Roleplayer's Off Topic Thread #38

1 minute ago, BigBossBalrog said:

The flood gates have opened; Goosebumps is getting censored 

There are two episodes of the show that I still remember. The one where the dad is replaced by an evil fucking plant clone, and the one where lizards are turning people into lizards using cookies. :rofl:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

There are two episodes of the show that I still remember. The one where the dad is replaced by an evil fucking plant clone, and the one where lizards are turning people into lizards using cookies. :rofl:

The most vivid memory I have is from the intro of the TV show; to show a hellhound, they just got a golden retriever and edited yellow eyes onto him with a "bark bark" soundbyte; I miss the 90's XD

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, BigBossBalrog said:

I used to read every Goosebumps that came out. This one hits close to home.

Shit shouldn’t be legal. And of course the drones on Reddit are running cover for it, lying and saying R.L. Stine is involved.

What’s there to even censor in Goosebumps? It’s scary, but I can’t think of anything in it that would be "offensive" by their standards. Not that it would make this any better if there were.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BigBossBalrog said:

The most vivid memory I have is from the intro of the TV show; to show a hellhound, they just got a golden retriever and edited yellow eyes onto him with a "bark bark" soundbyte; I miss the 90's XD

Love that show. It was like an attempt to create the cheesy horror of the 50s and 70s, with the slightly less janky effects of a low-budget 90s studio. XD 

3 hours ago, The Good Doctor said:

I used to read every Goosebumps that came out. This one hits close to home.

Shit shouldn’t be legal. And of course the drones on Reddit are running cover for it, lying and saying R.L. Stine is involved.

What’s there to even censor in Goosebumps? It’s scary, but I can’t think of anything in it that would be "offensive" by their standards. Not that it would make this any better if there were.

This man, this was the first book series I ever read, first chapter books too. Wtf are they even editing and why. Agreed I can’t think of anything.

10 hours ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

the “Don’t go down in the basement” one, was the best lol, tv show wise. Book wise there was a lot, monster blood for instance and the one where these monsters were human but could turn inside out and eat people. So gross so cool.

I read that one while at an award ceremony where I got second place for my los muertos mask thing for the day of the dead

• Like 1

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

34 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

the “Don’t go down in the basement” one, was the best lol, tv show wise.

I can still hear that dude’s voice, exactly how he delivered the line. "Stay out of the basement!"

And then it cuts out because they were filmed for TV runtime with commercials. XD And then it cuts back in and he screams it again. "Stay out of the basement!"  

34 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Wtf are they even editing and why. Agreed I can’t think of anything.

If it’s anything like the edits they made to that Witch series, it could be virtually anything. Like a throwaway line about a protagonist’s stay-at-home mom who doesn’t even appear in the book being altered to make her a surgeon or something.

7 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

the “Don’t go down in the basement” one, was the best lol, tv show wise. Book wise there was a lot, monster blood for instance and the one where these monsters were human but could turn inside out and eat people. So gross so cool.

I really liked the first Haunted Mask one. Really creepy premise and the descriptions of how it felt to wear the mask and try to remove it were great.

Stay Out of the Basement was one of the scariest books as well as being one of the best episodes. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, BigBossBalrog said:

I swear they're doing this shit just to sell copies of the originals. 

Kickass Last of Us episode this week. Last week's was a dud.

Last week was Ellie backstory, which ended up being 3/4ths a teenage mall romp just so they could show a lesbian kiss. Then a very disappointing fight with a weak clicker that infects both Ellie and her squeeze Riley.

This week we see a religious cult, which yeah I was prepared to roll my eyes, and in the end you find out they also resorted to cannibalism (zombie apocalypse box checked) and the gospel-spouting leader turns out to be rapey. But somehow the execution was still good so I didn't eyeroll too much. Ellie is so badass, mixed with that little girl vulnerability that makes her a compelling character.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Celan said:

Hide contents

Last week was Ellie backstory, which ended up being 3/4ths a teenage mall romp just so they could show a lesbian kiss. Then a very disappointing fight with a weak clicker that infects both Ellie and her squeeze Riley.

This week we see a religious cult, which yeah I was prepared to roll my eyes, and in the end you find out they also resorted to cannibalism (zombie apocalypse box checked) and the gospel-spouting leader turns out to be rapey. But somehow the execution was still good so I didn't eyeroll too much. Ellie is so badass, mixed with that little girl vulnerability that makes her a compelling character.

They adapted Left Behind? It the Last of Us's DLC chapter. For what it's worth that kiss was in the original XD

3 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

They adapted Left Behind? It the Last of Us's DLC chapter. For what it's worth that kiss was in the original XD

To also be fair, that DLC was one of the weakest parts of the first game. XD 

Though I feel like it would make much more sense as DLC to be played afterwards than inserted right in the middle of the game. It would’ve drastically interrupted the flow of the story to go from Joel’s injury to Ellie’s mall fun and then back to the Winter stuff.

9 minutes ago, Celan said:

Reveal hidden contents

Apart from the cannibals being a religious cult, it sounds like they followed the original pretty closely. The "Winter" chapter is my favorite part of the game, personally. Ellie gets a ton of development there. 

12 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

To also be fair, that DLC was one of the weakest parts of the first game. XD 

Though I feel like it would make much more sense as DLC to be played afterwards than inserted right in the middle of the game. It would’ve drastically interrupted the flow of the story to go from Joel’s injury to Ellie’s mall fun and then back to the Winter stuff.

Yes, exactly. I kept waiting for something to happen and was folding laundry and doing other stuff while it was on, it was so slow.

The cult isn't really a cult, they're fairly normal religious types. They don't know that they're being fed human flesh. I'm a little skeptical they wouldn't know.

Also, I take it that this world has stimpaks. XD Ellie injects Joel with something and then a few scenes later he's grappling a full grown man and strangles him. After a gutshot where he was previously pretty much unconscious.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Celan said:

Yes, exactly. I kept waiting for something to happen and was folding laundry and doing other stuff while it was on, it was so slow.

In the game, that was mitigated a little by it periodically jumping back and forth between the present and the past. You’d get about 15-20 minutes of Ellie and Riley dicking around, then 15-20 of Ellie searching an abandoned mall for medical supplies to help Joel. It went back and forth a few times until both storylines ended. 

But even in that version, I got annoyed every time it went back to the mall because I just wanted to stick with the Ellie and Joel stuff.

22 minutes ago, Celan said:

The cult isn't really a cult, they're fairly normal religious types. They don't know that they're being fed human flesh. I'm a little skeptical they wouldn't know.

In the game, the leader was religious but not like a preacher sort or anything like that, and the rest were just normal survivors who had been forced to resort to cannibalism after an especially harsh winter. I don’t think it was kept secret from them in the game.

24 minutes ago, Celan said:

Also, I take it that this world has stimpaks. XD Ellie injects Joel with something and then a few scenes later he's grappling a full grown man and strangles him. After a gutshot where he was previously pretty much unconscious.

He spends weeks or a month or so recovering in the game. Though I think his survival of that whole ordeal is one of the least plausible things in the story, personally. His injury would’ve been very hard to survive, and Ellie is not exactly a doctor.