Roleplayer's Off Topic Thread #40

1 minute ago, The Good Doctor said:

I imagine the two series are destined to leapfrog each other in sales every time a new game (besides 76) comes out for either. They’re both juggernauts.

Those numbers don’t really make me happy, though. Just means they’ll want to make more games like Fallout 4, the least Fallouty of all the Fallouts.

It's pretty crazy that a single, divisive game is half it's sales numbers. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Microsoft brings literal Spartans, but the weebs spam dodge roll and somehow evade all their bullets.

Even further, due to a shitty glitch put in by their new servant Bethesda, the Spartans are rocking on Legendary difficulty, so all it takes to bring them down is a literal peashooter 

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

"HORSE ARMOR!"

You know what makes that scene even more poignant? Had the Orcs the resolve and courage of men, they could have checked the Rohirrim's charge. There is no greater counter to cavalry than a wall of pikes, billhooks and halberds. But only if everyone is disciplined and doesn't falter.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

You know what makes that scene even more poignant? Had the Orcs the resolve and courage of men, they could have checked the Rohirrim's charge. There is no greater counter to cavalry than a wall of pikes, billhooks and halberds. But only if everyone is disciplined and doesn't falter.

I like how both cavalry charges in the trilogy account for that.

The first one is against Uruk-hai pikemen, who do have strong resolves, but they are facing an unstoppable downhill charge while getting blinded by Gandalf amplifying the sunlight.

Second one is as you say, terrified, poorly disciplined, probably not even very experienced orcs who cower when their advantage is no longer overwhelming. But I think it’s at least as important to note that this is not a direct charge into a well-prepared line. The orcs are getting flanked hard, and Theoden even splits his forces in three while commanding Eomer to provide an additional flank on the pikemen. You can see in one of the panning shots that the ranks Gothmog cobbles together to protect his army’s side are very thin, as he wasn’t ready for this at all. Once the Eorlingas break that first unimpressive line, they’re basically just wrecking havoc on a confused army’s flanks, something cavalries thrive at.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I like how both cavalry charges in the trilogy account for that.

The first one is against Uruk-hai pikemen, who do have strong resolves, but they are facing an unstoppable downhill charge while getting blinded by Gandalf amplifying the sunlight.

Second one is as you say, terrified, poorly disciplined, probably not even very experienced orcs who cower when their advantage is no longer overwhelming. But I think it’s at least as important to note that this is not a direct charge into a well-prepared line. The orcs are getting flanked hard, and Theoden even splits his forces in three while commanding Eomer to provide an additional flank on the pikemen. You can see in one of the panning shots that the ranks Gothmog cobbles together to protect his army’s side are very thin, as he wasn’t ready for this at all. Once the Eorlingas break that first unimpressive line, they’re basically just wrecking havoc on a confused army’s flanks, something cavalries thrive at.

And there torn apart by Godzilla sized Elephants XD Whoops 

Though the Mûmakil charge does provide Theoden with another of top tier badass moment. Man’s got a line of gigantic monsters moving toward his cavalry. He sees it, gives his best "are you kidding me?" look, then immediately pulls himself together and barks "reform the lines!" to prepare another charge. What a legend.

By the way, if you ever wanted a sign that I’ve written a lot of RP posts, my phone tries to autocorrect Mûmakil into "Mila kill". XD 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Some more stuff; Gamepass, while overall profitable, is very expensive to keep running. Apparently company's are asking for more and more money to put there stuff on it 

Interesting. Sounds like how things were for Netflix before everyone and their mother entered that scene to compete with them.

The high demands for more money make sense with all the loss in sales Gamepass causes. Wonder how it works for Microsoft-owned devs like Bethesda.

2 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Interesting. Sounds like how things were for Netflix before everyone and their mother entered that scene to compete with them.

The high demands for more money make sense with all the loss in sales Gamepass causes. Wonder how it works for Microsoft-owned devs like Bethesda.

Right now the "gamepass at home" Sony offers is legit pathetic, so I don't see that becoming a problem...yet. If some of the bigger independent's like EA and Ubisoft smell blood, I can see that quickly changing. 

Though I think the combination of Bethesda, ID, Activsion, and Microsoft themselves with a ton of indies will always have quite a bit of value as a library. 

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Theoden even splits his forces in three 

Also, a cool "blink and you miss it" detail of this scene. Theoden commands Grimbold to take his company right after getting past the wall. It’s hard to see in the very brief and chaotic panning shot over the Rohirim cutting through the orcs, but you can distinctly make out a large force splitting off and looping right just past the wall. Wasn’t necessary to show it, but they did anyway. These movies are awesome for that kind of stuff. 

• Like 2