Roleplayer's Off Topic Thread #40

53 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Here’s a Starfield question. Are weapon/armor stats static, or are they based on level and rarity?

Like, an iron sword in Skyrim is always an iron sword. If you want something better, you need to find a different kind of sword, like steel or ebony. 

There is no "level 12 purple/epic iron sword" that somehow has better stats than the visually identical "level 7 green/rare iron sword".

Which I appreciate about Skyrim, and almost all Bethesda games, as I really dislike the whole "leveled/tiered weapons" system. 

So there’s your standard “leveled list” weapon roster like elder scrolls and fallout (i.e. lvl1-6= hunting rifle and lvl 20-50= combat rifle)

there’s also “legendary” armors and weapons like in fallout. But these are in teirs of purple and blue etc based on how many legendary effects it has. So a regular combat knife in grey, and combat knife with one legendary effect is blue, two is green, three is gold etc

and then the final bit is Bethesda removed the receiver upgrades from fallout 4’s modification table so I can’t pick up a stock urban eagle pistol and upgrade the receiver to advanced and have the most powerful version anymore. In order to get the more powerful version you play the loot lottery or by them. It’s goes:

standard

calibrated

refined

advanced

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Fuck:dntknw:

2 minutes ago, Centurion said:

So there’s your standard “leveled list” weapon roster like elder scrolls and fallout (i.e. lvl1-6= hunting rifle and lvl 20-50= combat rifle)

there’s also “legendary” armors and weapons like in fallout. But these are in teirs of purple and blue etc based on how many legendary effects it has. So a regular combat knife in grey, and combat knife with one legendary effect is blue, two is green, three is gold etc

and then the final bit is Bethesda removed the receiver upgrades from fallout 4’s modification table so I can’t pick up a stock urban eagle pistol and upgrade the receiver to advanced and have the most powerful version anymore. In order to get the more powerful version you play the loot lottery or by them. It’s goes:

standard

calibrated

refined

advanced

Small thing to add onto this is there is at least one legendary set (suit/pack/helmet) that won't be the same as when you open up the container it is in it randomizes the stats or at least the special traits. Not sure if there was anything like that in Fallout tbh but so far I only know of one quest in Starfield where you get a whole set reward. Sorry if this counts as spoilers since I didn't tag it.

• Sad 1

Just now, Elden Clown said:

Sorry if this counts as spoilers since I didn't tag it.

You’re fine. That’s plenty vague and has nothing to do with the plot anyway.

Not a fan of this obsession with randomization. Not just from Bethesda, from lots of devs. If I kill Grogbog the Destroyer, I want him to drop the Axe of Epiphinating every single time, and I want it to always have the same stats. Randomizing it just encourages save scumming to get the better drops. Wish they’d leave that shit to the MMOs.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Thanks.

I love this.

Kinda hate the rest. Is it similar for armors?

Armors are the same way. It’s like blended system from their previous game including 76, but at the very least I’m not having to deal with a lvl 4 maelstrom rifle and lvl 16 maelstrom rifle

Fuck:dntknw:

1 minute ago, Centurion said:

but at the very least I’m not having to deal with a lvl 4 maelstrom rifle and lvl 16 maelstrom rifle

76 did this. It’s what prompted me to ask, actually. XD I hate this in games, and don’t want to see Bethesda go down this path. Sounds like it’s a blend, so it’s better than it could be. But still leaning in the wrong direction for my tastes. 

11 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Not a fan of this obsession with randomization. Not just from Bethesda, from lots of devs. If I kill Grogbog the Destroyer, I want him to drop the Axe of Epiphinating every single time, and I want it to always have the same stats. Randomizing it just encourages save scumming to get the better drops. Wish they’d leave that shit to the MMOs.

I love certain MMOs but 100% agreed. Leave it in MMOs. Imagine if the dragon priest mask's were randomized back in Skyrim. They pop out, only named dragon priest. Which one who knows, 6 priests later and you finally have the mask you wanted though.

8 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

It's also stupid and weird when a random foot soldier drops some uber legendary item :Wimperial: 

Imagine if in Elden Ring, for example, you found Godfrey's Axe on some random mook 

Come on now, he’s a random foot solder with two stars beside his health bar. That means he’s special, I promise!

• Haha 3

33 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Bethesda moving in the direction of procedurally generated locations and quests with randomly generated loot is definitely not my favorite thing, either. 

• Like 1

I think it's fine and works well for games like Minecraft, Deep Rock, and Diablo who have it literally infused into their series DNA and all the facets of gameplay, but Bethesda seems to be relying on it as a crutch and there's isn't even that well-designed. Like the Chalice Dungeons, but worse because seem to be adding less and less hand-crafted stuff.

1 hour ago, BigBossBalrog said:

I think it's fine and works well for games like Minecraft, Deep Rock, and Diablo who have it literally infused into their series DNA and all the facets of gameplay

Certainly, there is a place for procedural generation. But it is not a good replacement for hand-crafted locations with hand-placed items in them. 

It is extremely gratifying to sneak through a very deliberately laid out dungeon and find the Ratslayer rifle at the end. So much better than going through an AI dungeon,  opening a chest, and getting a "Two Shot 10mm Pistol" based on a dice roll. 

1 minute ago, The Good Doctor said:

I’m sorry to hear that, bud. Sounds like he had a good run.

He was a good boy. Started having bad health problems earlier this year. And was suffering for a few months now before naturally passing.

I wanted him to be put to sleep surrounded by us, but it just didn't get to happen that way. I think he died alone.

Edited by TheCzarsHussar
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, The Good Doctor said:

Certainly, there is a place for procedural generation. But it is not a good replacement for hand-crafted locations with hand-placed items in them. 

It is extremely gratifying to sneak through a very deliberately laid out dungeon and find the Ratslayer rifle at the end. So much better than going through an AI dungeon,  opening a chest, and getting a "Two Shot 10mm Pistol" based on a dice roll. 

The weird thing is that between Oblivion and Skyrim, Bethesda talked about recognizing the need for handcrafted dungeons and bragged about that for Skyrim. I suspect the procedural/ radiant stuff was pressure from Zenimax to make big games with less hands-on. The same way Bioware is apparently stripping down the narrative to the bare bones (which Bethesda also tried with 76). These companies will never learn.

• Like 1