Roleplayer's Off Topic Thread #31

2020 Presidential Election: "It Could Be Worse" Edition  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Which ruthless conquerer would you vote to be your next president?

• Darth Sideous
    • Caesar (Fallout version)
    • King Radovid
    • Daenerys Targaryen (finale version)

28 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Again; it's all coming down to you fanboying over Mando and how it's an "insult" he has a single episode where he isn't at his peak because of circumstances. And your blaming the Clone Wars for it, despite the fact the episode had nothing to do with the Clone Wars. 

It’s not Clone Wars that’s the problem. If you replaced Boba Fett with some random space bounty hunter, that particular episode would still be loaded with issues. It’s probably the weakest in the show in terms of logic and consistency, but the dumb stuff going on is easy to overlook because Boba Fett is like a fan service shield for it to hide behind.

And before anyone says "I watch Star Wars for the lasers and explosions and cool people doing cool shit," that’s fine. But cool action and good writing aren’t mutually exclusive. Empire Strikes Back was a legitimately well-written movie on top of being exciting and that’s why it’s so many people’s favorite.

• Like 1

As for clone wars, I brought up Clone wars because of the previous two. Boba may not directly have anything to do with it just because he was included in the show when he was young but its a part of the same pattern. They introduced several characters now from clone wars, one of which we have not seen yet, but will soon, which is fine, and also introduced a character who while not just tied to clone wars, was still brought in as the third character introduced that was taking away limelight from the guy who the show is literally named after.

It's a pattern, started by clone wars characters. They didn't bring anything really to the show, even if I didn't hate them and still found a way to enjoy the earlier episode, but that changed when Boba came in, and now because its the third character brought in that kind of feels like they're sidelining Mando's story, especially with how Ahsoka's sending him to that planet led to the silly bullshit we just saw, it all just leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

If they left all of those characters out, I don't feel like the show would have suffered one bit. 

Thats why I brought up clone wars. You can't talk about Boba without bringing up the rest, not when these characters were all formally introduced back to back and are all a part of an annoying pattern this season of Mando's story not really being about Mando.

I said what I said to point out that yes, I have a bias, I can't stand clone wars. And yet, I wasn't nearly as annoyed with the introduction of these characters until they did what they did yet again, with Boba. It soured their introduction for me, and I don't understand why that's so fuckin hard for some knuckeheads to understand.

Don't like how I feel about it, too goddamn bad. 

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

29 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Again; it's all coming down to you fanboying over Mando and how it's an "insult" he has a single episode where he isn't at his peak because of circumstances.

It’s not fanboying to expect him to be consistent. All season we’ve watched Mando competently hold his own against all manner of Stormtroopers, thugs, and even a former Jedi. He’s established as intelligent, resourceful, and very skilled at what he does. That’s all we’re asking for.

There were no circumstances in this episode that justify him suddenly becoming an idiot who surrenders despite having the upper hand, takes off his jetpack and forgets about it, gets shot the fuck up because he forgot what cover is, and spends a third of the episode literally stunlocking himself against a Forcefield.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

It’s not fanboying to expect him to be consistent. All season we’ve watched Mando competently hold his own against all manner of Stormtroopers, thugs, and even a former Jedi. He’s established as intelligent, resourceful, and very skilled at what he does. That’s all we’re asking for.

There were no circumstances in this episode that justify him suddenly becoming an idiot who surrenders despite having the upper hand, takes off his jetpack and forgets about it, gets shot the fuck up because he forgot what cover is, and spends a third of the episode literally stunlocking himself against a Forcefield.

Howbout a sniper rifle trained in on his son's head? Or the fact the force field has knocked him around?

You guys can say what you want, but I get the impression ya'll are mad at them drawing so much from the EU;  and I got, you guys aren't the biggest fans of the EU. But my perspective is one who grew up reading, watching and interacting with the Star Wars EU alot. All the things you guys are mad about; Boba being far more skilled than a random Mandalorian merc, his honour code, established Clone Wars characters getting the limelight, that shit's my bread and butter.  People want different things out of Star Wars and that's fine. 

I thought the episode was a well-choreographed action one, with story beats I loved (Boba being introduced in the most badass way possible, Grogu using the darkside, the whole meditation sequence, the Razercrest being blasted). I'll agree to disagree on it. 

When have I ever shit talked anything star wars besides clone wars XD At best I said I didnt enjoy Rogue One as yall did, because for me it wasn't as "fun" of a movie, like a Hellsing vs Hellsing Ultimate sort of comparison. Still good, and I liked it but still.

I enjoyed the original animated clone wars, I enjoy the comics... what more do you want. 

Just now, BigBossBalrog said:

And I think it's ridiculous to complain about Clone Wars fan service when the showrunner was a voice actor on Clone Wars, and the lead Producer/writer of the show was the fucking project director. What did you expect? 

I expected Mandalorian to be about the Mandalorian. And, you can get clone wars fanservice without making the show's actual favorites, Mando and Grogu, look like fucking jackasses. Just to boost your worm bait bitch.

If they wanted to make him look badass, they'd have done so by making mando still be badass, and yet showing Boba still doing something Mando couldn't. I'd be okay with that, but making the comparison look like a lil bitch doesn't make you look good, it makes people roll their eyes.

You're measured by the strength of your enemies. 

I’m gonna have to take the hard middle ground here. I love clone wars and I hate the sequels so much so I don’t even consider them Star Wars. I love the introduction of Boba but also agree that the Jon snowing of Mando was a little bad. I liked the episode, but I still have my favorite S1E8. I’m hoping that bringing these characters in isn’t just fan service and is actually gonna build into a larger story. Like how cool would it be for Mando, Bo, and Boba to fucking reunite the clans, reclaim the dark saber and have either Bo Katan or Mando become the new Manda’lor in like 4 seasons time. I’d like a short scene between ahsoka and Luke, that’d be emotional and dope. But I also don’t want Mando to take the sideline for it. So yeah that’s my piece, like it or dislike it, idc. But this whole salt fight is annoying.

• Like 3

Fuck:dntknw:

5 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Howbout a sniper rifle trained in on his son's head? Or the fact the force field has knocked him around?

It was trained on his head, and then he countered with the whispering birds. At that point Boba was like "whoa okay, let’s all take a step back" cause he had the lower hand. Also, Mando could’ve mentioned the Force field.

Not sure what you mean about the fact the force field knocked him around. Are you suggesting that getting thrown made him stupid?

47 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

You guys can say what you want, but I get the impression ya'll are mad at them drawing so much from the EU;  and I got, you guys aren't the biggest fans of the EU.

You’re wrong. I don’t dislike the EU, and most of my points against the episode have nothing to do with it whatsoever.

3 minutes ago, Centurion said:

I’m gonna have to take the hard middle ground here. I love clone wars and I hate the sequels so much so I don’t even consider them Star Wars. I love the introduction of Boba but also agree that the Jon snowing of Mando was a little bad. I liked the episode, but I still have my favorite S1E8. I’m hoping that bringing these characters in isn’t just fan service and is actually gonna build into a larger story. Like how cool would it be for Mando, Bo, and Boba to fucking reunite the clans, reclaim the dark saber and have either Bo Katan or Mando become the new Manda’lor in like 4 seasons time. I’d like a short scene between ahsoka and Luke, that’d be emotional and dope. But I also don’t want Mando to take the sideline for it. So yeah that’s my piece, like it or dislike it, idc. But this whole salt fight is annoying.

I agree with this, no salt. Never was any salt coming from me tbh aside from as you said, Mando getting Jon Snow'd XD 

Man, that hurts lol, because its accurate.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Centurion said:

I’m hoping that bringing these characters in isn’t just fan service and is actually gonna build into a larger story. Like how cool would it be for Mando, Bo, and Boba to fucking reunite the clans, reclaim the dark saber and have either Bo Katan or Mando become the new Manda’lor in like 4 seasons time.

I actually like this and would be pretty happy if it goes in this direction. I never really minded the Mandalor stuff being involved with the show since if anything from the Clone Wars/EU stuff should be in the Mandalorian, it’s them.

6 minutes ago, Centurion said:

like a short scene between ahsoka and Luke, that’d be emotional and dope.

I agree with this, but feel like it deserves its own show and that Mando’s shouldn’t be a vehicle for it.

I’m not really salty. I still really like the show. Just had some issues with this episode. I still really like the show and have high hopes for it going forward. 

Meanwhile, my brother, who has never played a real rpg or had to make any life decisions ever was getting sweaty last night and stressed playing Cyberpunk XD

I'ma maybe play today but the fam might get me a new graphics card for christmas. If so, I'm waitin.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Meanwhile, my brother, who has never played a real rpg or had to make any life decisions ever was getting sweaty last night and stressed playing Cyberpunk XD

I'ma maybe play today but the fam might get me a new graphics card for christmas. If so, I'm waitin.

I'd wait. The game's in a very, very buggy state, and i'm hearing all these horror stories of 1060 TI Graphics cards not even booting the game XD It's really resource intensive.