Roleplayer’s Off Ropic Thread #23

2 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Fuck you're giving me flashbacks to when that dickhead Lucien killed sir pupsalot :cry:

Yea I had to get with that nigga after that. Ya killed my wife and family? Ok, that bitch was a hoe anyway and them kids was ugly but you fuck with my dog?

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

3 hours ago, Witchking of Angmar said:

Recently watched the Chernobyl miniseries. It was quite good throughout its five episodes. Never thought radiation could be so scary. 

Yes it was excellent- I'm reading Voices of Chernobyl, the book on which a lot of it was based. It's more fucked up than they even showed in the miniseries, which was pretty accurate. I read that even those who grew up in the Soviet Union were surprised at the accuracy of the sets and stuff. They filmed it at Chernobyl's sister plant in Lithuania, so even the exteriors are realistic.

Some things from the book they didn't show

The firefighter who got irradiated- they tried to do a bone marrow transplant and his little sister was the best candidate. She had to lie in a bed next to him while they did the transplant. It didn't work, he died horribly as they show in the miniseries, and she lived but never recovered. They said she went from being a bright, pretty girl to a shell. His wife remarried but wouldn't let her new husband live at home with her. Still traumatized I guess. They had a son who survived, but is sickly too, they're in the hospital nearly every week for her and him.

The workers who cleared the roof were given lead vests but cheap, imitation rubber boots- and they were walking around in that graphite with the reactor core underneath them. Over 3000 of them cleared the roof. They had to sleep on the ground, using a pile of straw that was next to the reactor for bedding. They should have just shot them in the head after their shifts.

After the initial cleanup, they sent soldiers up to put up a Soviet flag, but in a month the flag was burned away from radiation. So they kept sending men up there to put up a new one. It was a death sentence for each crew.

People did return to the Exclusion Zone- older people and some people fleeing ethnic conflicts elsewhere who had nowhere else to go. The place was also looted and stuff sold off in used markets in Kiev and Minsk.

A woman who lived in Belarus says that her village was going to be evacuated but they didn't have the money. She got married that year, not realizing the danger. Her baby was born with no openings in its lower body, it was like a sack. The little girl had to have an anus and urethra re-created. She lives in a hospital with other Chernobyl children. Her parents have to squeeze her abdomen every half hour to allow her to urinate. She'll have to have more surgeries to create a vagina- but hard to see her living long enough to menstruate and she certainly won't have children. It's such a huge waste.

The reactor is still burning and there are a lot of cracks in the shield they put over it- so the disaster is likely not over. No one knows what will happen with it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Celan said:

Yes it was excellent- I'm reading Voices of Chernobyl, the book on which a lot of it was based. It's more fucked up than they even showed in the miniseries, which was pretty accurate. I read that even those who grew up in the Soviet Union were surprised at the accuracy of the sets and stuff. They filmed it at Chernobyl's sister plant in Lithuania, so even the exteriors are realistic.

I read that they even got details like cars having the correct type of Soviet plate numbers. But details aside it was quite surreal to watch how they go into such denial that there might even be a catastrophe. At least some people managed to step up. 

The most intense scene though is a tie between the three divers and the 90 seconds roof clearing. That Geiger counter sound was more effective than any violin. 

• Like 1

Power corrupts, absolute power... is a whole lot of fun!

3 minutes ago, Witchking of Angmar said:

I read that they even got details like cars having the correct type of Soviet plate numbers. But details aside it was quite surreal to watch how they go into such denial that there might even be a catastrophe. At least some people managed to step up. 

The most intense scene though is a tie between the three divers and the 90 seconds roof clearing. That Geiger counter sound was more effective than any violin. 

It's like a real life horror story.

A lot of people were just ignorant. They hadn't been taught anything about radiation and had been actively taught that nothing bad could happen from the power plant. That area was rural and older people just didn't understand what radiation even was. It wasn't like Hiroshima where there was visible devastation, it was mostly a silent death. Though they did say that people saw signs- fishermen who went to the river near the plant came back with bad sunburns, milk turned to powder and birds were blinded. But the book said when they were evacuating, people were joyful, like they were going camping. They had been told it would only be for a few days, a deliberate lie to keep people calm and prevent them from taking all their irradiated belongings and pets with them.

If you live near a nuclear power plant which many of us do, not a bad idea to keep some potassium iodide on hand, to keep your thyroid from becoming a mini nuclear reactor in the event of an accident. Or a dirty bomb. It may sound paranoid, but my buddy who works as a defense analyst- when I asked him what keeps him up at night- he answered "suitcase nuke." He's not a prepper or an alarmist so if he thinks it's a threat, it's a real threat.

https://www.nukepills.com/potassium-iodide/

12 minutes ago, Celan said:

Some things from the book they didn't show

Hide contents

The firefighter who got irradiated- they tried to do a bone marrow transplant and his little sister was the best candidate. She had to lie in a bed next to him while they did the transplant. It didn't work, he died horribly as they show in the miniseries, and she lived but never recovered. They said she went from being a bright, pretty girl to a shell. His wife remarried but wouldn't let her new husband live at home with her. Still traumatized I guess. They had a son who survived, but is sickly too, they're in the hospital nearly every week for her and him.

The workers who cleared the roof were given lead vests but cheap, imitation rubber boots- and they were walking around in that graphite with the reactor core underneath them. Over 3000 of them cleared the roof. They had to sleep on the ground, using a pile of straw that was next to the reactor for bedding. They should have just shot them in the head after their shifts.

After the initial cleanup, they sent soldiers up to put up a Soviet flag, but in a month the flag was burned away from radiation. So they kept sending men up there to put up a new one. It was a death sentence for each crew.

People did return to the Exclusion Zone- older people and some people fleeing ethnic conflicts elsewhere who had nowhere else to go. The place was also looted and stuff sold off in used markets in Kiev and Minsk.

A woman who lived in Belarus says that her village was going to be evacuated but they didn't have the money. She got married that year, not realizing the danger. Her baby was born with no openings in its lower body, it was like a sack. The little girl had to have an anus and urethra re-created. She lives in a hospital with other Chernobyl children. Her parents have to squeeze her abdomen every half hour to allow her to urinate. She'll have to have more surgeries to create a vagina- but hard to see her living long enough to menstruate and she certainly won't have children. It's such a huge waste.

The reactor is still burning and there are a lot of cracks in the shield they put over it- so the disaster is likely not over. No one knows what will happen with it.

Well that's Soviet Union. Manpower is cheap. 

Also about those cracks, are you talking about the old cover or the new one they put in place last year? 

5 minutes ago, Celan said:

It's like a real life horror story.

A lot of people were just ignorant. They hadn't been taught anything about radiation and had been actively taught that nothing bad could happen from the power plant. That area was rural and older people just didn't understand what radiation even was. It wasn't like Hiroshima where there was visible devastation, it was mostly a silent death. Though they did say that people saw signs- fishermen who went to the river near the plant came back with bad sunburns, milk turned to powder and birds were blinded. But the book said when they were evacuating, people were joyful, like they were going camping. They had been told it would only be for a few days, a deliberate lie to keep people calm and prevent them from taking all their irradiated belongings and pets with them.

I was more referring to the higher ups that practically knew but refused to acknowledge it. 

It is really like a horror story. Best way I can probably describe this is like a form of cosmic horror. Maybe not quite in the form of fear of the unknown but certainly in the form of a vast and uncaring force that you dread and can only hope to avoid. 

3 minutes ago, Witchking of Angmar said:

Well that's Soviet Union. Manpower is cheap. 

Also about those cracks, are you talking about the old cover or the new one they put in place last year? 

I was more referring to the higher ups that practically knew but refused to acknowledge it. 

It is really like a horror story. Best way I can probably describe this is like a form of cosmic horror. Maybe not quite in the form of fear of the unknown but certainly in the form of a vast and uncaring force that you dread and can only hope to avoid. 

Probably they were referring to the older one- I didn't know they put up a new one.

The book had an interview with a professor, he was talking about how radiation is like a god, it's invisible but more powerful than anyone you can pray to. It made me think of the Church of Atom in Fallout.

2 minutes ago, Celan said:

Probably they were referring to the older one- I didn't know they put up a new one.

The book had an interview with a professor, he was talking about how radiation is like a god, it's invisible but more powerful than anyone you can pray to. It made me think of the Church of Atom in Fallout.

They put up a new one last year. I remember reading about it in the news. I also happen to live on that side of my country facing the place. :| 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chernobyl_New_Safe_Confinement

I think it would make more sense if those cultists weren't so much a cult and instead people trying desperately to keep radiation from harming them. As it stands they are just a bunch of nutters actively seeking out dangerous levels of radiation. 

16 minutes ago, Witchking of Angmar said:

I think it would make more sense if those cultists weren't so much a cult and instead people trying desperately to keep radiation from harming them. As it stands they are just a bunch of nutters actively seeking out dangerous levels of radiation. 

This didn’t bother me in Fallout 3 because there were only like five of them and nutters are part and parcel for the wasteland. It was a lot more annoying in 4 when they became magical radiation-immune nutters. 

Dune series in development with Denis Villeneuve writing/ directing- this guy is my new best friend. Sadly it's only on Warner Brother's streaming service and I hate those piecemeal services, so I'll probably wait til they farm it out or it can be pirated. Sorry dude but just put it on Netflix or Amazon already.

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/dune-series-bene-gesserit-warnermedia-streaming-service-1203238799/#article-comments