Roleplayer's Off Topic Thread #40

21 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

What kind of aesthetic would you have gone for in Starfield @The Good Doctor

I probably wouldn’t change it. I prefer something more stylized, like Star Wars or Halo, but Beth made Starfield from the ground up with this style in mind, so I reckon it is the most fitting for the setting. Just not for my personal taste. But that’s fine; can’t expect everything to be made for me. XD 

Like, slapping a Halo paint job over it would probably make very little sense in the context of the world. 

2 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I probably wouldn’t change it. I prefer something more stylized, like Star Wars or Halo, but Beth made Starfield from the ground up with this style in mind, so I reckon it is the most fitting for the setting. Just not for my personal taste. But that’s fine; can’t expect everything to be made for me. XD 

Like, slapping a Halo paint job over it would probably make very little sense in the context of the world. 

Or like how 343 changed Halo 4's art style and backpedelled when an RTS spin off shat on them from a visual perspective XD

12 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Or like how 343 changed Halo 4's art style and backpedelled when an RTS spin off shat on them from a visual perspective XD

That’s different because Halo was a well established series by the time they changed it. 

Starfield is Bethesda’s own brand new creation with nothing pre-existing to contradict, so they can make it look however they want. What they went with ain’t really my thing, but other people like @Elden Clown love it, and I can’t really begrudge them or Bethesda for that because it’s a matter of preference rather than continuity. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

They potentially can yes, to single targets

Mages have the ability to do massive aoe damage however and are long range. Cantrips arent your bread and butter, theyre your spammables to use when and if you ran out of the big boy spells. Its just to assure you can do something, without wasting spell slots.

Close quarters fighters can do more single target damage because they have to actually get up close, and usually dont have access to stuff like misty step.

I played dragon age, being able to pause the action if you played on something besides easy difficulty was actually a major advantage because so much is going on at once. Thats also a big difference in what games we play, the combat for me needs to be something that I can enjoy as a major part of the game and not just something I want over and done.

@Celan we're never gonna agree on combat talks because we dont look at or enjoy combat for the same reasons or in the same way.

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

16 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

That’s different because Halo was a well established series by the time they changed it. 

Starfield is Bethesda’s own brand new creation with nothing pre-existing to contradict, so they can make it look however they want. What they went with ain’t really my thing, but other people like @Elden Clown love it, and I can’t really begrudge them or Bethesda for that because it’s a matter of preference rather than continuity. 

Thank you and same to you from the other side. People like what they like. This gonna sound goofy/generic but I was always that kid that looked at the Stars, loved planetary science, Astronomy, etc. Wanted to work at NASA, fell in love with their designs and their aesthetic. Absolutely love the rovers and how the look, always have lol.
I've always wanted to be one of the people that manage to somehow make a rover that can survive Venus for longer than just a little bit alas I'm bad at math XD
But for that reason and a few other the aesthetic in Starfield is a perfect spin and love letter. With that said, here is my iffy NASA inspired ship, I had little credits. I'll make it look better later. 
Photo_2023-09-10-183330.thumb.png.57f2fac4b9299efa613f2da16e5677a6.png

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

@Celan we're never gonna agree on combat talks because we dont look at or enjoy combat for the same reasons or in the same way.

Indeed. ;) And you have to get that far before you get an AOE spell. It's not gonna happen so I refunded the game. I'm glad it's doing well and well received, though.

Unity wants to know what you got on your machine:

https://www.engadget.com/unity-will-start-charging-developers-each-time-their-game-is-installed-214851801.html?guccounter=1

1 hour ago, Celan said:

Unity wants to know what you got on your machine:

What’s funny is the privacy issue you bring up doesn’t get any attention in the article. They’re more concerned with the devs having to pay fees.

Makes me wonder, based on this system, it sounds like people with good internet could theoretically rack up fees for a dev company by using bots to constantly uninstall and reinstall their games all day every day, and there’s nothing they’d be able to do about it besides drop Unity.

15 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

You can get an aoe spell by level 2 :p

tis a shame because Gale, the wizard, is literally everything you like in a love interest.

I watched some videos online. I was interested in the druid until he went all "I don't do monogamy." XD 

1 minute ago, The Good Doctor said:

What’s funny is the privacy issue you bring up doesn’t get any attention in the article. They’re more concerned with the devs having to pay fees.

Makes me wonder, based on this system, it sounds like people with good internet could theoretically rack up fees for a dev company by using bots to constantly uninstall and reinstall their games all day every day, and there’s nothing they’d be able to do about it besides drop Unity.

It emphasizes the fact that you really don't own games anymore at all. You don't even get to install them on different machines without someone tracking that for profit. Makes me wonder if CDPR will stick with Unity engine, since this is sort of a violation of their non-DRM policy.

3 minutes ago, Celan said:

I watched some videos online. I was interested in the druid until he went all "I don't do monogamy." XD 

Sounds like most RPG romance options these days. :lol: 

3 minutes ago, Celan said:

Makes me wonder if CDPR will stick with Unity engine, since this is sort of a violation of their non-DRM policy.

Guess we’ll find out. Just up and changing engines would be a ton of work, I imagine. Especially when you’ve got a big team that’s already familiar with this one. 

2 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

One thing I like is how the Ghouls aren't just zombies XD And those Knights look badass 

Agreed on the knights, but I abhor the ghoul design. The point is that they do look like zombies. The whole "noseless burn victim" design they’ve been running with since Fallout 4 looks like crap.

My favorite Bethesda-era ghoul design is the ferals in Fallout 3-NV. I think it’d be cool if they had made all ghouls look similar to that, except the ones who haven’t lost their minds tend to wear more clothes and have better posture.

But ideally, this is what a ghoul should look like:

Fo1_set.png

8 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Agreed on the knights, but I abhor the ghoul design. The point is that they do look like zombies. The whole "noseless burn victim" design they’ve been running with since Fallout 4 looks like crap.

My favorite Bethesda-era ghoul design is the ferals in Fallout 3-NV. I think it’d be cool if they had made all ghouls look similar to that, except the ones who haven’t lost their minds tend to wear more clothes and have better posture.

Hide contents

But ideally, this is what a ghoul should look like:

Fo1_set.png

Old Fallout FMV was so soulful XD I miss the old portrait style of adventure games.  

Looking at it more; the Ghoul Cowboy certainly looks clunky, but I don't think it's really zombie? He kinda looks like the Red Skull from Captain America, but it might just be the lightning. 

3 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Looking at it more; the Ghoul Cowboy certainly looks clunky, but I odn't think it's really zombies? He kinda looks like the Red Skull from Captain America, but it might just be the lightning. 

Dang, you’re right. Red Skull is the perfect comparison. :rofl: 

I know he doesn’t look like a zombie. That’s my issue, I wish he looked more like a smart zombie and less like Red Skull.

4 hours ago, Celan said:

It emphasizes the fact that you really don't own games anymore at all. You don't even get to install them on different machines without someone tracking that for profit. Makes me wonder if CDPR will stick with Unity engine, since this is sort of a violation of their non-DRM policy.

The Druid is exceptionally horny lmfao XD and a hoe

My kind of Druid right there, I live by that code

Except he tried to fuck me too so. 

“You’re turning me down? Now? You tended to me with the care of a lover not a friend!”

^and that’s why I’m an asshole to everyone now. So nothing is misconstrued.

• Haha 2

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee