Roleplayer's Off Topic Thread #36

7 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

You mean Bethesda in general XD

Apparently the Civil War leaders in Skyrim need to get a new low ranked soldier who happens to be a player character to begin their military maneuvers. 

Ah the good ol' days when I argued with people who said Ulfric only pretended to be nice to you because you were dragonborn, and they denied to the heavens that you could join the stormcloaks before finding out you were ever even dragonborn. Something about lore inaccuracy and that you'd never ignore Whiterun before Windhelm.

The good old days

4 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Apparently the Civil War leaders in Skyrim need to get a new low ranked soldier who happens to be a player character to begin their military maneuvers. 

Remember the game opens very shortly after Torygg’s death. Ulfric did that and crushed the Reachmen at Markarth all by his lonesome. There are also a number of significant battles during the war that we don’t take part in, and his move against Whiterun is also done independently of our promise to help him.

So honestly, I wouldn’t put Ulfric in that category. His line to Galmar sums it up well: "Skyrim needs heroes, and all that’s left are us."

He is very much a character who drives things along regardless of our presence. In fact, besides Ashur and Maxson, I think he’s the most proactive "go-getter" NPC that Bethesda has ever written.

24 minutes ago, Celan said:

Maxson x Danse are the emotional high point of the game too, as far as I'm concerned.

I played that quest two days ago and I have to agree. I feel like even Bethesda knew what a poignant scene they’d constructed, because Maxson’s facial and body animations during that confrontation were unique and less robotic than most of Fallout 4. The overall presentation was of a higher caliber than they usually put out.

It even has *gasp* more than two options for how it can play out! And legitimately consequential options at that! 

Something about that quest made Bethesda remember not only how to write compelling content, but also that Fallout is supposed to be an RPG! 

29 minutes ago, Celan said:

then when you get the teleporter going they only transport two guys with hand crank muskets or sawed off shotgun for you to take over the Institute with. I almost noped out right there. Maxson with his minigun could mow down the entire patrol before Preston can say "A settlement needs your help."

In the Minutemen’s defense, it was five guys for me. XD And whenever one died, more would spawn in, so I think the idea was supposed to be that it was a proper assault. I went in with them + a Gatling-laser wielding Danse and it was a decent enough slaughter.

Nowhere near as epic as stomping in with the boys in steel, though. 

• Like 1

I guess. I still find the design of "everything revolves around the player" to still plaque the Stormcloaks like everything else. I thought the fact you weren't the hero of the game to one of the only refreshing aspects of Oblivion's MQ XD After Skyrim's way of doing it, when I was a lad, playing something like Dark Souls were I was a worthless shitstain who was just trudging through a world where all the events that happened in the MQ of an RPG already happened was quite refreshing 

CD Project and Obsidian kind of fall into the trappings of a world revolving around the player, but they usually make it like you just happen to be experiencing these events alongside the factions, rather then being the driving force behind everything. 

13 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

Ah the good ol' days when I argued with people who said Ulfric only pretended to be nice to you because you were dragonborn,

Which, by the way, would be a totally reasonable thing for him to do. XD Why should Ulfric care about us for anything more than our utility? He’s the one who put his neck on the line by rebelling, who raised an army to rival the Empire, and who rallied an entire cause around his name to make himself a king.

The Dragonborn is a wild card. Some random bonehead prisoner who got lucky and was born able to accidentally burp a "Fus", the same power that Ulfric spent many years studying and meditating on and understanding on an incredibly intimate level.

He worked his ass off for his power, and his beliefs and worldviews have been slowly shaped by every experience he’s had along the way. But now some random bumpkin has just been magically gifted with infinitely more power, but without any of the knowledge or experience that came with earning it. Ulfric, Tullius, and everyone else who matters would be wise to view the Dragonborn with caution, and to hope they just do their job, kill the dragons, maybe help with the war, and then disappear forever. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Which, by the way, would be a totally reasonable thing for him to do. XD Why should Ulfric care about us for anything more than our utility? He’s the one who put his neck on the line by rebelling, who raised an army to rival the Empire, and who rallied an entire cause around his name to make himself a king.

The Dragonborn is a wild card. Some random bonehead prisoner who got lucky and was born able to accidentally burp a "Fus", the same power that Ulfric spent many years studying and meditating on and understanding on an incredibly intimate level.

He worked his ass off for his power, and his beliefs and worldviews have been slowly shaped by every experience he’s had along the way. But now some random bumpkin has just been magically gifted with infinitely more power, but without any of the knowledge or experience that came with earning it. Ulfric, Tullius, and everyone else who matters would be wise to view the Dragonborn with caution, and to hope they just do their job, kill the dragons, maybe help with the war, and then disappear forever. 

Oh no it's with the argument that Ulfric is evil n' sheit and he doesn't at all care about Skyrim. You know, the usual Imperial fan perspective XD

That speech he gave when it was just him and Galmar, that the Dragonborn walks in on is used as evidence by imperial fans that he's trying to manipulate the player because he's dragonborn and wants you on his side.

2 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

I guess. I still find the design of "everything revolves around the player" to still plaque the Stormcloaks like everything else.

I mean, parts of the questline do, but I’m talking about characters overall. Most of Ulfric’s accomplishments are independent of us. We can speed up or prevent their victory, but Ulfric will kill Torygg, attack Whiterun, and capture most hold capitals regardless of us.

6 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

CD Project and Obsidian kind of fall into the trappings of a world revolving around the player, but they usually make it like you just happen to be experiencing these events alongside the factions, rather then being the driving force behind everything. 

I disagree on CDPR. A big part of The Witcher’s charm is that Geralt’s story can affect the world, but things will play out regardless of him. Nilfgaard’s advances on the North cannot be prevented, nor can Radovid’s "unification" of the remaining kingdoms to fight back. If you avoid the war entirely, it will play out to its conclusion without your help.

In most of New Vegas’s endings, it is true that the Courier is key to ensuring the fate of the Mojave. The only exception is the Legion, whose questline is basically just them sending you to tie up some loose ends (most of which they can and do send Frumentarii to take care of if you don’t help them), before they storm Hoover Dam and win the war.

But talking about characters, New Vegas is full of ones like Maxson who are super accomplished on their own, and haven’t really just been sitting around waiting for some hero to deliver them answers. House and Caesar have been super busy. Lanius, Graham, Benny, Ulysses, etc. All very accomplished and proactive. In fact, out of all the major players it is hard to think of any who aren’t. General Oliver, maybe, but that’s the point. "General Wait-and-See".

16 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

That speech he gave when it was just him and Galmar, that the Dragonborn walks in on is used as evidence by imperial fans that he's trying to manipulate the player because he's dragonborn and wants you on his side.

The "speech" where he leaves his throne room, completely ignoring the player, and spends half of it talking with Galmar in a side chamber? The one that he is halfway through before we even enter the palace? XD That was more like a heated conversation.

• Haha 1

Shit's not going too well for the family right now. Mom's been suffering pretty bad from Lupus of late and now she's in the second or third day of a 102.8 degree fever, feeling uncertain if she aught to go to the hospital. This being only a month after getting a bad infected tooth out.

Good times all around :(

• Sad 1

22 hours ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

Shit's not going too well for the family right now. Mom's been suffering pretty bad from Lupus of late and now she's in the second or third day of a 102.8 degree fever, feeling uncertain if she aught to go to the hospital. This being only a month after getting a bad infected tooth out.

Good times all around :(

Things are getting better. Her fever is down to 100 and counting 

• Like 1

Just now, The Good Doctor said:

That’s hilarious, actually. :rofl:  Especially Kotaku pretending that those two don’t look alike because thas racisss!

Poor Hideo, the dude probably left the cinema seeing the minion's movie only to see that in the news XD

5 minutes ago, Celan said:

It's got to be money laundering

Apparently streamers were spending tens of thousands of dollars to test the game's drop rates (Long story short, there's 13 different currencies, 9 of which are premium.) The game's end-game is defined by high level gems, which only drop when you pay a bunch of premium currencies to increase the drop rates of dungeons (In a fucking Diablo game which is the king of looter RPGs XD)  and people have spent tens of thousands of cash only to get nothing. So yeah I can see it making bank with whales. 

Mind you I think it's as "moral" as money laundering XD

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Apparently streamers were spending tens of thousands of dollars to test the game's drop rates (Long story short, there's 13 different currencies, 9 of which are premium.) The game's end-game is defined by high level gems, which only drop when you pay a bunch of premium currencies to increase the drop rates of dungeons (In a fucking Diablo game which is the king of looter RPGs XD)  and people have spent tens of thousands of cash only to get nothing. So yeah I can see it making bank with whales. 

Mind you I think it's as "moral" as money laundering XD

Could very well be that some of these whale types are part of the laundering scheme.

Would be more believable than tons of people paying 10K+ on a mobile game. XD 

1 minute ago, The Good Doctor said:

Could very well be that some of these whale types are part of the laundering scheme.

Would be more believable than tons of people paying 10K+ on a mobile game. XD 

According to Blizzard it has a userbase of 15 million so far. It could be a mix of people spending a couple of bucks, as well as whales throwing the big bucks down XD

What's scary for the industry is the game is getting a separate east asian release the month after next. There making bank from audience the game wasnt't meant for. They'll be drowning in ill-gotten money.

I got Criterion's special 4k Remaster of Night of the Living Dead, when I was browsing there catalogue, I wasn''t expecting to see it, but I guess it is one of the most influential movies of all time.

O4mn7lXmAaCzdLtUmSqBHAKHJBQW3P_large.jpg

I highly recommend it. The HD treatment it got is basically a new movie (Criterion goes frame by frame and digitally repairs image tearing and quality) and you get like four hours of special features. 

nightlivingdead05.jpg

Last time I saw it was on cable late on Halloween and I love it then, but I was expecting to have a "good, but not as good as I remembered" kind of thing, but nope, the movie is still phenomenal. The main cast and plot are simplistic, but very well told, the kind of documentary feel you get with the radio broadcasts and news reports from the government give it an eerie newsreel feel, and the zombies and horror are fantastically done (the infamous feeding scene still gets me. It's funny, even after watching and loving the early seasons of the Walking Dead, I think only the pilot episode really compared to it. 

It's also really weird too see how despite basically founding the zombie genre, the movie clashes with alot of later Zombie tropes. The undead are intelligent like pack animals,  they don't eat brains, the goverment does a very good job at containing them, and they aren't even called zombies XD

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

I got Criterion's special 4k Remaster of Night of the Living Dead, when I was browsing there catalogue, I wasn''t expecting to see it, but I guess it is one of the most influential movies of all time.

Might check it out in October or something. It’s been quite a few years since I last watched Night of the Living Dead. I remember liking it except for the ending. XD 

1 minute ago, The Good Doctor said:

Might check it out in October or something. It’s been quite a few years since I last watched Night of the Living Dead. I remember liking it except for the ending. XD 

The ending is still so brutal XD To be fair, it was an accident, but a gut punch nonetheless. And probably one of the first horror movies to have a downer. 

Not only does the black dude die last, he gets shot by people thinking he was a zombie! 

Not only does the black dude die last, he gets shot by people thinking he was a zombie! 

To be fair, everybody dies in that movie. But I was pissed when I watched it. Dude did everything right, he earned the win. Then some trigger happy randoms just waltz by and shoot him dead. XD Would’ve been happier if he had just stepped outside and roll credits. 

And probably one of the first horror movies to have a downer. 

I’m not too happy about that precedent being set. Because we eventually reached a point where horror movie makers seem to think downer endings are obligatory. Which sucks.

But I guess if this movie hadn’t, another would’ve.