loss of life attending upon this miracle is understood to have been 'tragic, and beyond mortal comprehension.'"

Edited by Celan
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Honestly if I can play cards and liars dice again online that might be enough XD I miss that

XD I knew you’d say that. 

Speaking of online, how into pirate stuff are you? Balrog and I were talking about Sea of Thieves, which is a game I never would’ve considered buying if he hadn’t told me that it is going to have Xbox-PC crossplay, meaning a lot of us could play together. 

1 hour ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

That’s true, though that also meant lots of fighting, lots of instability which is why to me it was a fair trade even if it meant better control by the Empire.

Which is basically the argument against the Stormcloaks. ;)

1 minute ago, The Good Doctor said:

No, I don’t think that.

Well alright then, lol. What I'm getting at is that it seems to me the writers are using dramatic irony. Basically taking the expectations of players ("I saved Morrowind/Cyrodiil") and ping ponging it.

I gotta give them credit on Morrowind. As beloved as that game was, it was gutsy to destroy it like that. Had a lot of people mad as I recall. As are the empire fanboys about the empire's demise, though they're stil mostly in the Denial stage of grief. XD

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Celan said:

Nah, the Stormcloaks were uniting Skyrim to fight the Empire and become one independent nation.

High Rock even under the Empire was so unstable that it made our recent deaths of so many Jarls in the rp look like nothing. They were more divided than the Redguards.

It took a Dragonbreak to quell it. It's not the same. And if you mean that people claim thats what Skyrim would be like under Ulfric, well the difference is we actually see that is the case for the Bretons. 

And it's not like I'm saying that the Empire is good for them. Like I said, it was like this even under their control. I'm just saying the dragon break's results weren't really that bad. And arguably beneficial to them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Good Doctor said:

XD I knew you’d say that. 

Speaking of online, how into pirate stuff are you? Balrog and I were talking about Sea of Thieves, which is a game I never would’ve considered buying if he hadn’t told me that it is going to have Xbox-PC crossplay, meaning a lot of us could play together. 

Not all that much in that I don't fantasize being one but I do love a good pirate story.

And I'd especially love any game that's decent and lets us play together so I'll definitely consider it. 

1 minute ago, Celan said:

I that there is more nuance to the situation than that. While I’m against the Empire’s presence in every nation that doesn’t want them in both the 3rd and 4th eras, I think it’s fair to say that their management of Skyrim post-Great War is considerably worse than their pacification of the Iliac Bay.

In Skyrim’s case, they’re rewarding their most loyal allies by outlawing their god, crushing down on their laws and traditions, and allowing a common enemy to abduct and terrorize their people. In the Iliac Bay, the situation got so fucked that they sent an Agent to calm things down and eventually stepped in to maintain the peace he created.

8 minutes ago, Celan said:

Well alright then, lol. What I'm getting at is that it seems to me the writers are using dramatic irony. Basically taking the expectations of players ("I saved Morrowind/Cyrodiil") and ping ponging it.

I gotta give them credit on Morrowind. As beloved as that game was, it was gutsy to destroy it like that. Had a lot of people mad as I recall. As are the empire fanboys about the empire's demise, though they're stil mostly in the Denial stage of grief. XD

I agree completely. And what’s awesome about it is that they manage this without taking away the player’s accomplishments. We did save Morrowind and Cyrodiil, and even though the results of this were disastrous, things are still better off than they’d have been if we hadn’t done those things. It makes it so the players can feel some serious weight and consequences of what we did, but without turning the protagonists into complete fuck-ups.

On a similar note, I think that the Morrowind storyline at large has been the best overarching story that Bethesda has told over the course of these last three games. Certainly one of the most consistent and surprising. It is an absolute rollercoaster, and you can look at an image of Morrowind before and after every major event and tell what period the image is of. Place embodies Padhome.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Crap, I never even realized this was a thing. We’ve killed off six Jarls! :rofl: 

XD I wasn't gonna say anything till after the moot. Didn't wanna give anyone reason to not want Skyrim at the head of the alliance, lol.

But yea... we fucked up some Jarls man. 

58 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Don’t forget Brund. And Dengier had two successors before Fenrald, one of whom died offscreen.

Ah yea lol, and I think Brund had the shortest reign ever...

Bretons gonna be talkin shit soon. 

It's funny too because Baldur was born in Markarth and he got to kill their Jarl lol.

I forgot about Igmund and didn’t count Maven. So the final count is Ulfric, Brund, Elisif, Laila, Dengier, Igmund, and the other Falkreath one. Seven. We can do better. XD 

4 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Bretons gonna be talkin shit soon. 

I dunno about that just yet. Would have to look back at BT’s before/after lists of Breton nobles, but I do remember that it’s oretty damned long lol.

Lota Breton heads rolled that year. 

• Like 1