Roleplayer's Off Topic Thread #36

19 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

To be fair, everybody dies in that movie. But I was pissed when I watched it. Dude did everything right, he earned the win. Then some trigger happy randoms just waltz by and shoot him dead. XD Would’ve been happier if he had just stepped outside and roll credits. 

I’m not too happy about that precedent being set. Because we eventually reached a point where horror movie makers seem to think downer endings are obligatory. Which sucks.

But I guess if this movie hadn’t, another would’ve. 

Most certainly XD The visceral nature of it was huge step forward for horror too. Egbert made an article writing how horror movies were just goofy creature features  or 
"Ghost movies" which were just people wearing sheets pretending to be ghosts, parents would bring there children too in Matinée's, and when they started showing Night at them, kids would run out of the theatre screaming and crying XD

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Good Doctor said:

Marvel’s have. I bet Cameron’s upcoming Avatar movie is going to set a new bar for CGI much like the last one did. 

There's exceptions.

1 hour ago, The Good Doctor said:

Oh, and we just got Dune and The Batman which both looked amazing. 

Especially these, but I don't think so much CGI has been good for the industry. XD

46 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Especially these, but I don't think so much CGI has been good for the industry. XD

I agree that the blockbusters have gotten over reliant on it. Like, Disney has gotten to where they CGI everything. If there is a scene in the woods, they’ll use a green screen and CGI instead of just filming in a forest. It’s cheaper and if something goes wrong, it’s easier to fix it later on. But good CGI takes time that they’re not willing to spend, so everything looks fake. 

Every so often, I just gotta return to this.

Not only do I love seeing the fight between the Nordiest Nord in ESO (fucker is probably an Atmoran immigrant that was too badass to freeze to death) slapping around the Breton dude.

But also because revisiting the comments and their infinite salt surrounding the Nord being the victor. So many mutt elf teaaaars.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

Every so often, I just gotta return to this.

It’s weird, as they went on, ESO’s trailers kept getting better in visual quality, but they significantly dialed down the violence from how it was at this point. These dudes get run the fuck through, spilling blood and all the rest.

By the time we see the Nord again, in Greymoor, all of the attacks look like they’re with blunted weapons. There’s no blood and they just kind of bash each other around until they fall. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

It’s weird, as they went on, ESO’s trailers kept getting better in visual quality, but they significantly dialed down the violence from how it was at this point. These dudes get run the fuck through, spilling blood and all the rest.

By the time we see the Nord again, in Greymoor, all of the attacks look like they’re with blunted weapons. There’s no blood and they just kind of bash each other around until they fall. 

Not to mention im Greymoor, all semblance of fighting styles are lost.

Even though it's not exactly fully historical at least they showed the Nord actually using his polearm both offensively and defensively very fluidly when he got serious.

And the Breton using an offhand dagger and longer blade (albeit a rapier or shortsword would have made me happier ;)) was a great touch, and actually used the dagger more for deflection and riposting.

Nord in Greymoor flails his axe around until he decides to go full zen.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

But yeah, that Nord is badass. Too bad the canon Vestige is actually an Altmer male named Naarifin. 

Is that actually canon, or RP canon?

I know in those old trailers they set the Nord up to be the Vestige, having his soul trapped and ending up in the same situation as the player at the start.

• Like 1

Just now, TheCzarsHussar said:

Is that actually canon, or RP canon?

Neither. It’s my headcanon, but I didn’t bring it into the RP.

Think about it. Naarifin is:

-A leader and champion of the Aldmeri Dominion, as the Dominion-aligned Vestige is.

-White haired. The Vestige is immortal and respawns, so it stands to reason he would still be alive and active. We know Vestige’s hair does gray and whiten, however, as this happens to the Nord across his trailers.

-Familiar with prophesy, as the Vestige would be as carriers of the Elder Scrolls during the Three Banners War 

-Connected with daedra, despite it going against the beliefs of his people. He has uncanny knowledge of Oblivion and rituals involving it. The Vestige gains access to daedric and soul-related magics as they progress the MQ.

-A powerful "Hero" to his people. He absolutely annihilated the Imperial Legions, cut a mean swath through southern Cyrodiil, and and only lost when confronted by a rival Hero.

-Seemingly immune to permanent death. He is "killed" by us in Legends, but then said to have spent 33 days alone in a cage afterwards? How is he alive? And why the cage? It’s like they knew killing him again would only trigger another respawn.

-Was carried away by daedra. Suffered no permanent death and has no apparent connection to Aetherius despite elven belief. The Vestige was created using daedric animus, and ultimately belongs to Oblivion. It seems like this is the case with Naarifin as well.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

I know in those old trailers they set the Nord up to be the Vestige, having his soul trapped and ending up in the same situation as the player at the start.

In the trailers, all three Heroes are stand-ins for the player character. The original plan was for their to canonically be several main protagonists doing these storylines at the same time. But they didn’t want to lock content behind creating new characters, so they made it possible to do everything with one even though it makes no sense.

4 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Saw the new season of stranger things. Was lit, tho they made the “big bad” human in origin so that’s kinda lame, or at least partially. 

Everyone’s been telling me it’s almost as good as season 1. I hope so. 2 and 3 turned me off of the show.  

6 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Everyone’s been telling me it’s almost as good as season 1. I hope so. 2 and 3 turned me off of the show.  

Damn I wouldn’t say two and three turned me off but they aren’t as good, I agree. 

1 is the best, closely followed by 4 despite the reveals. Then 3, then 2.

• Like 2

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

6 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Saw the new season of stranger things. Was lit, tho they made the “big bad” human in origin so that’s kinda lame, or at least partially. 

The only thing I didn't care for this season was the Big Bad's motivation. When it was revealed, the energy produced by my rolling eyes could power the whole Upside Down.

• Like 1