Roleplayer’s Off Topic Thread #20

Vault 31  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Which experiment would you choose?

• Fill up the population with as many confirmed psychopaths that have yet been convicted of murder.
    • Fill up the population with pacifists but also fill the vault with as much weapons and ammo as possible.
    • Have hidden speakers constantly play tapes backwards that tell the dwellers to do horrible things to each other.
    • Fill up the population with prude people and make the vault suits disintegrate over time.
    • Fill the vault with a ridiculous amount of alcohol and the equipment to make more.

I

1 minute ago, Centurion said:

Nah, Star Wars rp

The Expanse or Altered Carbon :P 

I guess I'm not as big a star wars fan as I thought lol, but I'm not gonna lie, reading people's star wars ocs was about the same as people making their own Avenger super heroes. Its tone is just too fantasy for me to really take it seriously.

Like having a Harry Potter RP, which does exist lol.

• Like 1

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

1 minute ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

I

I guess I'm not as big a star wars fan as I thought lol, but I'm not gonna lie, reading people's star wars ocs was about the same as people making their own Avenger super heroes. Its tone is just too fantasy for me to really take it seriously.

Like having a Harry Potter RP, which does exist lol.

Harry Potter and the Well Lubricated Wand

Also, everyone should watch Kingdom on netflix. Best zombie tv show I've ever seen.

Don't let the Korean thing or its subtitles scare you off, this shit is lit, really good story and characters too. Based off a book.

And its super tense and entertaining. There's a scene in it that reminds me of the battle of Ostagar. 

Awwwwww and they ended the first season on a fucking cliffhanger, nevermind what I said, 0/10 don't watch XD 

I'm mad now, they better give it a second season. 

edit: There will be. Apparently they're so confident in the show that it was greenlighted before the first season finished.

6 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

“The tone is just too fantasy” coming from a guy who’s been in an Elder scrolls RP for 7 years :rofl: I doubt we’d make it faniciful, well balrog would, but we could all just ignore that like we already do

Fuck:dntknw:

4 minutes ago, Centurion said:

“The tone is just too fantasy” coming from a guy who’s been in an Elder scrolls RP for 7 years :rofl: I doubt we’d make it faniciful, well balrog would, but we could all just ignore that like we already do

I figured someone would say that ;) but for me Elder Scroll's tone overall isn't nearly as fantasy as Star Wars, in my opinion. Star Wars just now started playing with the idea that dark isn't necessarily evil always and light isn't necessarily always good. 

These themes and much more mature themes have been present in TES for years. Its definitely fantasy but its not so much that I'd compare it to Harry Potter, unlike Star Wars.

I think its because of the adventurous style and tone of the movies. Plus, the music. It's just hard for me to take it seriously enough to want to write stories in it.

I love watching it, but somehow the universe just doesn't feel real enough for me to really picture it.

Mass Effect imo did a much better job making its sci fi universe feel real. I could write up characters for that for sure.

And I also just don't really give a shit about anything else in its universe that doesn't concern the Jedi and Sith lol.

3 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

And I also just don't really give a shit about anything else in its universe that doesn't concern the Jedi and Sith lol.

And there’s the route of the problem lol, but everyone has their opinions so whatever. Not like you’d participate *cough* fallout *cough* B|

• Like 1

Fuck:dntknw:

Lol yea, my problem with trying to write for Fallout really centers around the unfamiliarity with the location, if I can't picture it well I find it hard to start writing for it.

Time was the main thing, but that's the other thing. If it were smack dab in new vegas before the hoover dams second battle, it would've been a lot easier for me. 

Though I suppose it would've been way too hard with how many variations to everything there is to do with that game and its events.

I.E. I hate writing lots of descriptions of a place and I'd feel obligated to do so a bunch for a new location, lol. 

The fourth chapter of the RP coming up already feels like a daunting task as it is for that very reason for me. Let alone juggling between that and the fallout rp.

Im the opposite. I grew tired of the big badass force users. Its the little guys that attained their fruits without gifted force power. Old aristocrat captains and admirals, gifted non clones serving on and off the front, @Centurion Mandalorians ;).

Let the Jedi and Sith have their epic battles, my eyes are leaning towards the large scale stuff.

• Like 1

I usually feel burdened by wanting to describe the setting too. For the Fallout roleplay I used google street view and maps to look around the city. Looked up some important buildings and did more specific digging into them. But you could just pick it up from what we've already described, since we've written quite a bit now. Or stick to smaller descriptions that of rooms and individual buildings. Since we're all writing in the same city, or near it, we all share the descriptive load versus only one or two people writing for an entire kingdom. 

I think the thing with New Vegas was that it wouldn't feel like we're telling a new story as much. With the current Fallout rp the only returning character really is off screen. Plus, Doc had a pretty fantastic premise that's led to a really interesting story. New Vegas would feel overdone at this point, I think

1 hour ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Don't let the Korean thing or its subtitles scare you off, this shit is lit, really good story and characters too

If you want a really good Korean zombie movie, watch Train to Busan. It's fantastic

I also think the Old Republic setting would lend itself better to a less Space Opera-y story and a more sci-fi one. Not to mention, certain places in Star Wars have always been more grounded than others. Coruscant underbelly, Mos Eisley, etc. Though I could dig the Expanse for sure

Edited by BTC
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Altered Carbon would lead to some very varied and unique posts. There’s so much you could do with it, there’s AI, virtual realities, switching bodies (that might get confusing but the possibilities are limitless)...

Would suit me very well I think.

@BTC after seeing this show I actually might, Though the shows set in the days where they just started getting firearms and still primarily used spears and swords.

But even so, it helped me get past my assumption of it being silly because it’s korean. Dead wrong.

13 hours ago, The Good Doctor said:

I think someone mentioned Dishonored once. I’m not sure if that universe would lend as well to an RP, but it is a really cool and different setting.

I think I mentioned Dishonored when you suggested we start another rp once the TES one is done. Which I frankly think would be the only way it can work since I don't think anyone here is willing to juggle three rps at the same time. 

13 hours ago, The Good Doctor said:

Pillars of Eternity or Tyranny too, but I doubt most here will ever play those. I haven’t even gotten around to the latter yet.

I think Tyranny would be great. But I'd also think Warhammer 40k could be great. Problem is I don't think anyone else (apart from Balrog in the latter case) is any familiar with the settings. 

9 hours ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Lol yea, my problem with trying to write for Fallout really centers around the unfamiliarity with the location, if I can't picture it well I find it hard to start writing for it.

Try to picture yourself Fallout 4's Boston but with the central districts having been pretty much restored to former glory (except for the upper reaches of the skyscrapers) and the outlying suburbs still in ruins. That's pretty much Wellstone in the rp. 

If nothing else I'd at least suggest reading some more posts till you either catch up or feel the rp isn't for you. Also don't feel bad about asking questions. Trust me, I have asked Doc some of the most ridiculous questions regarding the setting. 

Edited by Witchking of Angmar
Grammar
  • Like 1

Power corrupts, absolute power... is a whole lot of fun!

1 hour ago, Celan said:

If there's smut in it, I might even read a Star Wars story.

“Horny, you are. Willing, the mind is, but weak, is the flesh!”

*kooo- haaaaa*

*kooo- haaaaa*

”I find your lack of faith... arousing.”

”Oooh, strong the force is, in this one!!!”

*lightsaber clash noises*

*lightsabers power off*

XD 

Im good.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Celan said:

You guys could just write fanfiction. If there's smut in it, I might even read a Star Wars story.

The way we do RPs, it’s basically just co-op fanficfion already. XD I prefer it that way, myself. Don’t aspire to be an author, and most of the fun for me comes from the social aspect of it all. I like working with you guys.

• Like 1

It's always nice when your writing gets reinforced by the canon after you come up with it.

10 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

The way we do RPs, it’s basically just co-op fanficfion already. XD I prefer it that way, myself. Don’t aspire to be an author, and most of the fun for me comes from the social aspect of it all. I like working with you guys.

Then do smut with Centurion and Czar lol XD 

edit: Don’t 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 2