Roleplayer's Off Topic Thread #31

2020 Presidential Election: "It Could Be Worse" Edition  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Which ruthless conquerer would you vote to be your next president?

• Darth Sideous
    • Caesar (Fallout version)
    • King Radovid
    • Daenerys Targaryen (finale version)

I mean if you were born in the right place, the Empire had a decent living standard. Sidious, also had a pragmatic policy of "I don't want to rule over a mound of dead people" He's a monster, but he's a pragmatic monster who ruled intelligently. (He was even against the firing of the Death Star, but only because he thought it was pointlessly stupid) XD 

7 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

I mean if you were born in the right place, the Empire had a decent living standard. 

I think this applies to pretty much everyone on here. Except maybe Dany. 

There was a quote by the old Imperial guy in Mandalorian that I liked but can’t quite remember. It stated something to the effect that the Empire improved living standards by every unit of measurement. I’m sure he meant what he said, but like... I’m assuming he’s excluding Alderan from that statistic. XD And the Mandalorians, Wookies, all the pissed off peoples who became rebels, etc. 

It's always nice when your writing gets reinforced by the canon after you come up with it.

3 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

But if it was up to me i'd vote for Aku XD

I wanted to stick to characters most people know, but Aku is a good one. He’d be the absolute worst of them all, by far. But he’d also be the most fun to watch on tv. XD 

It's always nice when your writing gets reinforced by the canon after you come up with it.

1 minute ago, The Good Doctor said:

I wanted to stick to characters most people know, but Aku is a good one. He’d be the absolute worst of them all, by far. But he’d also be the most fun to watch on tv. XD 

That's why'd i'd vote for him XD

And if your a child your safe from him, because he'd prefer to indoctrinate you with lame propaganda XD 

Remember that they will become president of your country, not emperor, king, or whatever. Once in power they can attempt to implement whatever batshit laws they desire, but they’re still limited by your country’s political checks and balances plus the population’s tolerance for their antics. And of course, their own intelligence and charisma.

Palpatine is probably my last choice because keeping an evil force user in check would be the most difficult. I could see him using mind tricks or other sorts of manipulation to get away with things the others couldn’t.

Between the other three, I think I’ll rule out Dany. Say what you want about Caesar and Radovid, but even at their worst they never went that far. If anything, they’re at least too pragmatic to kill a million of their own people.

1 minute ago, Witchking of Angmar said:

If it's for my country (although we don't have a president, only prime minister) I'd like to change my vote to Caesar. This country could use some discipline.

I didn’t want to get too wordy but yeah, I didn’t say US because I meant for it to be each person’s country. 

I’m pretty sure votes can be changed because I’ve seen Colonel do it. But I have no idea how. 

I wanted to go with Caesar as I think he's the most level-headed, but I also feel like he'd be pushing for constant wars and forced conscription for no other reason than to toughen up the population. XD Plus, Radovid has the funniest memes. :MadRad:

I can see you thinking that for the USA. Our only real rival is Russia and Sweden is way too small to take them on. So Caesar would have to settle for dealing with domestic matters. Such as the rise of crime gangs.

I feel Radovid would mostly lash out in paranoia at whomever he considers a threat at the moment.

Power corrupts, absolute power... is a whole lot of fun!

49 minutes ago, Witchking of Angmar said:

I feel Radovid would mostly lash out in paranoia at whomever he considers a threat at the moment.

Probably. I could see him completely gutting bureaucratic agencies like the CIA or FBI as well as certain military generals and anyone else who he might suspect of having loyalties to previous administrations or factions. His cabinet would have to be totally new as well, or perhaps as a former king he’d opt to all but do away with a cabinet altogether in favor of consolidating his own power and responsibility.

As Prime Minister of Sweden, I could see Caesar compensating for the lack of military might by building up really effective spy and propaganda systems. I reckon he’d be against public healthcare and pharmaceuticals, but would make up for that by instituting some extreme physical health programs. Sweden would likely end up with one of the most naturally strong and healthy populations as a result. Though based on my headcanon of Scandinavians, that should be a pretty easy goal. XD 

5 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

As Prime Minister of Sweden, I could see Caesar compensating for the lack of military might by building up really effective spy and propaganda systems. I reckon he’d be against public healthcare and pharmaceuticals, but would make up for that by instituting some extreme physical health programs. Sweden would likely end up with one of the most naturally strong and healthy populations as a result. Though based on my headcanon of Scandinavians, that should be a pretty easy goal. XD 

Oddly enough publicly funded healthcare incentivizes the state to instituting regulations and programs for keeping people healthy. Because the state got to pay for when people's health fail.

Truth be told the only thing I like about Caesar is his talk about greater good where people look to improving the whole rather people only looking out for themselves. Plus he is strongly opposed to corruption. Which I tend to notice more and more in our world.

22 minutes ago, Witchking of Angmar said:

Oddly enough publicly funded healthcare incentivizes the state to instituting regulations and programs for keeping people healthy. Because the state got to pay for when people's health fail.

Truth be told the only thing I like about Caesar is his talk about greater good where people look to improving the whole rather people only looking out for themselves. Plus he is strongly opposed to corruption. Which I tend to notice more and more in our world.

I suspect Caesar would take it to a greater level though. I don’t think he’d lead Sweden into some kind of golden age of health and comfort, but I do think he would push for a population who are fit and strong and do not rely on modern tech. He’d probably hate digital media (except so far as he is able to control it XD) and encourage more "productive" uses of people’s time.

I like Caesar for his competence. I’m not in favor of what he uses it for, but I find it refreshing to have an RPG villain who is just a genuinely smart man instead of some kind of super powered advanced tech-wielding mutant wizard thing, or worse a "genius" whose smarts feel inauthentic because the writers aren’t good enough to do him justice.

1 minute ago, The Good Doctor said:

I suspect Caesar would take it to a greater level though. I don’t think he’d lead Sweden into some kind of golden age of health and comfort, but I do think he would push for a population who are fit and strong and do not rely on modern tech. He’d probably hate digital media (except so far as he is able to control it XD) and encourage more "productive" uses of people’s time.

I like Caesar for his competence. I’m not in favor of what he uses it for, but I find it refreshing to have an RPG villain who is just a genuinely smart man instead of some kind of super powered advanced tech-wielding mutant wizard thing, or worse a "genius" whose smarts feel inauthentic because the writers aren’t good enough to do him justice.

Also Caesar has a certain fondness of crucifying people. He'd only work as a person of transition. If anything I'd prefer to have some form of Augustus.

I feel it could have been interesting if we could have spoken with someone like Lee Oliver or a NCR senator to get a feel for the NCR. Could have made for an interesting juxtaposition to Caesar. We don't really get to see how rotten the top is in the NCR because we never really get to interact with it.