Roleplayer's Off Topic Thread #36

8 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Elijah. It's not even close the dude is a horror villain XD 

I feel like in most forums, this would be the hottest take. But you’re among friends here. XD Elijah is my favorite too. One of the most badass characters in New Vegas, and therefore all of Fallout. Although he’s easily the worst leader of the lot.

But if I had to choose which Elder is the best leader? Probably Roger or Arthur. Everyone else is culpable in driving the BoS to its grave.

Lyons is the only other who is willing to go against the Brotherhood's rigid, self-destructive orthodoxy, but he did so in such a way that split his faction in two. He’s also massively incompetent in his handling of the super mutant issue.

It's always nice when your writing gets reinforced by the canon after you come up with it.

15 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I feel like in most forums, this would be the hottest take. But you’re among friends here. XD Elijah is my favorite too. One of the most badass characters in New Vegas, and therefore all of Fallout. Although he’s easily the worst leader of the lot.

But if I had to choose which Elder is the best leader? Probably Roger or Arthur. Everyone else is culpable in driving the BoS to its grave.

Lyons is the only other who is willing to go against the Brotherhood's rigid, self-destructive orthodoxy, but he did so in such a way that split his faction in two. He’s also massively incompetent in his handling of the super mutant issue.

*Lets commit ourselves to this single position in a huge all or nothing during the middle of a decisive war, and result in one of our strongest chapters reduced to dust!*

To be fair, if I remember Elijah was basically a single step a way from accessing Heilos which could have saved the war, but it's clear alot of his other decisions were stupid and coming from the mind of a scholar not a leader XD But yeah he's a really cool villain,. 

In terms of best leaders, I think Arthur did alot to bring the Brotherhood back to a respectable force once again. And he's a good balance of pragmatism, but holding some of Lyons ideals.  But his expedition into the commonwealth could have destroyed everything what he was building, which is very reckless. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

To be fair, if I remember Elijah was basically a single step a way from accessing Heilos which could have saved the war,

He could’ve got it working, but without the missing rangefinder, it would’ve been very limited in its use. Upon discovering how it works, Veronica concludes that it wouldn’t have been enough to save them anyway.

Helios is more valuable for its ability to generate electricity for local settlements, which is useless to the Brotherhood in its current form.

43 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

But his expedition into the commonwealth could have destroyed everything what he was building, which is very reckless. 

That’s true, but they had good reason to fear the Institute. It’s the only known faction along the Eastern Seaboard that has the potential to destroy them. Better to nip it in the bud now than give them time to make the first move.

And they still have a force back in DC, so I reckon they’d survive as a faction even if the Boston campaign goes badly. Although considering how important Arthur was for keeping them together, maybe they would collapse anyway after such a big loss.

It's always nice when your writing gets reinforced by the canon after you come up with it.

I consider it one of his most horrible moments (And I think it's an argument why House could be bad news) but one of the main problems of the Brotherhood I have is summed up when House justifies blowing them by yelling there ridiculous and he's not wrong. It's hard to take them seriously like the other big players in the Wasteland when there gallivanting around as Knights XD

So i'd hope once Arthur gets an even bigger powerbase, they could tone it down a bit XD Which to be fair, I got the impression the East Coast BoS had gotten alot more militarized under him anyway. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigBossBalrog said:

but one of the main problems of the Brotherhood I have is summed up when House justifies blowing them by yelling there ridiculous and he's not wrong.

To be fair, House has more reasons than that. The Brotherhood’s belief system makes it impossible for them and House to coexist. It’s not a question of if they will make trouble for him. It’s basically a certainty that they will. When Yes Man runs House’s probability calculators, he concludes that the Brotherhood unchecked would become the biggest enemy to an independent Vegas.

1 hour ago, BigBossBalrog said:

So i'd hope once Arthur gets an even bigger powerbase, they could tone it down a bit 

I actually think it would be the opposite. Arthur goes against the Codex when it comes to recruitment and interacting with locals, but he has basically doubled down on the "knights of yore" stuff.

But unlike in the West where the BoS have been outgrown by many factions, Arthur’s chapter are still the biggest kids on their block. This makes it easier to take them seriously when they play as knights.

So i've found a new favorite horror author; his name is Sir Algernon Blackwood. I knew about him before, Lovecraft was a massive fan, and he can be argued as the real founder of weird fiction. Rather then cosmic horror, his focus is on the darkwoods. Stuff like evil spirits haunting the backwoods of Canada and America (His most famous story, "The Wendigo" is downright terrifying).  He did alot of countryside stories about british wraiths and ghosts too, so it's a little old school.  XD But his prose is very good, and the premises usually unique enough. Oh and he never says the N-Word in his stories XD

The dude is such a good horror writer, alot of his book collections just use his picture on the front cover and it's still pretty creepy XD

17675395.jpg

But yeah, my bookstore is stocking up on horror and dark gothic collections published by the British libary, and for once the horror section isn't the "Stephen King" shelf XD I got one of his collections and really liked it. 

• Like 1

I know the standard response would be for Elder Lyons, but I like the premise of a wandering Brotherhood officer becoming disillusioned at the pain and suffering of the Wastelanders during his trek, and deciding he can no longer be a techo-hoarder indifferent to the plight of others, and decides to do something about it by risking censure and upheaval to reform and to bring forth a new Brotherhood of Steel. The execution is mixed...but I still think he's a cool old dude. The whole conflict with the Exiles I also thought was very cool, even if it deserved way more attention. 

35 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

I don't really like Edgar XD But it's not for any reason, I just dislike him and his face XD

I like Edgar, but I get this. XD For my money, he is a worse Elder than McNamara, but I prefer him as a character.

30 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

I know the standard response would be for Elder Lyons, but I like the premise

Lyons probably is my choice, so fair enough. XD I actually quite like his story and pretty much everything you’re describing about him. The thing that turns me off is his  incompetence with the mutant threat. It’s hard for me to not think of him as an idiot when he explains how they’ve not been able to find the source of the super mutants after twenty years.

Dude, they drag hundreds of living people back to their home. You know this! Literally just follow them!

2 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I like Edgar, but I get this. XD For my money, he is a worse Elder than McNamara, but I prefer him as a character.

Lyons probably is my choice, so fair enough. XD I actually quite like his story and pretty much everything you’re describing about him. The thing that turns me off is his  incompetence with the mutant threat. It’s hard for me to not think of him as an idiot when he explains how they’ve not been able to find the source of the super mutants after twenty years.

Dude, they drag hundreds of living people back to their home. You know this! Literally just follow them!

Dude's stuck in a non-Morrowind Bethesda game, there's going to be military incompetence abound XD

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Dude's stuck in a non-Morrowind Bethesda game, there's going to be military incompetence abound XD

Yeah, disregarding that one thing he is actually be pretty high up there on my list of Bethesda Fallout characters.

But then along came Arthur who just completely overshadowed him. XD 

If we count Fallout 76’s depiction of Roger Maxson, he is kinda low for me as well. Mainly because for so many years I’ve had this really badass image of him in my head that his voice actor just didn’t live up to. 

The Paladin who died leading the Appalachian chapter was pretty cool, but she never became an Elder. 

I recently finished Point Lookout, by the way. The main quest is… eh, it does the job, I guess. Desmond Lockheart is the best part of it by far, and the "Great Game" is an interesting addition to the lore.

Luckily, the atmosphere and exploration carry that DLC pretty hard. 

1 hour ago, The Good Doctor said:

I recently finished Point Lookout, by the way. The main quest is… eh, it does the job, I guess. Desmond Lockheart is the best part of it by far, and the "Great Game" is an interesting addition to the lore.

Luckily, the atmosphere and exploration carry that DLC pretty hard. 

I think it has some of the best period in Fallout XD One of the few maps that felt very rewarding to 100 percent. 

It's a great DLC to be sure, can't go wrong with a swamp setting. It oozes Southern Gothic atmosphere. 

Oh and I think the swamp folks have a ton of character XD Them and the Troggs from the Pitt are great enemies. 

REmPo11NB438mV8Bd1B3UnohvZBiAE2bNoL3Q1eU

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Oh and I think the swamp folks have a ton of character XD Them and the Troggs from the Pitt are great enemies. 

I really like the swampfolk’s personality and design, but I wish they had more story behind them like the trogs do. Maybe even one or two friendly ones for us to talk to.

Be nice if they weren’t so bullet spongey as well. 

2 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I really like the swampfolk’s personality and design, but I wish they had more story behind them like the trogs do. Maybe even one or two friendly ones for us to talk to.

Be nice if they weren’t so bullet spongey as well. 

I think they just assume the Hills have Eyes is canon to Fallout XD