Roleplayer's Off Topic Thread #38

7 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Warner Brothers is calling there new LOTR movies a "cinematic universe" so expect alot of non-canon bullshit XD

As much as I like the concept when it’s done well (which is almost never), I am getting really sick of this trend. I miss the days when it was cool to just make a good standalone movie and leave it at that.

7 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

As much as I like the concept when it’s done well (which is almost never), I am getting really sick of this trend. I miss the days when it was cool to just make a good standalone movie and leave it at that.

I say it peaked with universal's monster mash XD I guess the possible recurring revenue this thing can provide is too much of an opportunity to pass.

1 minute ago, The Good Doctor said:

You know a unique cinematic universe I could get behind? League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Basically the Victorian Avengers. Sadly, no more Sean Connery to lead it, but still, I’d way rather watch that than whatever cape-wearing fruitloop the MCU is carting out this week.

I hear the movie didn't hold a candle to the original comic (they changed alot). Wasn't horrible, but I pretty much forgot everything about it. I thought it was super weird they got the dude from the Portrait of Doiron Grey to be the main baddie XD

Just now, BigBossBalrog said:

I hear the movie didn't hold a candle to the original comic (they changed alot). Wasn't horrible, but I pretty much forgot everything about it. I thought it was super weird they got the dude from the Portrait of Doiron Grey to be the main baddie XD

The 2000s movie was pretty dumb, but the idea itself is awesome. I’d love to see more talented writers pick it up and do a better job with it. 

On 3/8/2023 at 6:00 PM, The Good Doctor said:

You know, I had a thought today. I think Chris Avellone is to Fallout what Michael Kirkbride is to TES.

Both are responsible for some of the most significant and impressive elements of their respective series lore, but they also both tend to go off the deep end with their wilder ideas and need to be kept in check by more grounded writers.

They both wrote a bunch of out-of-game lore that is treated as semi-canon by lots of fans but often gets contradicted by Bethesda. 

They both are somewhat controversial in real life and no longer work for the companies they developed the series with. 

Genius and madness are aligned.

Though I saw enough of Avellone's accusers to believe that they were Con lizards who just wanted their 15 minutes and he was big enough to give that to them. Companies being so scared of woke mobs as they are, he had to step back, but still has a lot of fan support, if you go by social media. I assume they smell the bullshit as much as I did.

I would be interested in any project Avellone does.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Celan said:

Genius and madness are aligned.

Though I saw enough of Avellone's accusers to believe that they were Con lizards who just wanted their 15 minutes and he was big enough to give that to them. Companies being so scared of woke mobs as they are, he had to step back, but still has a lot of fan support, if you go by social media. I assume they smell the bullshit as much as I did.

I would be interested in any project Avellone does.

I never bought the Avellone accusers either. Not a shred of evidence, and now Chris is filing lawsuits against them, which isn’t typically something a guilty man would do. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Celan said:

Did we ever discuss MBTI here? 

Colonel and I are both INTP. Or was it INTJ for you @ColonelKillaBee?

Below is a test if you've never taken one.

https://www.16personalities.com/free-personality-test

I took it about a year ago and got INFP-A. "Assertive Mediator". Just retook it today and got the same result. Guess I’m consistent. XD 

3 hours ago, The Good Doctor said:

I took it about a year ago and got INFP-A. "Assertive Mediator". Just retook it today and got the same result. Guess I’m consistent. XD 

Interesting. Fairly unusual, especially F for men. No surprise that a bunch of gamers in a writing RP are IN's, however.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Celan said:

Interesting. Fairly unusual, especially F for men. 

It was only by a slim margin so don’t go thinking that I’m too far off the reservation. :lol: 

But I do focus a lot of my energy on the people close to me. How they feel matters a lot to me, which is generally more common with women. So is high empathy.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

It was only by a slim margin so don’t go thinking that I’m too far off the reservation. :lol: 

But I do focus a lot of my energy on the people close to me. How they feel matters a lot to me, which is generally more common with women. So is high empathy.

I tested INFP when I was younger. I think women are socialized to be empathetic. It's only with some age and confidence that I embraced my don't-give-a-fuck. XD 

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Celan said:

I tested INFP when I was younger. I think women are socialized to be empathetic. It's only with some age and confidence that I embraced my don't-give-a-fuck. XD 

In my case, I wouldn't say that F is due to an absence of confidence, hence the -A. Social pressure isn't really a factor in the fucks I give. XD 

I'm sure not- but if it's not authentic, that is what I meant.

OTOH, obviously it's healthy to moderate weaknesses. My mom is ESFJ and I learned a lot from her about observing occasions etc. She's great at care packages.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Celan said:

OTOH, obviously it's healthy to moderate weaknesses. My mom is ESFJ and I learned a lot from her about observing occasions etc. She's great at care packages.

No doubt. I used to be in a relationship with an ENFJ and it did a lot to help my social skills as an introvert. 

6 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

No doubt. I used to be in a relationship with an ENFJ and it did a lot to help my social skills as an introvert. 

I remember the day it dawned on me how to make small talk, by listening to an ESFJ friend. "Ohhh, you just say what you're thinking."

• Haha 2