Civil War Aftermath OOC #2

Well Dales is going off the deep end. Somewhat interested to see where things are going though I feel it's 50/50 on whether or not the mystery will have a satisfying answer. Though I find it nice that the elf-thing also took the time to point out some obvious things to Dales such as trusting Baldur just because Dales likes him is naive. And even you've gotten better Balrog, there's still a need for better spell and grammar checking. Also to give our current post a little attention as well. 

Rebec post was nice. Not much to nitpick on even. Although I will say that if Rebec and Arle set the baseline for the Thu'um, dragons will really have precedence be to near godlike. 

A new knight in High Rock could be interesting. Though I will admit I have a hard time caring about new characters right now as there are so many of them. But I hope he will at least provide and interesting POV if nothing else. 

As for Ubbe, I cannot imagine a happier ending for him than him dying in battle and going to Sovngarde. I think he'd fight Tsun even after he's been admitted to Shor's hall. Or even join him as junior gatekeeper just to fight the newcomers. 

Not much to say about the Boldir and Mila post that I haven't about the others already. Is Mila 15 or 16? She must be rather late for puberty then. But she's also been put through a lot of stress, not eaten well and not exactly lived a healthy life overall for the last year or so. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Power corrupts, absolute power... is a whole lot of fun!

17 minutes ago, Witchking of Angmar said:

Is Mila 15 or 16? She must be rather late for puberty then. But she's also been put through a lot of stress, not eaten well and not exactly lived a healthy life overall for the last year or so. 

Somewhere in that range. When the chapter ends and we agree on a more specific time to have passed, I’ll be able to more accurately saw how old Mila is.

And yeah, that was my reasoning. Stress and manurishment can both cause complications and delayed puberty. That’s why I didn’t have it happen until she’d spent a couple months living in relatively normal and healthy circumstances.

48 minutes ago, Witchking of Angmar said:

Hide contents

Well Dales is going off the deep end. Somewhat interested to see where things are going though I feel it's 50/50 on whether or not the mystery will have a satisfying answer. Though I find it nice that the elf-thing also took the time to point out some obvious things to Dales such as trusting Baldur just because Dales likes him is naive. And even you've gotten better Balrog, there's still a need for better spell and grammar checking. Also to give our current post a little attention as well. 

Rebec post was nice. Not much to nitpick on even. Although I will say that if Rebec and Arle set the baseline for the Thu'um, dragons will really have precedence be to near godlike. 

A new knight in High Rock could be interesting. Though I will admit I have a hard time caring about new characters right now as there are so many of them. But I hope he will at least provide and interesting POV if nothing else. 

As for Ubbe, I cannot imagine a happier ending for him than him dying in battle and going to Sovngarde. I think he'd fight Tsun even after he's been admitted to Shor's hall. Or even join him as junior gatekeeper just to fight the newcomers. 

Not much to say about the Boldir and Mila post that I haven't about the others already. Is Mila 15 or 16? She must be rather late for puberty then. But she's also been put through a lot of stress, not eaten well and not exactly lived a healthy life overall for the last year or so. 

I can't blame you for the lack of interest, on the most basic level that character is so I can experience the Breton campaigns on the front line.

5 hours ago, Witchking of Angmar said:

Hide contents

Rebec is learning and Arle barely knows anything, so of course, they're not going to be decisive in any large scale battles. Don't think anyone envisioned that. Not something I care about, personally, anyway.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Celan said:

Rebec is learning and Arle barely knows anything, so of course, they're not going to be decisive in any large scale battles. Don't think anyone envisioned that. Not something I care about, personally, anyway.

Even still. If she is able to send someone flying with only two words, she’d really be able to break formations. Which can be quite decisive depending on the battle.

But the only thing I would complain about is that grasping the Thu’um and new words in mere minutes stretches my suspension of disbelief. It really brings up questions like how the Thu’um was lost in the first place if some people could learn it so easily. 

1 minute ago, Witchking of Angmar said:

Hide contents

Even still. If she is able to send someone flying with only two words, she’d really be able to break formations. Which can be quite decisive depending on the battle.

But the only thing I would complain about is that grasping the Thu’um and new words in mere minutes stretches my suspension of disbelief. It really brings up questions like how the Thu’um was lost in the first place if some people could learn it so easily. 

I don't know if it's something in the lore but they mentioned she came from a line of Tongues.

10 minutes ago, Witchking of Angmar said:

Hide contents

I always held that it’s not as hard as the graybeards claim anyway. Hard to master several thu’um or more, sure. 

But to have lost the thu’um entirely has to have taken effort. I refuse to believe they just said “Well we did fail to beat the elves this one time. Fuck this shit.” Just because Beth wanted to make you super specul or for convenience.

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

Just now, The Good Doctor said:

I can get it for the islanders, but Rebec and Baldur both spent a lot of time meditating and practicing before they got a decent grasp of their respective shouts.

For Rebec I was referring to Wuld. It was only shown/mentioned that it was the only time she practiced that one and she did succeed within minutes.

If I recall their thu’um practice took hours and this was the only time we saw Rebec trying to use the word or meditate on the word. Baldur gave her that word to meditate on two posts ago. Besides, all it does is allow her to closeline people epically XD cant wait to see that.

As for Arle, she hasn’t even mastered Fus, she’s had a lucky fluke with it saving her life once, deflecting one arrow, and besides that pushed some sand. She’s far from grasped the word, Celan’s just making the thu’um less vidya gaemy.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Witchking of Angmar said:

Though if it was anywhere near that easy then there is no reason for the Thu’um to have died out. Just spread and pass on a couple of dragon words and their meaning and there you go, it will never die out.

Easy for those who have the mind for it. But if tongues actively went around trying to suppress the thu’um after Jurgen spanked them by having people challenge their way and losing, and they submitted, then that would explain why and how it died out.

But ain’t nothin convincing me Nords all just let it die out themselves.

2 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

The hit new dating service, gaemy.

:rofl:

Hell, having them be able to achieve small effects of the thu’um is better than them not being able to use it at all and then out of nowhere have full powered shouts.

and shouts are a form of magic anyways, some Nords could have a higher affinity for it just like some people do for regular magic.

• Like 1

Fuck:dntknw:

Indeed. Though technically it’s not magic at all since it doesn’t use “magicka” and instead relies on spiritual energy supposedly.

Really it’s a form of tonal architecture, literally it speaks or “sings” things into existence, into the Dream. So it’s a 100% philosophical power, and totally reliant on whether or not the person has the mindset and natural affinity for it.

Which is why dragons and Nords are the ones known for using it, and Dwarves with their more refined forms. Not the thu’um, they have other means.

• Like 2

“In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. And God said, Yol Toor Shul: and there was light.”

XD 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Indeed. Though technically it’s not magic at all since it doesn’t use “magicka” and instead relies on spiritual energy supposedly.

Really it’s a form of tonal architecture, literally it speaks or “sings” things into existence, into the Dream. So it’s a 100% philosophical power, and totally reliant on whether or not the person has the mindset and natural affinity for it.

What other types of magic fall into this category?

Edit: I ask because I’ve refrained myself from mentioning magicka in relation to shadow magic because I’m not really sure if it uses magicka or is different, like the Thu’um

Edited by BTCollins

8 minutes ago, BTCollins said:

Edit: I ask because I’ve refrained myself from mentioning magicka in relation to shadow magic because I’m not really sure if it uses magicka or is different, like the Thu’um

You mean magic that doesn’t actually use magic? Well, probably the Akaviri power that sounds pretty similar to the thu’um.

I think they call it Ki.  Like the Japanese spiritual energy.

Aside from that, CHIM most certainly.

And Sword Singing.

If not, you know how games have a second wind ability for warriors?

Would be cool if shadow mages had something like that. Where they could use a spell to actually replenish their magic pools once.

Not sure what the limits for that would be.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BTCollins said:

Thu’um, the Dwemer’s manipulations of the Heart of Lorkhan, and the Numidium all fall under the Tonal Architecture category for sure. The Wild Hunt and Sword Singing probably don’t use magicka as we know it, but I’m not sure they’d be tonal architecture. Dawn magic is magic of creatia so it probably is similar to the Heart/Dwemer stuff but weaker since it was wielded by mortals without a god’s heart.

I’m not sure if shadow magic would use magicka or not. Maybe only so far as it is necessary to open their minds up to view the “doors” you have described.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

If I recall their thu’um practice took hours and this was the only time we saw Rebec trying to use the word or meditate on the word. Baldur gave her that word to meditate on two posts ago. Besides, all it does is allow her to closeline people epically XD cant wait to see that.

Though that's also kinda the thing about writing, if it's not mentioned it's generally assumed to not have happened. So for what is shown it took only minutes. Even if it was more it wasn't much more. 

38 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

As for Arle, she hasn’t even mastered Fus, she’s had a lucky fluke with it saving her life once, deflecting one arrow, and besides that pushed some sand. She’s far from grasped the word, Celan’s just making the thu’um less vidya gaemy.

I would argue that she did grasp it enough to use to an extent that it can be useful. 

30 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Easy for those who have the mind for it. But if tongues actively went around trying to suppress the thu’um after Jurgen spanked them by having people challenge their way and losing, and they submitted, then that would explain why and how it died out.

But ain’t nothin convincing me Nords all just let it die out themselves.

Though it is stated in that very post that the islanders let it die out because they found it useless. 

32 minutes ago, Centurion said:

Hell, having them be able to achieve small effects of the thu’um is better than them not being able to use it at all and then out of nowhere have full powered shouts.

I agree that it looks more natural if it's a gradual growth. I just find it as it has been shown to be so quick that it raises questions. 

17 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Thu’um, the Dwemer’s manipulations of the Heart of Lorkhan, and the Numidium all fall under the Tonal Architecture category for sure. The Wild Hunt and Sword Singing probably don’t use magicka as we know it, but I’m not sure they’d be tonal architecture. Dawn magic is magic of creatia so it probably is similar to the Heart/Dwemer stuff but weaker since it was wielded by mortals without a god’s heart.

I’m not sure if shadow magic would use magicka or not. Maybe only so far as it is necessary to open their minds up to view the “doors” you have described.

Honestly, I think that the opening doors thing should probably be mostly mental. The actual act of manipulating might require magicka.

Maybe for beginners it does, to extend the reach of what your mind can perceive in other simultaneous possibilities.