Roleplayer's Off Topic Thread #36

@BigBossBalrog

Found this totally by accident while just looking up Babadook images (as one does). I don’t know what compelled me to read it, but I’m glad I did. XD It’s not a satire website, but my gosh does it feel like one! 

Some of the best quotes:

"This is the first truly gay thing about the film: that grey-blue wall color is just too tasteful for a straight monster."

"in flashes it is a mash-up of Edward Scissorhands, Freddy Kruger, with dashes of a dark angel, unkillable spider, bird of prey, and The Cat in The Hat. You don’t get queerer than that."

"As some internet wags have posited the ‘B’ in LGBTQ could stand for Babadook, and that is entirely reasonable. The monster is polymorphously perverse. The Babadook wants to screw with Amelia, not screw her."

"We begin with deathly, heavy knocking on doors (this isn’t the Babadook attempting to leave the closet, sorry, but archly reminding the heterosexuals they are on its territory"

"But really, it was a tired queer monster"

"Maybe the big queer Babadook is paying back all the times it has felt invaded upon, abused, and marginalized."

"Amelia vomits, like everywhere, near the end, because what else can a heterosexual do faced with all that gay anger?"

"So, it turns out the Babadook is a perfect queer icon for Pride month."

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

@BigBossBalrog

Found this totally by accident while just looking up Babadook images (as one does). I don’t know what compelled me to read it, but I’m glad I did. XD It’s not a satire website, but my gosh does it feel like one! 

Some of the best quotes:

Hide contents

"This is the first truly gay thing about the film: that grey-blue wall color is just too tasteful for a straight monster."

"in flashes it is a mash-up of Edward Scissorhands, Freddy Kruger, with dashes of a dark angel, unkillable spider, bird of prey, and The Cat in The Hat. You don’t get queerer than that."

"As some internet wags have posited the ‘B’ in LGBTQ could stand for Babadook, and that is entirely reasonable. The monster is polymorphously perverse. The Babadook wants to screw with Amelia, not screw her."

"We begin with deathly, heavy knocking on doors (this isn’t the Babadook attempting to leave the closet, sorry, but archly reminding the heterosexuals they are on its territory"

"But really, it was a tired queer monster"

"Maybe the big queer Babadook is paying back all the times it has felt invaded upon, abused, and marginalized."

"Amelia vomits, like everywhere, near the end, because what else can a heterosexual do faced with all that gay anger?"

"So, it turns out the Babadook is a perfect queer icon for Pride month."

Wow wow wow :rofl:

I know alot of the foundations for horror (Like Dracula, Camilla) could very easily be see as gay panic and dripping with rea; homoerotism, but the Babatook, if were taking it as a metaphor, seemed nothing more (albeit a very well done example) then a discussion on mental illness as well as motherhood. And what the hell does the Cat in the Hat have to do with this XD

I finished Carmilla XD I read it a very long time ago, but I pretty much forgot most of the details, but I really liked it. It's crazy to think it came out twenty years before Dracula. I think Dracula is better, but Carmilla is alot easier of a read cause its pretty shorty (only about a hundred and fifty pages) and I guess you can consider it a "prototype" to the Vampire Genre. It's funny cause it had two elements me and Doc talked about; I think the Oblivion Vampire nightmares were inspired by it, cause when the protagonist Laura is being slowly fed upon, she had this creepy surreal nightmares that are very descriptive. Oh and it was actually dripping in homoerotism without naming the big G word...but its all from the lense a Victorian era writer, so it's kinda funny XD

Covert art for my copy was cool too.

3 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Glad, because I hated season 2

All I remember from that is there was a god demogorgon and a fat dude dies in a lab.

8 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

didn’t even finish 3.

Oh that's easy, the Upside Down is revealed to be Hitler's ghost and the townsfolk team up with the Soviets, French, Bri'ish and a Japanese man to defeat it.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

and a fat dude dies in a lab.

You better not be throwing shade at my boy Samwise the Brave! He was the best thing about that season.

3 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

Oh that's easy, the Upside Down is revealed to be Hitler's ghost and the townsfolk team up with the Soviets, French, Bri'ish and a Japanese man to defeat it.

How badly does it reflect on the state of media that I can’t tell how much of a joke this is?

You better not be throwing shade at my boy Samwise the Brave! He was the best thing about that season.

Holy shit that's right, same actor!

I completely forgot about that. Sadly even he couldn't make season 2 memorable enough for me to have recalled that :P

5 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

How badly does it reflect on the state of media that I can’t tell how much of a joke this is?

Luckily that's a complete joke on my end...but you never know about season 5...

24 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

Sadly even he couldn't make season 2 memorable enough for me to have recalled that :P

The most memorable thing for me was that terrible episode where El runs off to the city and has like an 80s punk-themed one-shot adventure with a bunch of other psychic kids. Then she returns home with her powers all leveled up.

It was bizarre.

1 minute ago, The Good Doctor said:

The most memorable thing for me was that terrible episode where El runs off to the city and has like an 80s punk-themed one-shot adventure with a bunch of other psychic kids. Then she returns home with her powers all leveled up.

It was bizarre.

Oh yeaaah that whole shebang, which by the way makes no fucking sense with things we learn later on.

1 minute ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

Oh yeaaah that whole shebang, which by the way makes no fucking sense with things we learn later on.

I’ve heard that season 4 feels like the writers realized they had no direction in 2 and 3, so they sat down and really worked on reigning the story back into something legible. And apparently it worked really well. First time I’ve been interested in the show in years.

• Like 1

I’ve heard that season 4 feels like the writers realized they had no direction in 2 and 3, so they sat down and really worked on reigning the story back into something legible. And apparently it worked really well. First time I’ve been interested in the show in years.

It's a very good season, last two episodes come out tomorrow as well.

Season 1 was amazing, 2 was just about completely forgettable, I remember a good deal about 3 and 4 has been a fucking wild ride.

Albeit there was some exposition that I couldn't help but role my eyes at

6 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

How’s the horror? There were a few scenes in season 1 that I thought delivered some genuinely good spooks without being cheap.

There's some terrifying deaths, like they really just make you wince but the horror isn't as pronounced and well done as season 1.

It's a lot more rule of cool action rather then horror, even in the Upside Down. Speaking of, I swear with the Upside Down a big portion of it got this red makeover. I tried searching for non spoilery images but I couldn't find any.

Also one of the only threats are these fucking goofy bats.

Edited by TheCzarsHussar
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, The Good Doctor said:

Shame. That’s really what I was hoping for the most. But still, it can still work well. Like Aliens. XD 

A lot of franchises that start off as horror seem to move away from, or cannot top the original in the horror department.

I'll still die on the hill of liking Alien more than Aliens XD

5 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

I'll still die on the hill of liking Alien more than Aliens

You definitely won’t be alone on that hill. Alien is adored.

I’m not sure which I prefer, but I really like both for their own reasons. Similar to Terminator, though you already know that T2 definitely wins out for me.

I guess this happens so much because writers always feel they need to increase the stakes with sequels. And that is apparently hard to do without the action aspects becoming more prominent.

17 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

A lot of franchises that start off as horror seem to move away from, or cannot top the original in the horror department.

I'll still die on the hill of liking Alien more than Aliens XD

That's because you have trash taste XD 

Alien and Aliens are equals in quality. They belong to two different sub-genres (Kind of like Resident Evil Classic vs Resident Evil 4) of horror, action horror and pure horror. You can argue about which genre you prefer, but I consider them both perfect movies. 

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Similar to Terminator, though you already know that T2 definitely wins out for me.

Terminator 2 also had an S+ tier cast. Dude who played the liquid metal Terminator pulled twice the weight of Arnie.

Fucker was an actual monster. Trained to not flinch or blink whenever he fired blanks, caused several reshoots because he kept catching up to the motorcycle on foot, and played off his character perfectly. Not to say Arnold didn't act well, he did a stellar fucking job.

• Like 1