Roleplayer's Off Topic Thread #31

2020 Presidential Election: "It Could Be Worse" Edition  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Which ruthless conquerer would you vote to be your next president?

• Darth Sideous
    • Caesar (Fallout version)
    • King Radovid
    • Daenerys Targaryen (finale version)

3 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Did you know he wanted to play Gandalf in the LotR trilogy? XD I’m glad things played out the way they did as he was perfect for Saruman and Ian McKellen became iconic as Gandalf, but that would have been an interesting timeline. I feel like he’d have given the character a more aggressive edge. 

Of course XD I remember reading he was devastated when he was told he wasn't chosen as Gandalf, but he made an amazing Saruman. He was the only member of the entire LOTR cast who had met with J.R.R Tolkien in real life; he was a real fanboy.  Him playing a "good" Saruman was one of the highlights of the Hobbit trilogy for me. 

One thing I love about Christopher Lee was how he was unashamed of playing characters in pulpy B movie horror flicks XD Most actors of his caliber are elitists on there roles and whatnot, but Sir Christopher Lee was unashamed of it and was proud....except for The Howling II: My Sister is a Werewolf, in which he was ashamed of being involved in that movie 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

I also didn't give a shit about a Solo movie, cause Han Solo was my least favorite character in the OT. 

He was one of my favorites. I like him being a shady but competent smuggler who bonds with the good guys and eventually becomes a hero of the rebellion. That’s it. I find it hard to believe that he’s already been on any grand life-changing adventures by the time we meet him, and I’m worried that watching Solo will mess with my image of him.

Then again, the sequels already did that. He’s a straight up moron in Force Awakens.

1 minute ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

The latest Mando episode was much better, shits about to get real lol.

Hide contents

boba fetts paint job is nice, lol. 

I felt that was weird; he's about to undertake a deadly mission, and he spends his time repainting his armor 

:rofl:

I really like what they did to Mayfield however. He went from a cookie cutter character; to someone with real depth and personality. That part where he's getting increasingly disgusted with his former CO was some good acting. 

• Like 1

I like how it was a parody of how...some parts of the fandom really white-wash the Empire

When the Tie Fighters rescued Din and Mayfield with all that heroic music, and they were welcomed like heroes by Imperial soldiers who didn't seem like bad people. And then you get to Mayfield's CO and the mask falls off and you see them for what they truly are. 

• Like 1

I liked this one. :D Bill Burr was a hoot.

I thought it was funny when Boba said they would recognize his face. Considering how some of the older Imperials probably saw thousands of men with that exact same face, he’s probably right. XD 

I loved the part where the Imperials came out and wrecked those pirates. Apparently, the trick to being a competent soldier in Star Wars is to just be on the good guys’ team, even if you don’t know it. :P That was an epic scene, though. Never cheered so hard for the Empire.

Mando and Bill’s interactions and character development were strong in this one. Our boy benefits a lot from having a talkative and extroverted side kick to play off his bloodiness. And Bill’s acting from the moment he brought up Operation Cinder to the ending was on point. The flip from sarcastic loudmouth to quiet rage was very believable.

I’m generally against the helmet coming off. That said, I like the idea of it only happening when Mando feels he has no choice for the child’s sake. He may be rigid, but he’s willing to put Grogu first. Some good character growth there.

Though the circumstances he had to take it off for were kinda silly. Not sure why they couldn’t just wait for the officer to leave the room, or have Bill go back and get his own helmet, wear it to the terminal, and then only take it off when his back is turned. Plus, all the trouble they got into would’ve been avoided if Mando didn’t act so damn suspicious! That officer had every reason to be eyeing him like he did. XD I guess being a Mandalorian, his ability to blend in and act subtle is in the negative.

The hologram message for Moff Gideon was badass, but not very smart. Now he will be preparing for you, and he now is aware of how precious the child is to Mando. I’m sure he’ll use this against him.

Slave 1 dropping that badass bomb with the badass sound effect was a great nod to Attack of the Clones. Such a cool weapon.

All-in-all, probably my favorite of the season. Definitely one of them, at least. 

5 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I liked this one. :D Bill Burr was a hoot.

Hide contents

I thought it was funny when Boba said they would recognize his face. Considering how some of the older Imperials probably saw thousands of men with that exact same face, he’s probably right. XD 

I loved the part where the Imperials came out and wrecked those pirates. Apparently, the trick to being a competent soldier in Star Wars is to just be on the good guys’ team, even if you don’t know it. :P That was an epic scene, though. Never cheered so hard for the Empire.

Mando and Bill’s interactions and character development were strong in this one. Our boy benefits a lot from having a talkative and extroverted side kick to play off his bloodiness. And Bill’s acting from the moment he brought up Operation Cinder to the ending was on point. The flip from sarcastic loudmouth to quiet rage was very believable.

I’m generally against the helmet coming off. That said, I like the idea of it only happening when Mando feels he has no choice for the child’s sake. He may be rigid, but he’s willing to put Grogu first. Some good character growth there.

Though the circumstances he had to take it off for were kinda silly. Not sure why they couldn’t just wait for the officer to leave the room, or have Bill go back and get his own helmet, wear it to the terminal, and then only take it off when his back is turned. Plus, all the trouble they got into would’ve been avoided if Mando didn’t act so damn suspicious! That officer had every reason to be eyeing him like he did. XD I guess being a Mandalorian, his ability to blend in and act subtle is in the negative.

The hologram message for Moff Gideon was badass, but not very smart. Now he will be preparing for you, and he now is aware of how precious the child is to Mando. I’m sure he’ll use this against him.

Slave 1 dropping that badass bomb with the badass sound effect was a great nod to Attack of the Clones. Such a cool weapon.

All-in-all, probably my favorite of the season. Definitely one of them, at least. 

Operation Cinder was depicted in Battlefront II, so it was really cool continuity.

Got the impression Mayfield used to be very proud of his Imperial service, and it shattered him to the core. 

Even if it's leadership are fascist space nazis, it's not unreasonable to assume alot of the underlings/lower ranked officers were genuinely good people fighting for what they believed it, only to be betrayed and backstabbed by the Empire they were fighting for and revealed for the true monsters they are. 

59 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

I like how it was a parody of how...some parts of the fandom really white-wash the Empire

Hide contents

When the Tie Fighters rescued Din and Mayfield with all that heroic music, and they were welcomed like heroes by Imperial soldiers who didn't seem like bad people. And then you get to Mayfield's CO and the mask falls off and you see them for what they truly are. 

I don’t think that was a parody. I think it was being genuine about showing multiple sides of them. There was a lot of that in this episode, with Bill Burr emphasizing it the most. He both defended and condemned the Empire (and the Rebels, the New Republic, and the Mandalorians), and ultimately his anger was at the officer, not the entire thing. Much of his hatred was over the fact that his friends, Imperial soldiers, died by the thousands in the operation that the man spearheaded.

Between that and the humanizing of Stormtroopers in this episode, I think if anything, they were trying to get across how evil individuals with power are the real problem. 

Just now, BigBossBalrog said:

It was a little hamfisted though in that they gave him a Southern accent and made him to be like some kind of confederate war criminal XD The actor was super creepy and unnerving though. That smile. 

Which is funny because I got General Sherman vibes from him. Or even Baldur (strategically, not in personality). People who will scorch the Earth and destroy everything in order to defeat their enemies. 

3 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Which is funny because I got General Sherman vibes from him. Or even Baldur (strategically, not in personality). People who will scorch the Earth and destroy everything in order to defeat their enemies. 

General Sherman wouldn't have got surprised; he'd bite the bullet in the air and kill them with his bare hands XD

16 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I never played EA’s Battlefront 2 (I only played the real one XD) What was Operation Cinder like in it?

Battlefront 2 is a pretty great game after three years of updates, you might want to give it ago XD

It's hard to explain. 

So Sheev left an emergency plan just in case he died, and he gave it only to his trusted most loyal Officers. Basically; these most harderend fleets would go into systems and kill everything. No land grabs, just go in and butcher the population. And many of these planets that were chosen were Imperial controlled ones. Sheev wanted to "punish" the galaxy for "failing" him (one of the most spiteful and petty things he's done imo), but it also had a second purpose. It was too purge the elements of the Empire that weren't fanatical and loyal to him. So basically set fire to the galaxy, and set a fire that would act as a smokescreen while his most loyal and elite forces retreated into the Unknown Regions to build up there strength (and this faction would eventually become the First Order) All the while denying the new Republic Core Worlds in a scorched earth campaign. 

• Thanks 1