Roleplayer's Off Topic Thread #26

Dead Pool- Who do you think will not survive chapter 4?   

8 members have voted

1. 1. Snowback Edition

• Baldur Red-Snow
    • Rebec Red-Snow
    • Boldir Iron-Brow
    • Veleda Stormcloak
    • Menel Rivas
    • Archduid Theudofrid
    • Daric Red-Snow
    • Mila Iron-Brow
    • Ubbe the Savage

1 hour ago, BigBossBalrog said:

So breaking news XD https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2019/10/24/fallout-76s-premium-private-servers-are-not-private-its-scrap-box-is-deleting-scrap/#3e276e0b7386

The scrap box? It's been EATING hundreds of fucking items. Instead of storing them, it literally devours them. People have lost super rare loot they grinded for hundreds of hours for in a single second. They should have made this a mechanic in Dark Souls XD

The private server? IT'S NOT PRIVATE. Randos are still able to join you, and NPC's are being found dead by the players who own the server.

People payed 100 bucks for all this XD

Sounds like karma. Ironically.

1 hour ago, The Good Doctor said:

I think that some Zenimax/Bethesda higher ups must own some stock in Obsidian or something. All this controversy days before The Outer Worlds launches has been sending people their way in droves. Even Chris Avellone is making jokes about it.

Which I guess is par for the course with him. XD 

Reveal hidden contents

feistir5sgu31.png

Obsidian has their own brand of fuck-up going.

1 hour ago, Celan said:

Obsidian has their own brand of fuck-up going.

You may not like what happened, but right now their new game is getting glowing reviews and attracting lots of attention. For every person turned off by the Steam thing, two more are seeing that they can play it for like a dollar day 1 through Microsoft. Hate them all you like, but it doesn’t look like they’re fucking up to me.

Balrog’s right. It doesn’t even compare with the shit-filled hole Bethesda’s dug themselves into. They’re doing so badly that their own fan forums are full of people talking about buying another company’s game instead. 

You may not like what happened, but right now their new game is getting glowing reviews and attracting lots of attention. For every person turned off by the Steam thing, two more are seeing that they can play it for like a dollar day 1 through Microsoft. Hate them all you like, but it doesn’t look like they’re fucking up to me.

Balrog’s right. It doesn’t even compare with the shit-filled hole Bethesda’s dug themselves into. They’re doing so badly that their own fan forums are full of people talking about buying another company’s game instead. 

They got glowing reviews on PoE2 also, doesn't make it a good game.

I hope it's good for the people who play it, just won't be me, and it definitely was a fuck up, even if it's of a different kind.

2 hours ago, BigBossBalrog said:

A single exclusive deal doesn't compare to all the shit spewing out of Bethesda's orifice. 

To me it does. I doubt I'll be buying an Obsidian game again, certainly won't back them if they put their hands out for PoE3 or whatever.

11 minutes ago, Celan said:

They got glowing reviews on PoE2 also, doesn't make it a good game.

Was it not? I haven’t played it yet because I never ended up getting the gaming PC setup that I wanted, but I’d still like to some day.

I thought the only big issues people had with Deadfire were that it was really buggy at launch, and the naval stuff got a mixed reception. 

10 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Was it not? I haven’t played it yet because I never ended up getting the gaming PC setup that I wanted, but I’d still like to some day.

I thought the only big issues people had with Deadfire were that it was really buggy at launch, and the naval stuff got a mixed reception. 

Not for me, I didn't care for it. Only played it once and didn't play any of the DLC. I don't think the sales did too well.

I was never a big obsidian fan anyway lol, so even if I did consider this a travesty or betrayal, it didn’t hurt as much as Bethesda’s many many fuck ups since we’ve all been a fan of their games for years.

But even on their worst day they hadn’t come close to the mess in F4 or F76.

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

8 minutes ago, Celan said:

I don't think the sales did too well.

I think this was almost inevitable. Pillars 1 sold well because the old school crowd got crazy excited that a bunch of proven rpg makers were doing a modern isometric game. It was also right when videogame kickstarters were at their height.

By the time 2 came out, the hype had died down a lot and kickstarters weren’t as trendy. Obsidian never had a good marketing team, so without all that grassroots support the first game got, Deadfire didn’t stand a chance in sales.

@Celan

Just out of curiosity, what were your biggest problems with it compared to the first game?

I would call it lackluster. The companions were flat, mostly just faction mouthpieces, and the factions themselves were so extreme that the only one with any real life in it were the pirates. They were also absurdly the most ethical faction. If you did it independent, the equivalent of the Yes Man ending in FONV,

the entire peninsula gets ass fucked in the ending.

Mostly though, I didn't like the companions or the PC development, and for me that's the most important part of such a game. Also, the naval battles were un-fun.

Sadly Josh Sawyer has tweeted a few times about being in depression and feeling like he can't do anything, sometimes in German because he says it's easier if not everyone can read it or something. Not sure if it's related, but I would think so.

19 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

That doesn’t sound like the Yes Man ending to me XD only everyone else gets ass fucked, but New Vegas is up in the air as far as its fate goes 

I’d say with the inclusion of old world blues tho that it’s pretty hopeful.

I mean that you can choose to avoid all the factions and go your own way.