Roleplayer's Off Topic Thread #31

2020 Presidential Election: "It Could Be Worse" Edition  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Which ruthless conquerer would you vote to be your next president?

• Darth Sideous
    • Caesar (Fallout version)
    • King Radovid
    • Daenerys Targaryen (finale version)

On the topic of Boba's personality.

He's was in the Sarlaac pitt for who knows how long. In Clone Wars Hando was able to convince Boba to tell were he was keeping the hostages by telling him it's what his father would have done. Also in the cut episode; he decided to take on Cad Bane cause he didn't want anymore innocent people to die. He became much more ruthless when he became an adult, but maybe the Old Boba began to resurface again when he had such a long time to reflect. He could be remorseful, like Daud. 

14 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

On the topic of Boba's personality.

Hide contents

He's was in the Sarlaac pitt for who knows how long. In Clone Wars Hando was able to convince Boba to tell were he was keeping the hostages by telling him it's what his father would have done. Also in the cut episode; he decided to take on Cad Bane cause he didn't want anymore innocent people to die. He became much more ruthless when he became an adult, but maybe the Old Boba began to resurface again when he had such a long time to reflect. He could be remorseful, like Daud. 

I don’t care about cartoon kid Boba. I’m just talking about the badass from the movies. But if they establish he has changed and give good justifications for that, I’ll be fine with it.

I just really don’t like it when characters leave, experience tons of off-screen development, then come back completely different. Especially when it’s a fan favorite villain who they want to make one of the good guys. It’s lazy. 

Though personally, I hope it was just a bad reading from me and that he hasn’t changed at all. I prefer ruthless Boba. After talking with Colonel, I went back and watched all his scenes yesterday and the dude really was badass (besides his final moments ¬¬). We’ve already got one neutral/good Mandalorian bounty hunter in this show. We don’t need a second.

I mean he was willing to kill the Child  (twice) and went ham on those stormtroopers like a horror villain. And then killed retreating enemies like a war criminal. I feel the reason he negotiated with Din was because he knew killing him would be more trouble then it's worth and he had no quarrel. 

It's what happens when criminals are put in jail, alot of times they think about what they did, and with time to reflect, they became changed people. Boba is still clearly a mass-murdering bounty hunter; but in his old age, and perhaps with reflection, he just has the honor he had when he was a kid. 

I remember in the OLD EU Boba doing shit like protecting Leia when she was in the palace as a slave (Jabba gave her to him torape her for a night. and her let her sleep on his bed while he watched the door), or go out of his way to make sure civillians weren't hurt when he went to toe. 

I guess I just like the honorable Boba more, cause I grew up reading old Star Wars EU stuff. 

10 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Hide contents

I mean he was willing to kill the Child  (twice) and went ham on those stormtroopers like a horror villain. And then killed retreating enemies like a war criminal. I feel the reason he negotiated with Din was because he knew killing him would be more trouble then it's worth and he had no quarrel. 

Putting a sniper on the child was a really good start. But imo that’s where it ended. Not to mention he only used it as a negotiation tool so Mando wouldn’t kill him. It would’ve been pretty dumb to actually kill such a valuable bounty target. He was badass, but I didn’t really feel like he was the best and most ruthless bounty hunter in the galaxy. Mando had both of them dead to rights and if he wasn’t holding the idiot ball in this episode, they’d both be dead.

Killing stormtroopers doesn’t really say much. The way SW treats stormtroopers they might as well be droids. Literally nobody is shown to care about their lives, from Luke to Palpatine to even the troopers themselves.

20 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

It's what happens when criminals are put in jail, alot of times they think about what they did, and with time to reflect, they became changed people. Boba is still clearly a mass-murdering bounty hunter; but in his old age, and perhaps with reflection, he just has the honor he had when he was a kid. 

Like I said, I’ll be fine if that’s what happened as long as it’s explained. Otherwise they might as well have used a different character. Though personally, I don’t imagine getting digested in a sand creature’s stomach as an environment that would foster positive self-reflection. 

But even if it’s done really well, I prefer how he was in Empire Strikes Back on a subjective level. 

21 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

I remember in the OLD EU Boba doing shit like protecting Leia when she was in the palace as a slave (Jabba gave her to him torape her for a night. and her let her sleep on his bed while he watched the door), or go out of his way to make sure civillians weren't hurt when he went to toe. 

I guess I just like the honorable Boba more, cause I grew up reading old Star Wars EU stuff. 

That’s fair, though personally I don’t much care about anything that’s not movie or show. And Boba going out of his way to defend prisoners feels inconsistent with the cold-blooded "don’t torture him too hard, you might ruin my bounty" gunslinger from the movie. You don’t get hired by people like Vader or Jabba the Hutt if you’ve got a big heart.

Besides, we’ve got Mando for that. We don’t need a character who is almost identical except with green armor. 

@The Good Doctor A Song of Ice and Fire got a tabletop wargame adaption this year XD The models are actually pretty amazing; I like some of the designs more then the show

As a House Baratheon fanboy; this shit is good. There army special rule is that armor that's classified as heavy for other faction automatically becomes medium for them XD You can also pick between Stannis fanatics or Renly's boys. My hobby store has alot of them in stock, might invest in some. It's getting really popular. 

main.png

small-hero.jpg

CMoN-Champions-of-the-Stag-4.jpg

21 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

I like some of the designs more then the show

Oddly enough, this is also something I talked with Colonel about pretty recently. XD The show had a decent wardrobe department but it was still really bland compared to the way they were described in the books. Especially in the later seasons when everyone just wore black or brown with fur. I love those Baratheon models. 

1 minute ago, The Good Doctor said:

Oddly enough, this is also something I talked with Colonel about pretty recently. XD The show had a decent wardrobe department but it was still really bland compared to the way they were described in the books. Especially in the later seasons when everyone just wore black or brown with fur. I love those Baratheon models. 

I hate how most of the helmets weren't full faced XD Which the tabletop fixed. 

I think some of the costume designers tried to defend it by saying they were going for a more realistic approach...but alot of the armor sets weren't realistic at all XD 

House Greyjoy to me is the greatest upgrade. (There coming out this year.) 

0foGmtM.png

So I've only just finished episode 4 and haven't read any spoilers for the past six pages so I'm hugely behind. Sorry if yall already talked about it XD

I couldn't quite tell but I'm hugely exited if those were dark troopers at the end there, albeit chronologically that's an old imperial project by that time.

2 hours ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

So I've only just finished episode 4 and haven't read any spoilers for the past six pages so I'm hugely behind. Sorry if yall already talked about it XD

Reveal hidden contents

I couldn't quite tell but I'm hugely exited if those were dark troopers at the end there, albeit chronologically that's an old imperial project by that time.

We’ve talked about it a lot. Definitely wouldn’t open those spoilers. XD 

Okay so I'm finally caught up on both the show and discussion.

Unfortunately for you Balrog, I'm more on Colonel and Doc's side with Boba.

Sure I absolutely loved his return and some parts of the combat, I'll get to my misgivings later, but the thing is I was never really a fan of Boba Fett in the OG movies. He looked aight with the armor but even young dumb me barely considered him a character with how he '''died''' like an absolute bitch with like five lines of dialogue.

One tiny thing I'll praise is how old Boba kinda sounds like OG Jason Wingreen, old ruthless Boba Fett is fucking perfect with that gritty rough voice. When I got older I rolled my eyes at the poor deliveries Teemu made in the OG edits. I finally get the best of both worlds, much as Centurion would disagree with me XD

Couldn't quite tell if the Dark Troopers were cyborgs or droids, either works but I think cyborgs were what they were building towards.

Oh boy, one thing I can never get over is how the new stuff depicts the Empire is in it's military. Competent villains make things tense, make things important. Hey Billy, remember when a risky tactic Tarkin did to let the rebels escape by ordering inaccurate fire from his elite corp called Stormtroopers? Well that payoff is now everyone depicts the Imperial military as buffoons.

Buffoons who won't and cannot open fire on fucking unarmored people standing in the open, content to rush one at a time into melee. Or how about what used to be Tie-Fighters that could and did competently fight the rebel x-wings, now three of them cannot hit a moderately large ground vehicle. I won't even get into those scout troopers crashing into each other that episode. It's boring as shit when the enemy your protagonists face are unable to bare any harm or intimidation at all. If the Imperial army was the ones having a slight amount of disorderly or subpar prowess I'd be cool with it, they're not part of the fanatical cadre of what used to be highly professional soldiers, reduced to cannon fodder.

22 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

It's boring as shit when the enemy your protagonists face are unable to bare any harm or intimidation at all.

I agree with this. That’s why I liked some of the points in season 1 that genuinely made the Imperial forces and technology feel intimidating like it never has before. A single salvaged AT-ST in the hands of some marauders made them practically invincible on a more primitive planet. Those Dark Troopers in the finale had Mando and his friends completely pinned. And the client’s dusty old Stormtroopers from the first few episodes still felt like competent soldiers albeit in a ragtag situation.

It sucks seeing them I used as brainless cannon-fodder again. 

26 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

the thing is I was never really a fan of Boba Fett in the OG movies.

Me neither, but he still was badass despite his limited screen time. Watch his old scenes again and pay attention to how he interacts with Vader. He’s the only person we see other than Palpatine who shows no fear of him at all. In fact, he even gives him a little bit of lip at one point.