Roleplayer's Off Topic Thread #40

My company laid off 800 people this week, 3 of them at my facility. Sales are great, but as inflation drags on the year end numbers not looking good, I'm guessing.

Night City Wire, with my movie boyfriend, who says he was already a fan of CDPR from the Witcher games!!1! :love:

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

@The Good Doctor Next week! They basically shadow-dropped it! 

Oh heck yeah! Gaming’s been treating me gooood lately. XD Hope Ada’s actress got some better direction this time around, but even if not, more RE4 is still exciting news.

I’ll probably crack down and finish the game + this DLC come October. Seems fitting.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Celan said:

Night City Wire,

Gaming treating us all good lately. :lol:

Haven’t finished the full video, just Elba’s part, but man, that trailer was amazing. Great prelude for his character, and if not for the fact that we’ve been warned of betrayals, it alone would automatically have been enough to get me leaning toward his side in whatever conflict this is gonna be. 

15 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Gaming treating us all good lately. :lol:

Haven’t finished the full video, just Elba’s part, but man, that trailer was amazing. Great prelude for his character, and if not for the fact that we’ve been warned of betrayals, it alone would automatically have been enough to get me leaning toward his side in whatever conflict this is gonna be. 

That corpo bitch is so dead. XD 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Oh heck yeah! Gaming’s been treating me gooood lately. XD Hope Ada’s actress got some better direction this time around, but even if not, more RE4 is still exciting news.

I’ll probably crack down and finish the game + this DLC come October. Seems fitting.

They showed some of the content off (the bug prison and the beserker Giant) that didn't make the transfer from the OG to the Remake, so I think it's great there making Ada's content more unique by incorporating stuff from the OG! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Celan said:

That corpo bitch is so dead. XD 

The one working for the President of the New United States? Yeah, based on what happened in the trailer, I reckon if you don’t take her out, Elba certainly will. XD 

Right now I plan on working for whoever can cure me from my terminal cyber illness. But we’ll see when the time comes. 

5 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

The one working for the President of the New United States? Yeah, based on what happened in the trailer, I reckon if you don’t take her out, Elba certainly will. XD 

Right now I plan on working for whoever can cure me from my terminal cyber illness. But we’ll see when the time comes. 

That'll probably be the catch.

Idris Elba also produced and raps in two songs on one of the new radio stations, and he's a DJ on one of the other new ones.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Celan said:

That'll probably be the catch.

Idris Elba also produced and raps in two songs on one of the new radio stations, and he's a DJ on one of the other new ones.

Based on the trailers, I think you’re right. I like Idris Elba, but if it comes down to that, he better have a hell of a sob story to get me to choose his life over mine. That said, I’m getting big Hillary Clinton vibes from Madam POTUS. Even if she does promise a cure, trusting her probably won’t be the wisest move. XD 

That’s cool about Idris performing for the game. Guy’s made my short list of actors who seem genuinely cool outside their roles. Which I guess is fitting for the topic, cause Keanu Reeves is on that list too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigBossBalrog said:

They showed some of the content off (the bug prison and the beserker Giant) that didn't make the transfer from the OG to the Remake, so I think it's great there making Ada's content more unique by incorporating stuff from the OG! 

Sounds like more of why I loved the Remake so much to begin with. True to the OG, but with little tweaks and twists to improve and clean up places where it was kinda rough.

Also, not sure if I ever mentioned it before since my focus was more on how bad the VA did, but I really like Ada’s design in this game. Nails the style of the character, but is more practical than the OG.

16 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Sounds like more of why I loved the Remake so much to begin with. True to the OG, but with little tweaks and twists to improve and clean up places where it was kinda rough.

Also, not sure if I ever mentioned it before since my focus was more on how bad the VA did, but I really like Ada’s design in this game. Nails the style of the character, but is more practical than the OG.

Her Chinese qipao is iconic, but I could never take it seriously (I know it's a homage to Bond femme fatale but man is it stupid)  XD

8598c4493c29e18845ae6f7b2e5585df%255B1%2

I always liked her tactical gear much better. 

45 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

I always liked her tactical gear much better. 

I’m less a fan of the tactical gear for Ada. This series is already full of tacticools with their vests, pouches, etc. and Ada is unique for being one of the few MCs who stands apart from that. Would rather just make the story about Jill, Chris, Barry, or Hunk if that’s the direction they want to go.

My favorite Ada design was in the remake of RE2, with the dress and the trench coat. Very classical seductress spy look without going over the top with it.

Joe Baker’s still got my favorite RE protagonist design, though. Talk about something different. XD 

4 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I’m less a fan of the tactical gear for Ada. This series is already full of tacticools with their vests, pouches, etc. and Ada is unique for being one of the few MCs who stands apart from that. Would rather just make the story about Jill, Chris, Barry, or Hunk if that’s the direction they want to go.

My favorite Ada design was in the remake of RE2, with the dress and the trench coat. Very classical seductress spy look without going over the top with it.

Joe Baker’s still got my favorite RE protagonist design, though. Talk about something different. XD 

That's what makes it so cool XD

STARS_GROUP_PIC.webp.ffc571a874bf12c6cb00969cec264b46.webp

RANK_C.webp.32ab340ed8e3bc375cdaf1f906a935e2.webp

Fg2PGQEUAAAOYcK.jpg:large

I guess it's preference. I use the Jill tactical vest mod when I play Resident Evil 1 XD

And yeah Mr "I'm going to physically overpower my mutated brother and clothesline him into the swamp" will always be awesome XD

31 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

That's what makes it so cool XD

I that stuff too, don’t get me wrong. Just not for Ada. It’s like making a 007 film where James Bond is kitted out like Arnie in Predator. It looks cool, sure, but why are you using Bond for this?

RE gives me my tacticool fix and then some already. It doesn’t have to be literally every character. Let the cool spy be a cool spy. XD 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/us-game-revenue-sees-3-rise-to-42bn-in-august-us-monthly-charts

"Madden NFL 24 has taken the top spot in Circana's August Top 20, but has been somewhat overshadowed by Armored Core 6: Fires of Rubicon in second place despite releasing one day before the reporting period ended.

Circana's monthly US sales report also showed the FromSoftware title ranked as the 20th best-selling game of 2023 year-to-date after one day on the market."

Wow, Bandai was spot on that FROM's name was enough to sell a previously niche franchise like hotcakes; how the fuck does a mech game  overshadow Madden?! 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Wow, Bandai was spot on that FROM's name was enough to sell a previously niche franchise like hotcakes; how the fuck does a mech game  overshadow Madden?! 

That is pretty wild. Armored Core was super niche, fairly obscure, and hasn’t had a game in a very long time. FromSoft have been on a role for so long now, it’s kind of crazy. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

That is pretty wild. Armored Core was super niche, fairly obscure, and hasn’t had a game in a very long time. FromSoft have been on a role for so long now, it’s kind of crazy. 

Maybe Microsoft should have bought them instead XD (Thank GOD, there owned by a super nationalist Japanese company)

6 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Maybe Microsoft should have bought them instead XD (Thank GOD, there owned by a super nationalist Japanese company)

I doubt they ever would’ve sold. Fromsoft is rolling in dough without Microsoft’s help. Outside of Activision with CoD and sports games, I can’t think of any other development team who tops sales charts so consistently while also releasing games with such frequency. Whatever they’ve got going on at that studio, it’s working like a charm.

1 minute ago, The Good Doctor said:

I doubt they ever would’ve sold. Fromsoft is rolling in dough without Microsoft’s help. Outside of Activision with CoD and sports games, I can’t think of any other development team who tops sales charts so consistently while also releasing games with such frequency. Whatever they’ve got going on at that studio, it’s working like a charm.

It's one of the only times an A and B team seem to work for the company XD

Man, the amount of mid ass “reviews” of Starfield I’m seeing are a real bummer. People apparently aren’t a fan of the game because the main quest isn’t urgent and encourages you to not focus on it. I’ve even seen people saying that F4 is better which is patently fucking false. I’m nearing my first 100 hours mark in Starfield and I’m beyond satisfied. Even if after a while I don’t feel as tho the game is a top 5 game for me, I definitely got my $70 worth. It’s got stuff for everyone, it’s got space navy quests, it’s got bounty hunter quests, it’s got space cowboy quests, it’s got espionage, it’s got piracy, it’s got exploration, it’s got smuggling quests, it is the most well rounded Bethesda game in terms of content they’ve ever released. The game doesn’t plop you down with the threat of an Oblivion invasion, Dragon apocalypse, or kidnapped son and that’s perfect, it has you do a quest and then says “the gates are open, have fun” and there’s plenty of fun to be had. 

and y’all know me, I wouldn’t be saying any of this if I didn’t truly believe it. I don’t have some complaints about the game that I haven’t fully formulated in by brain yet, but once those solidify I’ll be expressing them here. But I would highly encourage y’all to immediately discount any of these this mid-ass reviews saying Starfield is garbage, because they are patently wrong. For the first time in a long time I actually look forward to the time when I can play video games and all I want to do is play Starfield. I thought about another game since it came out. The only thing holding this game back right now is Bethesda waiting until next year to release the modding tools. And even then, Starfield doesn’t need mods to be fun, which is already a step about Fallout 4.

Fuck:dntknw:

21 minutes ago, Centurion said:

Man, the amount of mid ass “reviews” of Starfield I’m seeing are a real bummer.

Balrog and I were talking about this just yesterday. So many of these big review sites are so motivated by controversy and pettiness that it’s impossible to take anything they say seriously. Most of these "professionals" barely even play the games before they give their review, so positive or negative, their word doesn’t mean jack to me.

42 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Balrog and I were talking about this just yesterday. So many of these big review sites are so motivated by controversy and pettiness that it’s impossible to take anything they say seriously. Most of these "professionals" barely even play the games before they give their review, so positive or negative, their word doesn’t mean jack to me.

It’s not even the big review platforms. It’s mainly YouTubers that I’m seeing, some of them I’m actually subscribed to because I enjoy there content and they definitely aren’t giving the game a fair shake

I don't trust reviewers, but the reception seems to be more lackluster than you'd expect for a big Bethesda game. Current Steam player count has BG3 higher, even though Starfield came out later and isn't a spreadsheety isometric RPG with much less budget. And like, it's not even close.

However, Starfield has more sales on Steam, so maybe some people just haven't played it yet.

17 minutes ago, Celan said:

I don't trust reviewers, but the reception seems to be more lackluster than you'd expect for a big Bethesda game. Current Steam player count has BG3 higher, even though Starfield came out later and isn't a spreadsheety isometric RPG with much less budget. And like, it's not even close.

However, Starfield has more sales on Steam, so maybe some people just haven't played it yet.

I've seen Player reactions have been quite a bit more lukewarm then usual Beth games too. 

As for the Youtubers, there always looking for a new subject to tear apart. Like vultures  

1 hour ago, Centurion said:

It’s not even the big review platforms. It’s mainly YouTubers that I’m seeing, some of them I’m actually subscribed to because I enjoy there content and they definitely aren’t giving the game a fair shake

I haven’t watched any reviews of it, but if the chief complaint is that the MQ isn’t urgent enough, then that’s a shame because I’d hate to see Beth revert to their usual habits in response.

Main complaint I’ve heard, mostly in passing, is that the procedurally generated planet exploration gets repetitive pretty quickly.

16 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I haven’t watched any reviews about it, but if the chief complaint is that the MQ isn’t urgent enough, then I don’t really care too much anyway. I’ve heard other people say that the planet exploration gets repetitive pretty quickly, which would be more of an issue for me, but I can say the same of exploration in Fallout 4, to be honest.

Another complaint that I see a lot is that that it’s not like no man sky or elite dangerous where you can literally fly between plants and fly into the atmosphere and stuff, and if that’s what people were expecting than they were being unrealistic and deserve to be disappointed