Roleplayer's Off Topic Thread #38

20 hours ago, BigBossBalrog said:

sl4zQi1.png

Meanwhile I spent 12 hours yesterday creating an entirely new load order on Skyrim yesterday where it’s 60% patches to make things place nice with each other like 3 different city overhauls, NordwarUA’s Sons of Skyrim-Realistic Armors-New Legion, Skyrim at War Reborn, Open Civil War, etc. really some of my best modding work yet. It’s immaculate

Fuck:dntknw:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/02/17/roald-dahl-books-rewritten-offensive-matilda-witches-twits/

This is going to set a super, super dangerous precedent. Legit dangerous. Honestly one of the fucking most stupid shit i've seen. 

FpOgwLFXsAArvk-?format=jpg&name=large

With how disgusting the Tolkien Estate has become, I'd imagine there going to try and censor LOTR too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigBossBalrog said:

This is going to set a super, super dangerous precedent. Legit dangerous. Honestly one of the fucking most stupid shit i've seen. 

It’s already been happening with films, shows, and games. The more digital things become, the less certain you can ever be that things will always remain as the creators intended. Why it’s a good idea to own DVD or Blueray copies of your favorite films, and untampered editions of your favorite books. Never know if they’ll be harder to find in the future.

Hell, you need a Laser Disc to watch the old Star Wars films without them being tampered with. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

It’s already been happening with films, shows, and games. The more digital things become, the less certain you can ever be that things will always remain as the creators intended. Why it’s a good idea to own DVD or Blueray copies of your favorite films, and untampered editions of your favorite books. Never know if they’ll be harder to find in the future.

Hell, you need a Laser Disc to watch the old Star Wars films without them being tampered with. 

The difference I see between some of the stuff is that this is more akin to a complete rewrite. Some of this stuff is so fucking bonkers 

FpPEpmoWYAEUp9k?format=jpg&name=large

But there still presenting it as the same thing; Dahl's vision. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Celan said:

As a long-time Dahl fan, I am so furious at these edits. They're utterly banal and silly. It makes me think that we're living in a Dahl book and his estate and editors don't know they're the villains.

When I was a kid, I used to love how gross and mean-spirited everything was in his stuff compared to everything else my school had, so it's stupid to get rid of one of the biggest appeals XD

Good TLoU episode

They find Joel's brother living in Jackson, Wyoming which looks like a charmed Christmas village. Angst with Tommy and Joel, whose wife is expecting a child, angst with Ellie and Joel because he wants Tommy to take her to the Firefly outpost at Eastern Colorado University. Joel is having some kind of episode where he clutches his chest and gets faint. Tommy comes to get Ellie the next morning but Joel is at the stables and he ends up taking Ellie to ECU. There they find an abandoned Firefly lab with pins on a map pointing to Salt Lake City. They're attacked by raiders and they fight them off but Joel gets stabbed, ends with him falling off their horse.

From previews, it looks like next week is Ellie back story at the FEDRA school with Riley.

23 hours ago, BigBossBalrog said:

When I was a kid, I used to love how gross and mean-spirited everything was in his stuff compared to everything else my school had, so it's stupid to get rid of one of the biggest appeals XD

Hell, none of the quotes you posted are even mean spirited. They just changed them because it wasn’t "empowering" enough.

16 hours ago, Celan said:

Good TLoU episode

Reveal hidden contents

They find Joel's brother living in Jackson, Wyoming which looks like a charmed Christmas village. Angst with Tommy and Joel, whose wife is expecting a child, angst with Ellie and Joel because he wants Tommy to take her to the Firefly outpost at Eastern Colorado University. Joel is having some kind of episode where he clutches his chest and gets faint. Tommy comes to get Ellie the next morning but Joel is at the stables and he ends up taking Ellie to ECU. There they find an abandoned Firefly lab with pins on a map pointing to Salt Lake City. They're attacked by raiders and they fight them off but Joel gets stabbed, ends with him falling off their horse.

From previews, it looks like next week is Ellie back story at the FEDRA school with Riley.

It seems like a consistent through-line with this show is that it’s good as its own thing, but that some weird decisions were made regarding what to keep and what to remove.

It sounds like they cut out one of the most poignant parts of the game, which is weird because it would have worked great in the show and it sounds like it was set up in the episode.

When Joel tries to ditch Ellie and leave her to Tommy, she gets very upset and runs away, causing Joel to chase after her and result in a very powerful scene. Only when they return does Joel decide to stick with her.