Roleplayer's Off Topic Thread #31

2020 Presidential Election: "It Could Be Worse" Edition  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Which ruthless conquerer would you vote to be your next president?

• Darth Sideous
    • Caesar (Fallout version)
    • King Radovid
    • Daenerys Targaryen (finale version)

45 minutes ago, Centurion said:

Finally home and finally watched the mandalorian episodes and yes, just so much yes with this show lmao

Took me a bit before I was able to watch it too. The first one was so badass.

I feel like fully kitted out season 2 jetpack Mando is way higher level than he was for most of season 1. It’s hard imagining the guy who got wrecked by Jawas and couldn’t handle an AT-ST being able to take down that sand dragon thing. He also obliterated all those gambling thugs like it was casual.

I also liked how he went no mercy on the cyclops dude. Watching Mando play daddy for the child and act like a generally nice guy, sometimes it’s easy to forget that he’s actually a hardcore bounty hunter who’s closer to neutral karma than good.

Other than that, the Tusken Raiders were my favorite thing going on. It’s so cool seeing another side of their culture where they’re not just murderous psychopaths. And even better getting to watch them work with the hero and be on the good team for once. I wonder how common it is for them to make peace with civilized settlements like they did here.

It's always nice when your writing gets reinforced by the canon after you come up with it.

9 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Why the hell is Megaton is a crater if the bomb didn’t explode?

Haven't played Fallout 3 so I had to look it up. And I guess the answer is because Bethesda doesn't coordinate all the stuff they put into the game. Or think things through all that much.

Power corrupts, absolute power... is a whole lot of fun!

33 minutes ago, Witchking of Angmar said:

Haven't played Fallout 3 so I had to look it up. And I guess the answer is because Bethesda doesn't coordinate all the stuff they put into the game. Or think things through all that much.

I reckon you’re right. XD Megaton is sort of the game’s central hub town, though it’s kind of a silly place even besides the crater-bomb issue. Building your town around a live nuke is not very healthy. Asking a random stranger who just walked in to tamper with it probably isn’t either. 

It's always nice when your writing gets reinforced by the canon after you come up with it.

19 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I reckon you’re right. XD Megaton is sort of the game’s central hub town, though it’s kind of a silly place even besides the crater-bomb issue. Building your town around a live nuke is not very healthy. Asking a random stranger who just walked in to tamper with it probably isn’t either. 

As someone that has looked into game design and occasionally watch videos on the subject for fun I've learnt that games are often a complex illusion meant to give the player a specific type of feeling. My guess is they wanted the player to feel a sense of awe and strangeness when entering Megaton; finding a town built into a nuclear crater novel. Asking for the player to tamper with things plays into the whole "you are special" feeling that many games try to sell.

Power corrupts, absolute power... is a whole lot of fun!

11 minutes ago, Witchking of Angmar said:

My guess is they wanted the player to feel a sense of awe and strangeness when entering Megaton; finding a town built into a nuclear crater novel. Asking for the player to tamper with things plays into the whole "you are special" feeling that many games try to sell.

Funny thing is, they did a really good job of this in most of their other games with a fair deal more logic. Even in Fallout 3 I think they pulled off that feeling of awe and strangeness in pretty sensible ways (check out Haven in The Pitt for a great example). Megaton is a cool town for sure, but it’s a bit of a logical mess.

The "you are special" thing is pretty part and parcel for most RPGs so I’m not too critical of that. But really everything to do with that damn bomb is kinda weird. Even the villains' motivation for wanting to detonate it boils down to "that city is an eyesore". 

37 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

The first time I tried to click the laugh emote on this I got an error message saying there was a problem trying to react to this content. Had to refresh.

Damnit big tech! You can’t keep getting away with it!

• Haha 1