Roleplayer's Off Topic Thread #12

Pick the Princes that you, a denizen of Tamriel, would most want to worship from each group  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Group 1

• Azura
    • Mehrunes Dagon
    • Vaermina
    • Nocturnal
    • Sheogorath
  2. 2. Group 2

• Hermaeus Mora
    • Malacath
    • Meridia
    • Namira
    • Sanguine
  3. 3. Round 3

• Peryite
    • Clavicus Vile
    • Boethiah
    • Hircine
    • Mephala
    • Molag Bal

We’ve only seen a teaser and one trailer. I don’t know how someone can make a judgment on how cyberpunky something is based on that. Also, he compared it to GTA, not Saints Row, right?

And no offense to Gibson, but I don’t think he did found the genre. Blade Runner and Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep both precede Neuromancer. If anything he’s like Lovecraft in that he solidified existing ideas into the genre we know today, but I don’t know that he should get credit for founding it.

Though the idea of founding a genre isn’t really useful in my mind since, like a new technology, there’s always a build of up proto machines or genres, and different people can see any one of them as the point where the machine becomes the first or the genre is founded. Like with computers, was ENIAC the first, or is it the British bombe, the Analytical machine or something else? Is Neuromancer the first cyberpunk, or is it Blade Runner, or something else?

Gibson’s certainly a major Cyberpunk figure but I don’t think he should be the arbiter of what is and isn’t Cyberpunk. At least, not based on one teaser and a trailer. 

1 hour ago, Celan said:

If the founder of the genre is unimpressed, not sure it will be that cyberpunky. The comparison to Saints' Row isn't a flattering one, for instance. 

I don’t honestly care what the founder thinks

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

The aesthetic doesn’t have to be the exact same across all works in the genre though. And the teaser definitely matches the more dark and gritty feel of typical Cyberpunk, but I don’t think the game has to be like that all the time. I think it can still be Cyberpunk even if the bright and colorful aesthetic is what we get most of even all the time. The cybernetic enhancements and the stratification and inequality of society, etc. are just as important to the genre as the aesthetic is. 

He has his opinion but I honestly don’t think it’s worth more than anyone else’s, given we’ve all seen the same two things and that’s by no means enough to make definitive judgments on it. Plus, I’ve got more faith in CDPR than any other developer, so I think they deserve the benefit of the doubt. I’m less worried about the game’s cyberpunkness than I am about their ability to capture America, though even that’s a minor worry

I didn't get dark and gritty at all.

I conclude, they're probably trying to market to the GTA crowd,  also by making it first person. 

Just need to accept that 99.9% of games aren't made for me.

All will be forgiven if there's a 'mute PC' button. 

As for my Saints Row comparison, it’s specifically to two. Two was a fantastic game.  Comparison was made because of the freedom that that game offered.  I personally be A-OK with a saints row RPG cyberpunk game if that’s what it was.

Besides, that has nothing to do with what Cyberpunk is

1 minute ago, Celan said:

I conclude, they're probably trying to market to the GTA crowd,  also by making it first person. 

Just need to accept that 99.9% of games aren't made for me.

All will be forgiven if there's a 'mute PC' button. 

Grandtheft auto is third person, and they didn’t have first person until the most recent addition. And, that’s only for people on the new gen, And was added later.And was added later.

1 minute ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Grandtheft auto is third person, and they didn’t have first person until the most recent addition. And, that’s only for people on the new gen, And was added later.And was added later.

Because it's an FPS.

Just now, Celan said:

Because it's an FPS.

No it’s not. 

Read what I said, first person was Added on, but it was third person. First person is optional, and every other Grandtheft auto game is always been third person.

3 minutes ago, Celan said:

You're the one who said it was 'very cyberpunk.'

And it is?

From what I understand of the genre and seeing the trailer, it looks extremely cyberpunk

And I am hardly the only one that thinks that. People are entitled to their own opinions, but just because one guy who had an influence on the genre doesn’t like the trailer, doesn’t mean it’s not “” very cyberpunk.

10 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

No it’s not. 

Read what I said, first person was Added on, but it was third person. First person is optional, and every other Grandtheft auto game is always been third person.

I'll put it another way : the people who play GTA are FPS players.

And... the GTA comparison is more evident than the cyberpunk designation. 

2 minutes ago, Celan said:

I'll put it another way : the people who play GTA are FPS players.

And... the GTA comparison is more evident than the cyberpunk designation. 

That’s incorrect too, the people who play GTA tend to be also people play shit like FIFA and Madden

Casuals come in all shapes and sizes. As do gamers, because I play FPS games too, and I play the same games you do as well.

So I don’t really appreciate What you are insinuating.

I don’t really understand what your definition of cyberpunk is, or why It’s suddenly not cyberpunk because it takes place in a city where a lot of crazy shit is happening. What should have been shown instead, for a cyber punk  Game that takes place in the city? One supposedly very poor and very violent?

Even if it was like a grand theft auto game, it’s not like that contradicts the term. If you were just say you don’t like that type of game and hope that it’s not like that, that would be one thing. But because to you, it looks like it might be a game type that you don’t enjoy, it’s suddenly not cyberpunk enough?

2 minutes ago, Celan said:

And... the GTA comparison is more evident than the cyberpunk designation

Only if you think the aesthetics are a more important part of the genre than the themes. Because the themes are a dead ringer for cyberpunk, even if the aesthetics aren’t the usual for the genre. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Good Doctor said:

I can understand someone not liking the bright, colorful aesthetic as much as the dark and gritty one. That’s just preference and I’m hoping we’ll get both. But I honestly don’t see what isn’t cyberpunky about what we’ve seen so far.

I prefer the dark rainy atmosphere of Blade Runner myself XD

hqdefault.jpg

But I honestly think the bright neon stuff shown is a refreshing change of place. Love how it's so colorful! Glad the real is brown thing is starting to die off.

Just now, Celan said:

I don't care if you don't care. They're trying to appeal to the GTA crowd, take that however you want to. 

Just being futuristic doesn't make it cyberpunk. 

It’s more than just futuristic, the aesthetic is exactly what cyberpunk is.

And just because your opinion is that it looks like Grandtheft auto, doesn’t make it so.  Judging that from one trailer is ridiculous, especially when the game is probably two years off still.  Especially when we had another trailer that doesn’t look anything like a Grandtheft auto game. We really have no idea what this game is going to be like. 

And no matter what your opinion is, saying they are appealing to the Grandtheft auto crowd still doesn’t take away from it being cyberpunk

@Celan The girl in your video said it herself, this is just an introduction. They’re not going to Show you everything the game is about in one trailer. A trailer that’s not even two minutes long.

You also thought that the game had a set protagonist because of the trailer, and that was wrong as well.