Roleplayer's Off Topic Thread #36

4 hours ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

Good news everyone!

I've made an almost full recovery from the Rona. However, looks like I'm one of the poor schmucks that the virus fucked up their sense of smell.

All bread smells horribly rotten to me, but from what I've looked up aught to go away in a few weeks.

That’s good ^^ I guess I didn’t have Rona cause I never had that lol, is an odd symptom

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

17 hours ago, Celan said:

My interest in anything falls off sharply after completing the Brotherhood quest line. Nothing else feels as meaningful, including Far Harbor.

I liked the lower stakes of Far Harbor a lot better than the region-spanning "epic" that Fallout 4 tried to be. Thought the characters were stronger on average, and the plot more coherent.

Found DiMA and Nick Valentine’s stories to bring some nice pathos to the whole thing, not as much as Danse and Maxson, but it was still good. And Old Longfellow is just great. Reminds me of Vigge.

By-and-large, I liked that it addressed a lot of the same topics as the MQ, basically telling the same story on a smaller scale, but with way better writing.

You know, Ulysses has a way of describing other characters in a way that makes them sound really badass. He does it a lot.

I love his description of the Think Tank, likening them to ancient gods akin to those worshipped by the Greeks and Romans. He and Elijah are two of the baddest men around, and he doesn’t believe there is any chance in hell that they could topple the Think Tank if they tried.

"Have you ever wanted to speak to history - just to know the why of it? I don't. Not any longer. There's old stories about gods and men, past history, into myth - where the gods, they're like children... petulant, cruel. Those were the voices of the Big Empty, the past. Couldn't leave well enough alone, had to ask. Had to ask the why of it. Their answers were madness. And power, stronger than me, would take a hundred Elijahs... someone tougher than him or I to best them in their Dome."

8 hours ago, The Good Doctor said:

I liked the lower stakes of Far Harbor a lot better than the region-spanning "epic" that Fallout 4 tried to be. Thought the characters were stronger on average, and the plot more coherent.

Found DiMA and Nick Valentine’s stories to bring some nice pathos to the whole thing, not as much as Danse and Maxson, but it was still good. And Old Longfellow is just great. Reminds me of Vigge.

By-and-large, I liked that it addressed a lot of the same topics as the MQ, basically telling the same story on a smaller scale, but with way better writing.

The one thing I most certainly did not like is the insinuation that the PC is a synth, even having them not remember anything before the War but the beginning of the game, though several times during the vanilla game the Sole Survivor can talk about other memories from before the War.

1 hour ago, The Good Doctor said:

You know, Ulysses has a way of describing other characters in a way that makes them sound really badass. He does it a lot.

I love his description of the Think Tank, likening them to ancient gods akin to those worshipped by the Greeks and Romans. He and Elijah are two of the baddest men around, and he doesn’t believe there is any chance in hell that they could topple the Think Tank if they tried.

"Have you ever wanted to speak to history - just to know the why of it? I don't. Not any longer. There's old stories about gods and men, past history, into myth - where the gods, they're like children... petulant, cruel. Those were the voices of the Big Empty, the past. Couldn't leave well enough alone, had to ask. Had to ask the why of it. Their answers were madness. And power, stronger than me, would take a hundred Elijahs... someone tougher than him or I to best them in their Dome."

Ulysses is great. I always side with him. He's part of the reason I go with House, because my Courier sees clearly that she's not infallible so the idea of jettisoning the person who saved Vegas in order to run it all herself seems pretty egotistical.

And the fact that the assholes in the Big MT hate House is another point in his favor. XD 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Celan said:

Ulysses is great. I always side with him.

No matter which faction I’m supporting on a given playthrough, it just feels way more satisfying to verbally defend my position to Ulysses and convince him that it’s correct. It makes it feel more like my Courier has actually thought through things and can stand on principle.

Killing him is badass, but considering the point he’s making, it almost feels like an admission that he’s right and I am wrong. I couldn’t defend my positions, so I resorted to brute force.

Come to think of it, I "spare" the big bads in New Vegas way more often than I outright kill them.

I trap Elijah because it’s more satisfying than just shooting him. Though "buried alive" probably should still count as a kill. XD 

I talk Joshua Graham out of executing Follows-Chalk for Graham’s own sake and the Sorrows’.

Mobius and the Think Tank get to live because they’re too useful to kill.

Ulysses joins up after being convinced he was wrong.

Benny always dies, though. It’s very hard to even make it possible for him to live, not that I would.

If I’m not siding with House, I usually do kill him, because even he considers it a mercy at that point.

Caesar’s half-and-half. I like the idea of him living long enough to see his plans fall apart, and then die to his tumor or to the securitrons emerging beneath his feet.

I usually talk Lanius into withdrawing from the dam and rethinking the idea of a Westward campaign.

I always spare Oliver if I’m siding with House, usually kill him if I’m for the Legion, and it’s half-and-half if I’m Indy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Celan said:

The one thing I most certainly did not like is the insinuation that the PC is a synth, even having them not remember anything before the War but the beginning of the game, though several times during the vanilla game the Sole Survivor can talk about other memories from before the War.

Oh yes, I really hate that bit and usually don’t even entertain it long enough for my character to display their sudden lack of memory. Whoever wrote it clearly wasn’t familiar with the numerous lines throughout the game that disprove it.

And there’s another part I hate even more. I’m sure I don’t even have to say it, but that tedious, momentum-killing memory puzzle segment. I modded it out this time around.

But those two things aside, I really do like Far Harbor a lot. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

They really put effort into those characters think I'll main Heinsberg XD

Not even a question. The only characters I would consider picking over Heisenberg are Joe Baker or RE4 Leon Kennedy. XD 

I’m most interested in the Rose DLC, though. 

6 hours ago, The Good Doctor said:

Oh yes, I really hate that bit and usually don’t even entertain it long enough for my character to display their sudden lack of memory. Whoever wrote it clearly wasn’t familiar with the numerous lines throughout the game that disprove it.

And there’s another part I hate even more. I’m sure I don’t even have to say it, but that tedious, momentum-killing memory puzzle segment. I modded it out this time around.

But those two things aside, I really do like Far Harbor a lot. 

There I rely on the godlike powers of the console command. XD 

Actually I've just become a big cheater in general in Fallout 4. I refuse to go scrounging for aluminum.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Celan said:

Ulysses is great. I always side with him. He's part of the reason I go with House, because my Courier sees clearly that she's not infallible so the idea of jettisoning the person who saved Vegas in order to run it all herself seems pretty egotistical.

And the fact that the assholes in the Big MT hate House is another point in his favor. XD 

Nothin wrong with bein egotistical :P He is very egotistical himself, and has a right to be. But so does the courier, potentially.

House is probably best for humanity but if you don’t care about humanity as a whole but the freedom and wellbeing of those there in Vegas, one can make an argument for killing house, even if people don’t agree.

Usually tho it’s a pretty selfish choice, totally depends on your courier. It felt for me like the natural progression to my story. I was out for revenge on Benny but then my scope broadened. And as my scope broadened, Ulysses gave me the urge to nation build. 

There is imo a big argument for not letting the wholely pragmatic run the world. Even in an apocalyptic one.

• Like 2

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

3 hours ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

House is probably best for humanity but if you don’t care about humanity as a whole but the freedom and wellbeing of those there in Vegas, one can make an argument for killing house, even if people don’t agree.

Pretty much my stance. Of the four options, House is the one who will do the most to propel humanity forward. Look what he’s done with Vegas in just the decade or so since he woke up, let alone his prewar accomplishments. Long-term, I think his ending probably looks the best.

But I still like Indy better. House will build a world in the exact image that he dreams of, no compromise. And he will stomp out anyone who stands in the way of that or has no place in it. We see it with Vault 21 and the Kings. The Courier is a more flexible leader figure by comparison, and likely a more moral one as well. But even if he isn’t, at least he won’t live forever like a sort of god king.

I also just really like the Indy narrative. Feels like a solid character arc, starting as a careless wanderer who helped kill a nation, to a more reflective leader who has learned lessons from every group he’s interacted with and uses them to help build a better one.

This is pretty hilarious. I was telling Doc my Dad's  GF is a producer; she mainly did stuff for old Canadian cartoons but she now works on VFX for big movies and shows (she works for an American studio). Her company announced there working on the Fallout series so Jess might be attached to the project XD

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BigBossBalrog said:

This is pretty hilarious. I was telling Doc my Dad's  GF is a producer; she mainly did stuff for old Canadian cartoons but she now works on VFX for big movies and shows (she works for an American studio). Her company announced there working on the Fallout series so Jess might be attached to the project XD

Tell her to make the Legion ending canon. To troll. 

7 hours ago, The Good Doctor said:

Pretty much my stance. Of the four options, House is the one who will do the most to propel humanity forward. Look what he’s done with Vegas in just the decade or so since he woke up, let alone his prewar accomplishments. Long-term, I think his ending probably looks the best.

But I still like Indy better. House will build a world in the exact image that he dreams of, no compromise. And he will stomp out anyone who stands in the way of that or has no place in it. We see it with Vault 21 and the Kings. The Courier is a more flexible leader figure by comparison, and likely a more moral one as well. But even if he isn’t, at least he won’t live forever like a sort of god king.

I also just really like the Indy narrative. Feels like a solid character arc, starting as a careless wanderer who helped kill a nation, to a more reflective leader who has learned lessons from every group he’s interacted with and uses them to help build a better one.

House isn't really interested in world building. He wants the Strip and the moon, and I figure, he can have those. I'd rather not manage that drunk den anyway. The Courier is still there and can work on development in the outer communities which is where most of the people live. And, she knows where House lives, if he gets uppity. As his trusted lieutenant, she would still have access. I do dislike his treatment of the Kings, and that you can't convince him they can be made into allies.