Roleplayer's Off Topic Thread #33

Best Brotherhood Chapter  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Which BoS chapter is your favorite?

• Lost Hills (California)
    • The Citadel (Lyons)
    • Prydwen (Maxson)
    • Hidden Valley (Mojave)
    • Chicago (Rogue Brotherhood)
    • Appalachia (Taggerdy or Expeditionary Force)

11 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

I'm telling you it'll be like watching an animated George R.R Martin novel XD 

Ehhh I’m not sure I totally believe that. I’ve heard mixed things about the writing in Berserk.

Also, I still don’t like or look for reasons to watch anime. I just like how creative and fun some of Ghibli’s stuff is. It is also way less visually jarring than most stuff. More grounded and doesn’t have most of the tropes that I dislike anime for. 

2 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Ehhh I’m not sure I totally believe that. I’ve heard mixed things about the writing in Berserk.

Also, I still don’t like or look for reasons to watch anime. I just like how creative and fun some of Ghibli’s stuff is. It is also way less visually jarring than most stuff. More grounded and doesn’t have most of the tropes that I dislike anime for. 

I mean that applies to Muira-Sensei, Beserk art style is grounded, but it has some of the most visually detailed dark fantasy visuals in any kind of medium :chaos: Beserk itself is very Western in it's art direction. 

9da0d1a2c9506e9a5ecfb0b2d8dfc832.png

ee85a63b-2134-4897-aff6-cde29930626b.jpg

2b68f270be7dcff3752bc2653cf0b378d08d2bfd

51e67a9a3184d0c67ec3d7f2ab7eb042.jpg

005.jpg

Writing is subjective, but the first three Arcs of Beserk (Blackswordsman, Golden Age, and the Milliniuem Falcon) are considered some of the best writing in the dark fantasy genre by alot of people. 

5 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I disagree. How much you enjoy writing is subjective. But how well-written something is, is not.

I subjectively love how the Batman and Robin movie is written, but objectively it is bad. XD 

Then i'll say the first three arcs of Beserk are an objective fact in there quality XD You don't become one of the most influential fantasy works in the last three decades for nothing. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Then i'll say the first three arcs of Beserk are objective fact in there quality XD You don't become one of the most influential fantasy works in the last three decades for nothing. 

I might give it a go some day. I’m not really interested in picking up a series. Two hour movies that I can finish in one evening are enough for me right now. 

• Like 1

Just now, TheCzarsHussar said:

Wait a minute, fuck I forgot to add the forests in the east :rofl:

Ah yes, the forests in the east that we all definitely would’ve noticed were missing if you hadn’t said something first…

XD That is a seriously good map, man. Quality stuff. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Ah yes, the forests in the east that we all definitely would’ve noticed were missing if you hadn’t said something first…

It bothers me because there's only supposed to be lowland forests hugging the mountains in the east, because of how little there was, seeing none now t r i g g e r s m e.

3 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

XD That is a seriously good map, man. Quality stuff. 

Again thank you very much dude!

Having more knowledge of shit since I first started writing has not only changed Roscrea's coldness but it's geography as a whole. The Middland Plateau is the oldest, highest and the only mountain range still geothermically active in Roscrea. Plus I've tried to show evidence of severe Glaciation in it's ancient past. Which is why both the Broadwall Tundra and southeastern Roscrea (where there's nobody settled) is so barren and filled with so many lakes. It extended out from the Middland Plateau and probably early on in the Kalpa receded back and scarred the landscape.

• Like 1

Been on a binge watching old Japanese movies; my new favorite is one called Kwaidan (it more or less translates to Ghost Story, and no not that Ghost Stories XD). It's an anthology; a damn good one, though there's no central narrative.  It's a collection of four stories of Japanese folklore; but unlike alot of Anthology stuff, it's almost four hours long, so each story is given alot of attention. Without spoiling much, each story is about a different ghost from Japaense folklore,

It's not that scary, but it's atmospheric as hell. The movie, which was released in 1964, is one of the very first (it might actually be the first) color movies in Japanese cinema, and it's one hell of a start, because the camera work and shots are legit breathtaking. 

4934topKwai.jpg

images-w1400.jpg?1291904266

629id_107_144_w1600.jpg

My favorite "short" is a story about a blind monk whose tricked to sing to the dead spirits of fallen warriors who died in the famous battle of Dan-No-Ura, the final battle of the Genpei war, in which the Taira clan made it's last stand, and the end result was a river of blood, a child-emperor throwing himself into the war to commit suicide , followed by all of his retainers joining him in the river to drown themselves.  There's this really amazing scene in which the monk does a full retelling of the epic through an instrumental poem, and it shows the battle in this super stylized nightmare sequence.  

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

All these news sites are screaming about how amazing it is they showed Loki have a romantic interest in a man in the new show, and i'm just like "call me when he fucks a horse" XD

Didn’t know about that, but I’ve heard the show is awful for other reasons and basically destroys the entire MCU retroactively.

6 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Didn’t know about that, but I’ve heard the show is awful for other reasons and basically destroys the entire MCU retroactively.

I haven't seen it, decided not to watch when I heard time-travel was involved, and time travel is 99.999999999999999999 percent shit in anything it's in XD

4 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

I haven't seen it, decided not to watch when I heard time-travel was involved, and time travel is 99.999999999999999999 percent shit in anything it's in XD

Apparently the new rules for the MCU have it so that literally everything is predestined by 'time lord' space lizards and nobody has actual free will. If anyone does anything that doesn’t result in the exact timeline that the time lords desire, they disintegrate those people and reset the timeline until it plays out the way they want it to. So if Tony Stark hadn’t sacrificed himself, he would’ve gotten murdered anyway and reset until he did. Basically making it meaningless. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, The Good Doctor said:

Apparently the new rules for the MCU have it so that literally everything is predestined by 'time lord' space lizards and nobody has actual free will. If anyone does anything that doesn’t result in the exact timeline that the time lords desire, they disintegrate those people and reset the timeline until it plays out the way they want it to. So if Tony Stark hadn’t sacrificed himself, he would’ve gotten murdered anyway and reset until he did. Basically making it meaningless. 

That's one way to jump the shark :rofl:

1 minute ago, BigBossBalrog said:

That's one way to jump the shark :rofl:

Speaking of jumping the shark, there is a scene in the time lizard place (which is run by humans for some reason) where some random desk clerk has like 9 infinity stones in his desk drawer to be used as paper weights. There really are no stakes anymore. 

Just now, The Good Doctor said:

Speaking of jumping the shark, there is a scene in the time lizard place (which is run by humans for some reason) where some random desk clerk has like 9 infinity stones in his desk drawer to be used as paper weights. There really are no stakes anymore. 

What the flying fuck, are they sabotaging the old work?

Just now, The Good Doctor said:

That part actually sounds funny XD

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

What the flying fuck, are they sabotaging the old work?

One of the creators went on and on in an interview about how there is a lot of weight behind the last ten years of movies, and how big it all was, and how important it all was, and then he proceeded to say that his objective was explain whey all that previous stuff was "bullshit". 

So to answer your question, yes. Literally, yes. 

5 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

That part actually sounds funny XD

It’s like if they made a movie set in the future of Middle Earth and some random Hobbit is blinged out with a 'One Ring' on every finger, just to joke about how much more powerful they are now than anything we’ve seen before.