Roleplayer's Off Topic Thread #36

On 6/30/2022 at 7:26 PM, The Good Doctor said:

It being hard isn’t what keeps me from finishing. I’m just slow as sin because I dont want to finish. XD 

I struggled from book 3 on, won't lie. I heard the rest through Quinn's YouTube channel. Someday I'll read the later books.

I'm back reading the Prince of Nothing series. Not sure why, since I hate almost every character. He writes good battles and the book I'm on now (White Luck Warrior) is basically the Mines of Moria with a badass, enigmatic elven wizard. Yeah, that's it- I'm still reading for the elf.

I read Hardwired, which was the novel that inspired Mike Pondsmith to make the Cyberpunk TTRPG (not Neuromancer, and man that author is salty about that fact). It was pretty good. I struggle to find novels I can get into. I've sampled and abandoned sooo many fantasy books. 

• Haha 1

Apparently the Fallout TV series has started filming in Montana and NYC. They've reportedly built the Vault sets in Brooklyn and are filming exterior shots out west, which suggests a western setting, I'd say.

Walter Goggins from Sons of Anarchy, Justifed etc.  is supposed to be playing a ghoul character.

20cbd080-90f8-11ec-bbfc-5e1a456c4752.cf.

They have also cast Kyle Maclachlan, who was Paul Atreides in the original Dune movie. He's grey haired now, makes me think he could be a Vault overseer type character.

4 minutes ago, Celan said:

Walter Goggins from Sons of Anarchy, Justifed etc.  is supposed to be playing a ghoul character.

Of all the cast members I’ve seen mentioned, he is the one I’m most excited for. I’ve never seen Walter not dominate a role. 

It’s too early for me to get my hopes up. Most TV is so bad these days that I just kinda default to expecting it to suck. But man, I will be tickled pink if Fallout turns out to be one of the few they get right. 

• Like 1

On a replay of Fallout 4 now after finishing 3 last week. Most of my opinions of it haven’t changed, but I do want to highlight again that, for all the issues I have with the game, I really do like how the Brotherhood are handled. All the other factions are meh to garbage, but Bethesda’s favoritism for the BoS really shines through in how much more quality and quantity their content is.

One thing I do think is a little jarring is the lack of returning BoS and Outcast characters from Fallout 3. Seems like a missed opportunity to me. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Good Doctor said:

On a replay of Fallout 4 now after finishing 3 last week. Most of my opinions of it haven’t changed, but I do want to highlight again that, for all the issues I have with the game, I really do like how the Brotherhood are handled. All the other factions are meh to garbage, but Bethesda’s favoritism for the BoS really shines through in how much more quality and quantity their content is.

One thing I do think is a little jarring is the lack of returning BoS and Outcast characters from Fallout 3. Seems like a missed opportunity to me. 

Elder Lyons on a flying wheelchair, he survived his death and is fucking pissed.

Just now, TheCzarsHussar said:

If that bitch survived on nothing but radiation,

Which wouldn’t make sense even if it did work that way. He’s inside a fridge in an area that probably hasn’t seen a trace of rads in over a century besides the odd storm. 

But I still reject the idea that ghouls can survive on nothing but rads to begin with. Besides just being stupid at face value, it is contradicted by Fallout 1 (ghouls at Necropolis die off if they lose their water chip), Fallout 3 (ghouls at Underworld buy water and have restaurants), New Vegas (the ghoul in RepCon survives off radroach meat and collecting condensation), and Fallout 4 (a BoS Initiate sneaks food to ferals every night to keep them from leaving their den to look for food). 

Plus we have ghouls who mutated as kids and still grew up to adulthood. One in Underworld says that she turned as a child. It doesn’t stunt aging.

Whole thing is dumb. XD 

18 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Which wouldn’t make sense even if it did work that way. He’s inside a fridge in an area that probably hasn’t seen a trace of rads in over a century besides the odd storm. 

But I still reject the idea that ghouls can survive on nothing but rads to begin with. Besides just being stupid at face value, it is contradicted by Fallout 1 (ghouls at Necropolis die off if they lose their water chip), Fallout 3 (ghouls at Underworld buy water and have restaurants), New Vegas (the ghoul in RepCon survives off radroach meat and collecting condensation), and Fallout 4 (a BoS Initiate sneaks food to ferals every night to keep them from leaving their den to look for food). 

Plus we have ghouls who mutated as kids and still grew up to adulthood. One in Underworld says that she turned as a child. It doesn’t stunt aging.

Whole thing is dumb. XD 

It's only slightly less lore breaking then the Heineken bottle easter egg in Dark Souls 2 XD

DS2_Heineken.png

16 hours ago, BigBossBalrog said:

It's only slightly less lore breaking then the Heineken bottle easter egg in Dark Souls 2 XD

That’s just an Easter egg so I’m gonna give Billy the win here. XD 

I was looking at the Creation Club stuff for Skyrim and Fallout 4 and it’s kinda hilarious how much more Skyrim got. I mean, it’s mostly crap, but at least it’s got some meat to it. Fallout’s is like 90% power armor and Pip-Boy reskins.

2 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

That’s just an Easter egg so I’m gonna give Billy the win here. XD 

I was looking at the Creation Club stuff for Skyrim and Fallout 4 and it’s kinda hilarious how much more Skyrim got. I mean, it’s mostly crap, but at least it’s got some meat to it. Fallout’s is like 90% power armor and Pip-Boy reskins.

Yeah; and it has shit like the rare curios, the survival mode, and the fishing mini-game XD Stuff that changes the gameplay pretty heavily. 

8 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

I love how much Avatar respected and elevated lightning bending. It should be the ultimate type of destruction magic, but is so often depicted as middling at best.

"1.04 PATCH SAVE US! 

3 hours ago, BigBossBalrog said:

If I remember, Skrim has some stuff that added new creature spawns to the game, which is another cool type of creation. 

It is in concept, but the execution was terrible.

The zombies spawn all over the damn place in groups of like 12 and are very tedious and bullet spongey to fight. They’d be great if they were just added here and there to necromancer dungeons and whatnot, but nope. 

The goblins are supposed to spawn in the world too but I don’t think I’ve seen them outside the quest cave more than once or twice. 

5 hours ago, The Good Doctor said:

It is in concept, but the execution was terrible.

The zombies spawn all over the damn place in groups of like 12 and are very tedious and bullet spongey to fight. They’d be great if they were just added here and there to necromancer dungeons and whatnot, but nope. 

The goblins are supposed to spawn in the world too but I don’t think I’ve seen them outside the quest cave more than once or twice. 

XD Once more modders fixed it pretty well.

8 hours ago, BigBossBalrog said:

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/59093

Of course Bethesda leaves it up to the modders to fix there payed mods XD

On 7/3/2022 at 9:21 PM, The Good Doctor said:

Whole thing is dumb. XD 

That quest line is the only one that feels like an actual quest line in the game. To read the reddit Fallout subforum, you'd think Elder Maxson is Hitler reborn, but I think he's a good mix of the traditional brotherhood and the hippie do gooder-ism of Lyons Pride.

I went to see Top Gun Maverick this weekend. Aka, 80s nostalgia plus "war against Russia without ever calling it Russia."

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Celan said:

That quest line is the only one that feels like an actual quest line in the game. To read the reddit Fallout subforum, you'd think Elder Maxson is Hitler reborn, but I think he's a good mix of the traditional brotherhood and the hippie do gooder-ism of Lyons Pride.

Maxson speaks plainly and has a blimp. By Reddit standards, that is Hitler reborn. 

To me, he just seems like Lyons but competent. He’s still doing the whole "save the people" thing, but instead of playing nice while accomplishing nothing, he is harsh and blunt while getting lots of shit done. Him and Ashur are some of the only Fallout characters Bethesda has written who actually achieve much of anything without a player character holding their hand the entire time. 

3 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Maxson speaks plainly and has a blimp. By Reddit standards, that is Hitler reborn. 

To me, he just seems like Lyons but competent. He’s still doing the whole "save the people" thing, but instead of playing nice while accomplishing nothing, he is harsh and blunt while getting lots of shit done. Him and Ashur are some of the only Fallout characters Bethesda has written who actually achieve much of anything without a player character holding their hand the entire time. 

Indeed. He's apparently a militant fascist or something. But so are all of us if you're right of Mao.

Maxson x Danse are the emotional high point of the game too, as far as I'm concerned. Much more so than the main quest.

I tried to do a Minutemen ending for science and it's just so laughably pathetic that they send you alone through a radiated sewer, then when you get the teleporter going they only transport two guys with hand crank muskets or sawed off shotgun for you to take over the Institute with. I almost noped out right there. Maxson with his minigun could mow down the entire patrol before Preston can say "A settlement needs your help."

Anyway... apparently Top Gun Maverick was supposed to be going up against Iran. The snowy terrain threw me.

20 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

You mean Bethesda in general XD

Apparently the Civil War leaders in Skyrim need to get a new low ranked soldier who happens to be a player character to begin their military maneuvers.