Roleplayer's Off Topic Thread #31

2020 Presidential Election: "It Could Be Worse" Edition  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Which ruthless conquerer would you vote to be your next president?

• Darth Sideous
    • Caesar (Fallout version)
    • King Radovid
    • Daenerys Targaryen (finale version)

10 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

:rofl: Oh man. That's horrible. Dude are you cursed or something?

I’ve been without internet for almost ten minutes and I’m already in better shape, got a girlfriend, and started a successful business.  It’s awful. 

• Haha 3

It's always nice when your writing gets reinforced by the canon after you come up with it.

Caught up on Mandalorian. 

I’m so glad they established that the child was extensively trained in the Force. Now he can no longer be lumped in with Rey as someone who can just casually pull off incredibly impressive feats with no experience. He was trained just like Anakin and Luke and all the other good characters. MaRey Sue stands alone once more. :P 

Also, yeah Balrog I definitely see the Princess Mononoke inspiration. Though tbh that movie did it better. This episode was cool, but the town and whatever they were doing there were very underdeveloped.

Also, there is nooo way that some rich lady with a spear should’ve been able to hold her own and even partially disarm Asoka, someone who survived going toe-to-toe with both Maul and Darth Vader. Hell, even Mando held his own against her despite being ambushed, which means she’s either way weaker than she used to be or he is way stronger than I thought. Based on this episode, I’m actually not convinced that our boy couldn’t have straight up collected that bounty on her head. XD 

I also don’t understand Asoka’s plan for Mando. "I can’t train the child because he’s too attached to you. Take him to this temple that will hopefully attract a different Jedi who can train him instead."

But like, wouldn’t the attachment problem apply just as much to this hypothetical other Jedi as it does to Asoka? Also, isn’t pretty much every single Jedi dead at this point besides herself and Luke? Maybe a Force Ghost will appear. Idk

• Like 1

It's always nice when your writing gets reinforced by the canon after you come up with it.

20 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Caught up on Mandalorian. 

Hide contents

I’m so glad they established that the child was extensively trained in the Force. Now he can no longer be lumped in with Rey as someone who can just casually pull off incredibly impressive feats with no experience. He was trained just like Anakin and Luke and all the other good characters. MaRey Sue stands alone once more. :P 

Also, yeah Balrog I definitely see the Princess Mononoke inspiration. Though tbh that movie did it better. This episode was cool, but the town and whatever they were doing there were very underdeveloped.

Also, there is nooo way that some rich lady with a spear should’ve been able to hold her own and even partially disarm Asoka, someone who survived going toe-to-toe with both Maul and Darth Vader. Hell, even Mando held his own against her despite being ambushed, which means she’s either way weaker than she used to be or he is way stronger than I thought. Based on this episode, I’m actually not convinced that our boy couldn’t have straight up collected that bounty on her head. XD 

I also don’t understand Asoka’s plan for Mando. "I can’t train the child because he’s too attached to you. Take him to this temple that will hopefully attract a different Jedi who can train him instead."

But like, wouldn’t the attachment problem apply just as much to this hypothetical other Jedi as it does to Asoka? Also, isn’t pretty much every single Jedi dead at this point besides herself and Luke? Maybe a Force Ghost will appear. Idk

She was trying to take her alive. That's very hard to do if your fighting a highly trained opponent. If she went all out, she could have just forced lifted her and gutted her in a single. According to her actress, she wasn't fighting seriously. And we needed the kill bill fight scene, it would have been anti-climatic for her to just force choke her and win in a second. Remeber, this is Thrawn's underling , the dude who was able to deliver a beat down on a super powered kill death robot with his fists. He's one of the best martial artists in Star Wars, and if he trained her, it make sense for her to be so skilled. 

I also got the impression she was kinda trying to body her. Remeber how Maul let Pre Vizala put up a fight before destroying him? As soon as Ahsoka took up her reverse grip fighting stance, the fight was over in a second.

XD

I think she's having Anakin PTSD. She sense the extreme attachment little Gurdo has for Mando, and it's raising red flags.   The difference between her and another Jedi is she's unwilling to risk making another Anakin because Mando and Gurdo's relationship reminds her of Anakin and Padme. (Or more accurate Anakin and Shmi/his mother. 

Though I liked the clear Ghibli influence your right., In Princess Mononoke they developed Iron Town and the people inside to be misguided, but still ultimately good people. Lady Eboshi herself was a deeply flawed, but had so many redeemable traits that made the conflict between the Forest Spirits and humanity still gray despite the humans being in the wrong more. In this, the Eboshi stand in was a unredeemable monster, the town...had zero screen time. 

I loved Michael Biehn's character though 

:rofl: And I thought Not!Eboshi was still pretty cool despite being a monster. 

Now that you mention Rey...

*Ahsoka see's the spirit of Anakin with little Yoda. Scared of the potential devastation he'll wrought if he turns to the dark side. Still helps him find a potential master, and is very kind to him.*

*Luke see's the spirit of Anakin with Ben Solo/Kylo, Decides to try and fucking murder him* 

If only Filoni and Iron Man dude were in charge of the sequel trilogy....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigBossBalrog said:
  Hide contents

She was trying to take her alive. That's very hard to do if your fighting a highly trained opponent. If she went all out, she could have just forced lifted her and gutted her in a single. According to her actress, she wasn't fighting seriously. And we needed the kill bill fight scene, it would have been anti-climatic for her to just force choke her and win in a second. Remeber, this is Thrawn's underling , the dude who was able to deliver a beat down on a super powered kill death robot with his fists. He's one of the best martial artists in Star Wars, and if he trained her, it make sense for her to be so skilled. 

Ah, gotcha. I knew Thrawn was a master strategist and tactician, but I didn’t know he was supposed to be a badass fighter in his own right. I still don’t see why Ahsoka couldn’t just disarm her with the Force, but I guess that does help explain why the apprentice was able to keep from getting instantly wrecked in melee.

Still, I thought it was hilarious how the lieutenant guy was like "will my team win or yours?" Like, c’mon dude. :rofl: We all know the freaking Jedi trained by the Chosen One who has fought multiple Sith isn’t about to lose to some rando Space Capitalist with a spear. 

34 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:
  Hide contents

I think she's having Anakin PTSD. She sense the extreme attachment little Gurdo has for Mando, and it's raising red flags.   The difference between her and another Jedi is she's unwilling to risk making another Anakin because Mando and Gurdo's relationship reminds her of Anakin and Padme. (Or more accurate Anakin and Shmi/his mother. 

This part still makes no sense to me though. I feel like I missed a line in her dialogue or something, because there is no reason why Ahsoka would want to risk letting another Jedi create potential Vader 2.0 any more than she would want to risk doing it herself.

In fact, she may very well be the best person left alive for the job. Unless it’s a Force ghost, who is she expecting to come and help them? Fucking Ezra?

• Haha 1

Just now, The Good Doctor said:

Hide contents

This part still makes no sense to me though. I feel like I missed a line in her dialogue or something, because there is no reason why Ahsoka would want to risk letting another Jedi create potential Vader 2.0 any more than she would want to risk doing it herself.

In fact, she may very well be the best person left alive for the job. Unless it’s a Force ghost, who is she expecting to come and help them? Fucking Ezra?

I think she may be referring to Luke? 

She says she wants Grogu to choose himself. I think she's basically saying "I'm leaving it to the will of the force, and the will of yourself'. Which is pretty anti-old Jedi Order XD So she's refusing to do it cause she thinks the best bet is for his Force Abilities to fade away, but she's giving him the means and option, if he chooses, to still be trained by someone else.  

Lady Eboshi herself was a deeply flawed, but had so many redeemable traits that made the conflict between the Forest Spirits and humanity still gray despite the humans being in the wrong more.

Tbh, she was easily one of my favorite characters in the movie. She was at war with nature, but she was no more a villain than the spirits were. I’d hesitate to even call her an antagonist.

When I saw how clear the parallel was between that movie and this episode, I kinda got my hopes up a little too much for Space Capitalist Spear Lady. She and her people could’ve used another ten minutes of screen time to flesh them out.

Reveal hidden contents

I think she may be referring to Luke? 

She says she wants Grogu to choose himself. I think she's basically saying "I'm leaving it to the will of the force, and the will of yourself'. Which is pretty anti-old Jedi Order XD So she's refusing to do it cause she thinks the best bet is for his Force Abilities to fade away, but she's giving him the means and option, if he chooses, to still be trained by someone else.  

No freaking way she means Luke. I don’t think they would even tease at involving him with the show, not that they could. Besides, finding Luke should be easy. Even if he’s keeping things low-key, his twin sister is one of the most prominent public figures in the galaxy. No need to send Mando rooting around ancient temples.

So she's refusing to do it cause she thinks the best bet is for his Force Abilities to fade away, but she's giving him the means and option, if he chooses, to still be trained by someone else.

But why would someone else be better for the job than her? The issue was his attachment to Mando, which isn’t going to go away just because they find someone else.

Come to think of it, why does Mando care if the kid even gets trained? His mission is to deliver him to the Jedi, not to make sure he turns into one.

Now he’s found one of the last two or three Jedi in existence, and she’s willing to take the child (but advises against it for some gobbledegook reason). At this point, Mando should either dump the child on her OR abandon the mission and play daddy for the rest of his life. It’s unlikely he gets a better chance than this.

15 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Hide contents

Looking at the fight, I think it's clear she's holding back and in complete control. When she gets serious (her expression changes and she adopts her form, trademark reverse grip, she ends the fight in a few seconds. 

If she was in complete control, she wouldn’t have gotten disarmed. XD 

5 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Hide contents

If she was in complete control, she wouldn’t have gotten disarmed. XD 

Okay not complete control, but mostly. I'd be surprised too if the Space Capitalist I wanted to humiliate took out a fucking Beskar Spear, and started doing Kung Fu moves on me XD 

• Haha 1

What I also really like is how in human they made her out to be. She was like a fucking Wraith, cutting a whole company of soldiers down, while fading in and out of view.  And her garb was pretty unsettling compared to most Jedi.

The show does way better than even the original trilogy in showing how mystic and terrifying the Force is to regular people

• Like 1

Just now, The Good Doctor said:

I just learned that Space Capitalist Lady’s actress is the daughter of Bruce Lee’s training partner. Maybe she should be able to take Ahsoka. XD 

I found that out a little while ago , she's a real life martial artist, and she was one of his palm bearer's at his funeral. Called him her grand daddy.

• Sad 1