Civil War Aftermath OOC #2

Just now, BigBossBalrog said:

I'm not complaining, i'm stating facts. I've already apologised for that, and it has zero relevance to what we're discussing right now. If you want you can put PSA at the front of your post saying it's before the Empress arrived in the Imperial City. It's no a big deal like how your trying to make it. 

The posts can certainly be re-arranged later on. It just makes me miffed when I have to put up with great patience when you do not. Especially when this post has been waiting on you for the last week.

Power corrupts, absolute power... is a whole lot of fun!

On both the posts

I liked Dales and Naafy’s display. Exactly how I imagined the arrival of this dragon, and tying the legend of Tiber to him is a good idea. Though I worry what these new arrivals will bring, both dragon and Roscrean. I can’t imagine everyone is going to look kindly upon foreigners and dragons. Though Dales certainly has some added protection, that's for sure  

One thing I think might need to be corrected, though, is that Third Legion soldier having mithril armor. That seems awfully expensive for a Legion soldier, especially when coupled with the ebony he had as well. 

Now that Dales is back in Cyrodiil, I’m really looking forward to seeing her and Krojun’s conversations about the soul binding, the dragon, the mercenaries, the Elder Council, hell, even their baby. How their dynamic changes will be interesting to see

• Like 3

1 minute ago, BTCollins said:

On both the posts

Hide contents

I liked Dales and Naafy’s display. Exactly how I imagined the arrival of this dragon, and tying the legend of Tiber to him is a good idea. Though I worry what these new arrivals will bring, both dragon and Roscrean. I can’t imagine everyone is going to look kindly upon foreigners and dragons. Though Dales certainly has some added protection, that's for sure  

One thing I think might need to be corrected, though, is that Third Legion soldier having mithril armor. That seems awfully expensive for a Legion soldier, especially when coupled with the ebony he had as well. 

Now that Dales is back in Cyrodiil, I’m really looking forward to seeing her and Krojun’s conversations about the soul binding, the dragon, the mercenaries, the Elder Council, hell, even their baby. How their dynamic changes will be interesting to see

It was just the officer XD He's a son of a duke.

" This legionary was different from the rest, he bore a long, red cape, made from velvet, and embroised with a Imperial Dragon sigil, threaded with gold. His set of armor was silvery, practically sparkling. Mithril. On his back he carried a heavy greataxe, "

28 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

It was just the officer XD He's a son of a duke.

" This legionary was different from the rest, he bore a long, red cape, made from velvet, and embroised with a Imperial Dragon sigil, threaded with gold. His set of armor was silvery, practically sparkling. Mithril. On his back he carried a heavy greataxe, "

Yeah, but that’s not explained in the post. Just that there’s some random Legion officer with ebony weapons and mithril armor. It’s not a big deal, it just really stood out since it wasn’t explained. 

1 minute ago, BTCollins said:

Yeah, but that’s not explained in the post. Just that there’s some random Legion officer with ebony weapons and mithril armor. It’s not a big deal, it just really stood out since it wasn’t explained. 

Well I assumed now that war was about to happen, and really just in general, alot of noble families would want to put their sons (and daughters) in the Legion as commissioned officers for prestige and glory (the more rich ones could make sure they served away from the front in this case) The Romans did that alot, yes? Thought it didn't need explaining cause I thought it was clear, sorry about that XD

11 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Well I assumed now that war was about to happen, and really just in general, alot of noble families would want to put their sons (and daughters) in the Legion as commissioned officers for prestige and glory (the more rich ones could make sure they served away from the front in this case) The Romans did that alot, yes? Thought it didn't need explaining cause I thought it was clear, sorry about that XD

I have no idea what the Romans did, though it seems against the meritocratic nature of the Legion for nobles to be able to pay to have their sons and daughters as officers. I figured nobles being officers and leading troops was much more a Breton thing. I didn’t think Cyrodiill’s noble families were particularly interested in having their children serve in the Legion, though I could be wrong. It does seem like the Colovians to do that

I always assumed anyone could reach any rank in the Legion if you worked hard enough and we're a good soldier. But at the same time, if someones rich and they want to pay for a commission for their son or daughter as an officers, they can do that too.  

Nibenese sure, but as you said, I though Colovians we're very gung ho for war.

Does the post have to be chronologically after the council? I think we usually try to keep things in line in the same province, but I think it'll be fine. The council stuff had special circumstances, and I know part of the delay is my fault, sorry for that.

Dales did well, considering the dragon's testiness. I like the idea of some people being Cyrod nationalists who would actually resent the empire spending coin and blood going after stray provinces. Not sure about the inclusion of Maormer in a casual mention- wouldn't that be a really big deal?

I take it that the Roscreans are a Varangian Guard of sorts? The Atmoriant is interesting. I'm not sure about the dude speaking Greek and using "thy." It doesn't fit any style we've had in the rp for the legion, nor the games, so it clashes a bit.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Celan said:

Does the post have to be chronologically after the council? I think we usually try to keep things in line in the same province, but I think it'll be fine. The council stuff had special circumstances, and I know part of the delay is my fault, sorry for that.

Hide contents

Dales did well, considering the dragon's testiness. I like the idea of some people being Cyrod nationalists who would actually resent the empire spending coin and blood going after stray provinces. Not sure about the inclusion of Maormer in a casual mention- wouldn't that be a really big deal?

I take it that the Roscreans are a Varangian Guard of sorts? The Atmoriant is interesting. I'm not sure about the dude speaking Greek and using "thy." It doesn't fit any style we've had in the rp for the legion, nor the games, so it clashes a bit.

We see some Sea Elves in TESO, and I thought it would be okay to have a tiny group of them (there's only two), and it not being a big deal. They were very rare in the third era, but it's a new century at this point. I know Pyandonea is somewhat isolated, but I dont think seeing a handful of them every decade would be too much of a stretch. It was also the Imperial City, one of the biggest trade hubs in all of Nirn. 

That's what Dales exactly is. I think i've made it clear she's quite patriotic and nationalistic. She feels, if the Empire couldn't hold onto these provinces then, they can't now (especially with the war upon them), and why waste time, money, and lives when there going to slip out of their hands anyway? She wants to consolidate the still significant power the Empire has, and use it protect, and make prosper, Cyrodiil. That's all the matters to her. That was the main point of her speech.

And the Bloodsworn we're originally NotVargarians XD Until me and Czar decided to make them more distinctive, they still have heavy Vargarian influence though. I've been trying to give the Draconus Dynasty some Byzantine flavor (as long as it's lorefull and faithful to the spirit of the Empire)

40e751440d951e388bb3e07be5f97dd9--slavic

• Like 1

I

4 hours ago, Celan said:

Hide contents

The Atmoriant is interesting.

Im glad you think so! I wanted to explore a 

Boxer of the Quirinal esque theme, someone so far past their prime that its lingering on the pathetic. In a world of great warriors and wizards to have a aching mercenary still clinging to the lifestyle.

Well the opening dream was a bit melodramatic for my taste. I'm assuming that it's that maid Dales loved that she is speaking to. Though I'd like to believe it's actually not the maid and instead the elf screwing with Dales. Would make it all much more interesting. 

One point that however really bothered me is Naf's talk with the other dragon. With the mixing of english and dragon words gives the impression that they didn't only speak the dragon language, translated for the reader. And as someone who speaks two languages I find it very immersion breaking. For example I would never for example speak english to a Swede if I didn't need to. 

As for the description of the city it was nice enough. Though I do feel it's exaggerated on how thriving it is. The only waterway to the Imperial City from outside Cyrodiil goes either through Dominion waters or past Black Marsh and Morrowind that at the best of times could be considered passively aggressive neutral. If anything I think Anvil is the one that has managed these times the best. Also no Saxhleel sets up any stalls in the city ever. 

As for Dales speech, feels like a standard good guy speech. Though then again, it's hard to make a good and original speech. What I'm more interested in the politics behind closed doors that will come of Dales return. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Witchking of Angmar said:

Hide contents

Well the opening dream was a bit melodramatic for my taste. I'm assuming that it's that maid Dales loved that she is speaking to. Though I'd like to believe it's actually not the maid and instead the elf screwing with Dales. Would make it all much more interesting. 

One point that however really bothered me is Naf's talk with the other dragon. With the mixing of english and dragon words gives the impression that they didn't only speak the dragon language, translated for the reader. And as someone who speaks two languages I find it very immersion breaking. For example I would never for example speak english to a Swede if I didn't need to. 

As for the description of the city it was nice enough. Though I do feel it's exaggerated on how thriving it is. The only waterway to the Imperial City from outside Cyrodiil goes either through Dominion waters or past Black Marsh and Morrowind that at the best of times could be considered passively aggressive neutral. If anything I think Anvil is the one that has managed these times the best. Also no Saxhleel sets up any stalls in the city ever. 

As for Dales speech, feels like a standard good guy speech. Though then again, it's hard to make a good and original speech. What I'm more interested in the politics behind closed doors that will come of Dales return. 

Paarthurnax did this all the time in game, and it's not like I was going to make it all draconic. I'm certainly capable of doing so lol but I don't think most of y'all would follow.

Because of that, my only options were to speak in full tamrielic, or just go with what the game does and have them break into some draconic from time to time. Like saying Keizaal instead of Skyrim, Joor instead of mortal. I personally find it stranger for a dragon to speak no draconic at all, so for me that's the formula I'm sticking with. 

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

Just now, ColonelKillaBee said:

Paarthurnax did this all the time in game, and it's not like I was going to make it all draconic. I'm certainly capable of doing so lol but I don't think most of y'all would follow.

Because of that, my only options were to speak in full tamrielic, or just go with what the game does and have them break into some draconic from time to time. Like saying Keizaal instead of Skyrim, Joor instead of mortal. I personally find it stranger for a dragon to speak no draconic at all, so for me that's the formula I'm sticking with. 

Or you could have written it in english and simply mentioned it, or left it to be assumed, that they speak in the dragon language just by typing the shouts in english. All posts I've done in Black Marsh have been written in english, they still don't actually speak the common tongue there. 

Granted paarthurnax wasn't speaking to another fluent dovah, but still I'm personally not multi lingual except some very basic spanish, and know some of yall are actually multi lingual like Gina, but I ain't. It fits for me and seems consistent with what we saw in game regardless of the fact that it's dragon to dragon. At the end of the day it's still translated for the reader. Only times I broke into draconic were for shouts, common words in draconic most people are familiar with, or so you know what draconic word they're emphasizing and what it's supposed to mean. 

56 minutes ago, Witchking of Angmar said:

Or you could have written it in english and simply mentioned it, or left it to be assumed, that they speak in the dragon language just by typing the shouts in english. All posts I've done in Black Marsh have been written in english, they still don't actually speak the common tongue there. 

I prefer my way. Aside from me not being multi lingual like you, this style is more fun for me. I especially don't care to write the shouts in english when they aren't actually spoken in english even in game except when naming the shout.

2 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

I assume that Paarthurnax did it for the Dragonborn’s sake, but would’ve just spoken full draconic if he was talking to other dragons. Even so, I am glad you didn’t do this as translating it would’ve been tedious (but damn if I wouldn’t like to see what it would’ve looked like. XD)

I don’t see it as a problem. Lots of shows, movies, and games just translate stuff to English for the viewer’s sake but still slip in some words in the correct language to remind us what they’re speaking. Almost every Assassins Creed does this. Vikings does it a LOT. Most novels set in foreign countries but written by English authors do it.

That's exactly what it is. It's fully translated but if there weren't at least some references to the actual language I'd be miffed. Sometimes readers and listeners need that reminder. I personally do.

I'll throw in one or two short sparing back and forths just for you ;) Something that doesn't need a translation and short enough to rely on context.

Just now, Witchking of Angmar said:

I plan to do this in the Fallout roleplay later one. Have the group speak Spanish but write it in English, since I don’t trust my grasp of the language to do it any other way. Though as y’all’ve probably noticed I will sprinkle on a couple phrases now and again. But when it comes to full on conversations I’ll just write it in English and say they’re speaking in Spanish. I think that’s my preferred way of doing it, full conversations translated with phrases untranslated and sprinkled into otherwise English conversations now and again

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

I prefer my way. Aside from me not being multi lingual like you, this style is more fun for me. I especially don't care to write the shouts in english when they aren't actually spoken in english even in game except when naming the shout.

I mean that writing the shouts in english would make it clear to the reader that all the spoken lines are in the dragon language, just translated for the reader. 

Just now, ColonelKillaBee said:

That should be automatically understood if you ask me, they're dragons. 

It didn't give that impression though. It felt a lot more like they were talking english. Especially with that other dragon saying they had no word for whore.