Civil War Aftermath OOC #2

Like I said, that's the easiest, and funnest method for me and in my opinion you guys reading. I don't see how that impression for that specific sentence would be any clearer unless I just had him say "Your name is the new word for whore" which in my opinion's a lot less stinging than him saying his draconic name in place of it.

Anyway to each their own but I don't think it's an issue, it matches the game's style.

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

I'm surprised that's the criticism that popped up tho and not perhaps Nafaalilargus not mentioning the irony of him serving Paarthurnax's voice who's more or less allied with mankind. Him calling Nafaalilargus a "whore" in that context should've stuck out. That was intentional since I plan on it coming up again.

1 minute ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Like I said, that's the easiest, and funnest method for me and in my opinion you guys reading. I don't see how that impression for that specific sentence would be any clearer unless I just had him say "Your name is the new word for whore" which in my opinion's a lot less stinging than him saying his draconic name in place of it.

Anyway to each their own but I don't think it's an issue, it matches the game's style.

I mean that if they have no word for whore, then he would have to use the common tongue version, which mixed with the rest of the sentence gives the impression he is speaking in the common tongue. 

Men ändå, jag är ju bara en jävla utböling. Vad vet jag om språk? 

Power corrupts, absolute power... is a whole lot of fun!

Just now, ColonelKillaBee said:

I'm surprised that's the criticism that popped up tho and not perhaps Nafaalilargus not mentioning the irony of him serving Paarthurnax's voice who's more or less allied with mankind. Him calling Nafaalilargus a "whore" in that context should've stuck out. That was intentional since I plan on it coming up again.

I haven’t actually gotten to the dragon stuff in my reading yet, which is why I haven’t commented on the post. I only jumped in to give my 2¢ on the language thing.

57 minutes ago, Witchking of Angmar said:

I mean that if they have no word for whore, then he would have to use the common tongue version, which mixed with the rest of the sentence gives the impression he is speaking in the common tongue. 

"You are a Nahfahlaar, which we had no word for before now. Know what that word is? Nahfahlaar!"

lol

It just doesn't work unless I did what you did and go full swede. Draconic.

2 minutes ago, Witchking of Angmar said:

Google translate did something funky with utböling for me. It said you’re just a damn “ballooning”. XD It only changed to outcast after I deleted the first part.  

1 minute ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

"You are a Nahfahlaar, which we had no word for before now. Know what that word is? Nahfahlaar!"

lol

It just doesn't work unless I did what you did and go full swede. Draconic.

Or you could have gone a bit more descriptive or what a whore is instead of using the word. I think it could also have been more insulting if it was described. I also don't think whore is a word most dragons know or remember if we're to be very technical. 

3 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Google translate did something funky with utböling for me. It said you’re just a damn “ballooning”. XD It only changed to outcast after I deleted the first part.  

I was going for "foreigner". For which utböling is a somewhat derogatory word for. Utlänning I guess is the more correct one. 

I get what he's saying, in that that particular sentence probably breaks up the flow since you'd have to be picturing perfect draconic and then he substitutes in the word "whore", and you'd either think they're speaking tamrielic or that they did what I just said.

But. The only way I could truly convey that is as I said, if I were typing out full draconic and showed you that's what he did instead of you assuming it.

I chose to go with the flow of the post and let you do the rest. It was easier.

They seem to know Tamrielic perfectly well, and if someone like Nafaalilargus gave them a reason to I bet they certainly would.

And I think the dragon gave you plenty description beforehand already, his being a merc, selling his power for petty material gain like a joor. The context was perfectly clear.

4 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

And I think the dragon gave you plenty description beforehand already, his being a merc, selling his power for petty material gain like a joor. The context was perfectly clear.

I meant instead of him saying "you're a whore" he could have said something along the lines of "you're just like those pathetic mortals that sell themselves to anyone with coin". 

It may be a bit limiting to force such consistency on yourself, but I find it forces you to be creative by having such limitations.

It’s been forever since I looked into this stuff so the answer might be obvious. Don’t dragons absorb the souls of dragons they kill, or is that just a dovahkiin power? If they do, then it really isn’t much of a question whether or not Agbeyndun survived. Naaf should know that he did.

Ok sure that in that instance probably would've been better but it's not a point to the style entirely, only that specific sentence.

I mean it's not the first time we've sacrificed consistency for convenience in this rp, and certainly not the largest example.

56 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Hide contents

It’s been forever since I looked into this stuff so the answer might be obvious. Don’t dragons absorb the souls of dragons they kill, or is that just a dovahkiin power? If they do, then it really isn’t much of a question whether or not Agbeyndun survived. Naaf should know that he did.

They have to be within proximity though, and he wouldn't immediately die. But yea even though it's not shown in game, I'm pretty sure dragons do steal the souls of other dovah.

Convenience comes first. I also think it makes perfect sense for Naafy to speak in this bastardised tongue, cause the other Dovah's most likely think the Lingu Franka of the common tongue has "infected" him so to speak. This could be Naafy's way of saying "fuck you" by speaking in common to them.

5 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Hide contents

Actually, I'm assuming they have to be within proximity. There's no lore basis on that, but that's what I always assumed.

Makes sense. We know that the killer doesn’t always get the soul considering that Miraak could appear and snatch them from us. And if the nearest dragon always absorbed a fallen dragon’s soul, then they wouldn’t have remained with their bodies when they were buried. 

Something hilarious that I forgot to comment on here.

This sentence here: The few Middlander Roscreans who never abandoned the old style and armor of the Atmoran Dragon Priests threw their helmets back inside the barracks and hoped the Dragon wouldn't devour them.

While making it I acidently mistyped "wouldn't" and it autocorrected to would without me knowing it, so it turned into "threw their helmets back inside the barracks and hoped the Dragon would devour them" XD

Roscreans got some freaky fetishes.

• Haha 1

@BigBossBalrog @ColonelKillaBee

Good post, you two. :thumbup: I got a huge kick out of Naaf’s entrance in the city and the ruckus that caused. As well as his standoffishness that slowly turned into his head getting bigger at the thought of being worshipped. XD It was good to see Dales in the second half of the post being happy to accept her role as a leader instead of going back to feeling depressed and dewelling on the dead.

I like to imagine Yornar is watching all this from a palace window, looking at the dragon like “Hey, didn’t that guy crash in my cave a few thousand years ago?”

I’ve got a few nitpicks, but most aren’t worth mentioning. I do think that the prosperity and current trade situation of the Imperial City had to be a little exaggerated. Like Witch said, the only water trade they can really get right now is up and down the Niben and not much further (unless the Dominion navy are terrible at their job), so thousands of foreigners all over the place seems a little strange. Some of these descriptions seemed more fitting for Anvil. Though overall I liked it. The imagery was on point.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

@BigBossBalrog @ColonelKillaBee

Hide contents

Good post, you two. :thumbup: I got a huge kick out of Naaf’s entrance in the city and the ruckus that caused. As well as his standoffishness that slowly turned into his head getting bigger at the thought of being worshipped. XD It was good to see Dales in the second half of the post being happy to accept her role as a leader instead of going back to feeling depressed and dewelling on the dead.

I like to imagine Yornar is watching all this from a palace window, looking at the dragon like “Hey, didn’t that guy crash in my cave a few thousand years ago?”

I’ve got a few nitpicks, but most aren’t worth mentioning. I do think that the prosperity and current trade situation of the Imperial City had to be a little exaggerated. Like Witch said, the only water trade they can really get right now is up and down the Niben and not much further (unless the Dominion navy are terrible at their job), so thousands of foreigners all over the place seems a little strange. Some of these descriptions seemed more fitting for Anvil. Though overall I liked it. The imagery was on point.

XD I didn't use any numbers, I just said there was decent amount of Nords, and some of them we're from Skyrim. I always had the impression the IC was a big trade hub, like Constantinople. Filled with visitors. But thanks, glad you liked it. 

You can't be sad forever XD Gotta move on somewhere, thought Dales had been through enough in the last chapter that she could finally do that. Her dying on that mountain and her submersion into "the spring", however, was the catalyst for that and alot of changes, which I plan to delve into later on.

@TheCzarsHussar

A minute of foreign speech within the longboat ended with a few dozen letters thrown atop the longboat's deck, to which Hagen crumpled up a handful and tossed them atop the dockyard, most landed while a few drifted into the water.

"Some very fine paper that is."

:rofl: 

It was also hilarious when they got “personally insulted” by the very idea that someone else would dare to use armored horses. I think that the Roscreans’ biggest weakness and biggest strength is how alien they are. It can make for some confusion when reading about them, but it also makes most of their interactions with people from Tamriel hysterical. 

Funniest part though was when word came about the dragon. All the different responses were perfect. Especially the Atmoriant’s. "He’s come back to devour me." ... "You incessant dragon worshippers, look what you've awoken. It will bring ruin." :rofl: 

This also had some of the best executed worldbuilding Roscrea’s gotten so far, imo. Stuff like the Atmoriant clans getting wiped out by the Dragon Cult coming up in conversation, or the way they organized an impromptu Thing and chose leaders during the post felt like very natural ways to expand on their history and culture IC rather than some of the information dumps we’ve gotten before. More entertaining to read, too.

All in all, these mercenaries are a fun lot. Probably my favorite Roscreans so far. “Corvus” and Hagen especially. I loved the quiet build up of the Atmoriant’s character, with us slowly learning more about him piece by piece until it ended with him being given a name. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

@TheCzarsHussar

Hide contents

A minute of foreign speech within the longboat ended with a few dozen letters thrown atop the longboat's deck, to which Hagen crumpled up a handful and tossed them atop the dockyard, most landed while a few drifted into the water.

"Some very fine paper that is."

:rofl: 

It was also hilarious when they got “personally insulted” by the very idea that someone else would dare to use armored horses. I think that the Roscreans’ biggest weakness and biggest strength is how alien they are. It can make for some confusion when reading about them, but it also makes most of their interactions with people from Tamriel hysterical. 

Funniest part though was when word came about the dragon. All the different responses were perfect. Especially the Atmoriant’s. "He’s come back to devour me." ... "You incessant dragon worshippers, look what you've awoken. It will bring ruin." :rofl: 

This also had some of the best executed worldbuilding Roscrea’s gotten so far, imo. Stuff like the Atmoriant clans getting wiped out by the Dragon Cult coming up in conversation, or the way they organized an impromptu Thing and chose leaders during the post felt like very natural ways to expand on their history and culture IC rather than some of the information dumps we’ve gotten before. More entertaining to read, too.

All in all, these mercenaries are a fun lot. Probably my favorite Roscreans so far. “Corvus” and Hagen especially. I loved the quiet build up of the Atmoriant’s character, with us slowly learning more about him piece by piece until it ended with him being given a name. 

Corvus is my favourite cause I fucking love giants XD (their my second favourite fantasy creatures) Czar did a fucking amazing job with them. Can't wait for their interactions with Imperials and Cyrodiil. 

Some trivia that Czar explained to me  Corvus has been alive since the initial invasion of the Septims back so long ago. And that "Khajit pelt"? It belongs to a fucking Snow Demon from Akavari, and he was a client soldier for the Tsaesci for a long time. He was afraid of Naafy because he believed him to be Tosh Raka, the Dragon God, who he had the misfortune of facing in a massive battle when he was under the snake people's service.

• Like 1