Civil War Aftermath OOC #2

1 minute ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

We all agree this is mainly important for the regular characters but I think it's equally as important at least somewhat of a discussion for the others is had as well going into something like this.

It’s cool if you answer this later when you’re feeling better, but when you get the chance would you mind clarifying what you mean here? 

3 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

When the fourth chapter comes, that may not be the case any longer. Sure, I know that we have a mature group here, especially in comparison to other rp groups, but there's something to be said for at least somewhat controlling things to make it easier for us in the future. 

Like Doc said, feel free to wait to respond, but I am curious what specifically you have in mind for 'somewhat controlling things.' I'm not totally opposed to a certain amount of coordination and oversight since it can be easy to under or over exaggerate things like army sizes, army movement speeds, casualty numbers, etc. Though I'm not sure if that's specifically what you have in mind or something else. 

57 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

It’s cool if you answer this later when you’re feeling better, but when you get the chance would you mind clarifying what you mean here? 

Sure, it's not debating so I can manage. Debating with a headache always makes it worse lol.

Basically what Collins already said. I brought it up before with Brund too, like his limitation of having to absorb magicka from living things after using so much power through his thu'um and draining his briarheart. 

Or Baldur's flame resistance fading after abusing it, being weakened from his emotional state, overusing the thu'um, etc. 

I don't think we gotta sit and make these limitations as a group per character, but I think this should be something we as a group say is necessary for certain characters like this at the least, and leave it up to others to do themselves.

Sure, some characters in the lore don't have these weaknesses. But I don't think that means we in this sort of writing project necessarily should be copying that. A lot of the times they only exist in the lore and not in an active game role and for good reason. And even when they do, it's in a single player environment. This not being a single player environment so to speak makes such things potentially chaotic to place in an environment such as this.

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

57 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I actually was more confused on what you meant by “regular characters” and “others”. 

By regular characters, I’m guessing you mean people like Baldur, Maggie, Endar, etc. People who show up a lot and have CS’s, and by others, characters like Martullus?

My bad lol, I meant regular characters being the "normals". And others being the more powerful ones.

17 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Feel free to add on.

I propose that we balance the problem in a way that everyone can agree with. We flip off Martin’s statue of Akatosh and give every character with a CS a Daedric artifact of their choice. That way, Yornar, the thu’um, whatever can never be an issue again. The RP will be perfectly balanced, as all things should be.

I’ll go first. I want the Rueful Axe for Boldir.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, The Good Doctor said:

I propose that we balance the problem in a way that everyone can agree with. We flip off Martin’s statue of Akatosh and give every character with a CS a Daedric artifact of their choice. That way, Yornar, the thu’um, whatever can never be an issue again. The RP will be perfectly balanced, as all things should be 

I’ll go first. I want the Rueful Axe for Boldir.

Nobody's overpowered if everyone's overpowered :clap:

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

I brought it up before with Brund too, like his limitation of having to absorb magicka from living things after using so much power through his thu'um and draining his briarheart. 

Or Baldur's flame resistance fading after abusing it, being weakened from his emotional state, overusing the thu'um, etc. 

I don't think we gotta sit and make these limitations as a group per character, but I think this should be something we as a group say is necessary for certain characters like this at the least, and leave it up to others to do themselves.

Sure, some characters in the lore don't have these weaknesses. But I don't think that means we in this sort of writing project necessarily should be copying that. A lot of the times they only exist in the lore and not in an active game role and for good reason. And even when they do, it's in a single player environment. This not being a single player environment so to speak makes such things potentially chaotic to place in an environment such as this.

My worry is that not every character will have such a 'mechanical' weakness like that, and forcing them to at this stage would feel, well, forced. Endar, for instance. He has the limitations of magicka reserves same as every mage but his magic is more mundane that Brund's, so he wouldn't have the same sort of limitation in that way. Just in the way magicka limits every mage. And that would vary by how powerful the mage is. Though, as Doc has pointed out, Endar still lost. And Gracchus is the same way, though he has other limitations like being mostly proficient in destruction and not so much other schools. And his master level spell takes some charging.

Is that all you would want? Because I think everyone would freely admit to magicka limiting mages, but not all characters will have the same specific limitations Brund and Baldur do because the nature of their magic is more unique. Morane is like them in that her shadow magic operates not off magicka per se, so she's limited to a smaller pool of uses than she is for spells. 

Edit: I guess a solution for that would be just to make sure we realize and emphasize the limitations of the magicka pool. And maybe clarify which spells would require concentrating on and which could be fire and forget, so as limit things that have to be concentrated on. But that seems like it could lead to a bunch of discussions about particular spells

Edited by BTCollins
  • Like 1

Agreed. Nothing to debate on the points made.

Something I think could be brought up is maybe the cost of Witchie's immortality. I remember once that he appeared older than he was until draining someone's soul. Perhaps he actually has to do this periodically to maintain his young appearance and life in general.

Just a suggestion.

For ordinary magic though, more mundane stuff like the cost and mental capacity of working more than one advanced spell at a time can be given more focus. Endar I'm pretty sure did that with the crystals. He had to get access to those, steal them before he could challenge all of the necromancers at once, which gave him a pretty much unlimited supply of magicka. As limited as his supply of welkynd stones was.

• Like 2

I was also thinking about the crystals Yornar uses, which I assume are bits of creatia similar to Ayleid stones. He doesn't seem to worry about running out, as if there's an endless supply.

Such "I win" buttons should be severely limited. That goes for the Thalmor, too. I think a lot of their seemingly invincible magic are based on illusions, like manipulating the Void Nights for their political ends.

• Like 1

The void night I saw as an experiment gone wrong that they capitalized on rather than an illusion. Their magic isn’t invincible but they’re the real deal.

Though were it just an illusion which it certainly could have been, it’s still pretty powerful if it made the world believe the moons disappeared.

• Like 1

What's y'all's favorite thing that you've written? Whether that be an individual scene, a post, or even just a line of dialogue. I'm curious to know how y'all perceive your own writing and what stands out to you in particular. And since we're coming up on the end of a pretty massive chapter, there's a lot of stuff we've written to reflect on. And break it down by character if you want to, in case you have more than one favorite

• Like 1

For Baldur and especially Brund I’m gonna say the moot. I’m pretty proud of how it turned out after so much planning. It actually turned out better than what I originally intended.

For Daric, certainly his “coming of age” post where he killed the Uderfrykte.

Maori, I think the post where he encountered the Altmer twins who tried to do him a favor to make up for what they did to his people. Aside from his sisters death that was probably the most vulnerable he’s been.

And my three stooges... lol probably the post with Daric.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, BTCollins said:

What's y'all's favorite thing that you've written? Whether that be an individual scene, a post, or even just a line of dialogue. I'm curious to know how y'all perceive your own writing and what stands out to you in particular. And since we're coming up on the end of a pretty massive chapter, there's a lot of stuff we've written to reflect on. And break it down by character if you want to, in case you have more than one favorite

"Holy Tomatoes" for me.

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

Despite approaching two years of writing here I haven't really done anything memorable, the closest thing I can say to being my favorite thing is when (I can't remember exactly) Baldur asked Theudofrid his beliefs and the latter listed how each god would demand how he answer.

Mine would be Theudofrids interaction with Daric. Was very authentic, enjoyed that post a lot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My favorite thing I’ve written for the Tynes was the ending to their last Origin post when the twins were sitting around a fire trying to summon Hircine. That is probably my favorite scene I’ve written overall.

For Mila, it’s gotta be the Jerall Mountains trek with Sibbi and his men. Not sure about a specific part, but that was my favorite stage of her story.

Not sure for Boldir and Endar.

@BTCollins

What about you?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

here I haven't really done anything memorable,

You wrote the only scene in the RP that was scary enough for me to remember it based on that reason alone. The druid astral projection/sleep paralysis thing was fucking terrifying.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

@BTCollins

What about you?

Better be that retcon’d post XD 

Joking aside my votes Theodore coming to power. It was like a big middle finger for every time we suggested Collins was a goody good when he wrote lol.

And his other middle finger to Dales XDXD 

For you Doc, I have to say first that, I completely missed your origin posts... :( I gotta get on those in general.

But for Mila, all of her stuff alone trying to make it in the Imperial City starting with her becoming a Prisoner.

Boldir... that’s hard to say honestly. Probably the moments where he’s out of his element lol like with the period thing, or dealing with necromancers and thieves, and when that gets turned upside down and he slaps on his helmet, grabs his axe and is most in his element, tearing fuckers up.

• Like 2