Spooktober Gaming

10 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

But holy fuck this part will always give me chills 

That part was really good but I feel like they were so proud of it that they expected it to basically carry the game. Like everything else was just setup so he could deliver that monologue. XD 

• Like 1

It's always nice when your writing gets reinforced by the canon after you come up with it.

Just now, The Good Doctor said:

That part was really good but I feel like they were so proud of it that they expected it to basically carry the game. Like everything else was just setup so he could deliver that monologue. XD 

Pretty much XD

The Pig Attack on London made me scream "why wasn't the rest of the game so frantic and freaky?" But it is a

beautiful monologue XD

RE2 kinda spoiler

Screw that first licker. I spotted him before the game wanted me to and naturally started shooting. But it didn’t do any damage because he apparently only activated when I got closer so the scripted jump scare could occur. Boo

Ah well. XD I reloaded because I am not losing ammo to something like that. Bastard was tough as hell too. I hope they don’t become too common before I get a bazooka or something.

It's always nice when your writing gets reinforced by the canon after you come up with it.

5 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

RE2 kinda spoiler

Hide contents

Screw that first licker. I spotted him before the game wanted me to and naturally started shooting. But it didn’t do any damage because he apparently only activated when I got closer so the scripted jump scare could occur. Boo

Ah well. XD I reloaded because I am not losing ammo to something like that. Bastard was tough as hell too. I hope they don’t become too common before I get a bazooka or something.

Get the shoty yet? 

18 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

You should be able to grab it soon, you know were it is thought right? 

No. Maybe I’ll find out tomorrow. I’m about to detonate some C4 which I expect is gonna attract all sorts of nasty business so I’m gonna save and call it quits for tonight. 

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve had a crack at Amnesia Rebirth this week. Apparently I’m a little past halfway. I won’t spoil the story, but I’ll still put my thoughts so far in tags just in case.

I’ve gotta say I’m not very impressed. The protagonist is constantly talking, which really takes me out of it. Like, you can be sneaking through the shadows with a monster nearby and she’ll still say out loud the most obvious shit. Like the player is just too dumb to figure things out without verbal help. An in-universe explanation is sort of given for this eventually, but it’s not a good one, imo.

The horror is much cheaper than Dark Descent. Not even close. There are tons of obnoxious screen flashing jump scares in this game, which I found disappointing as I thought Frictional made it a point to avoid relying on these sorts of cheap unearned scares in their games. The fear system is just a worse version of DD’s insanity system. The monster appearances (so far, at least) are much more heavily scripted. 

I won’t say anything on the story until I’ve played it to the end. I think it could still be alright and it does feel like there are lots of pieces to a potentially interesting puzzle. That said, so far it has been very confusing (more so than DD or SOMA) and I hope more of the threads start coming together soon. There is a love story as the B plot though which I feel the game banked way too heavily on us caring about.

Gameplay is pretty standard but there are a couple mechanics that I found very odd and not exactly in a good way. But they’re tied to the story so I won’t spoil them. Anyone who plays it will figure out what I’m talking about pretty early on.

It’s weird how much of a downgrade this game feels like compared to the original, since it seemed like they were hoping to recapture some of its uniqueness. I’m more interested in the world it’s building than I was in the world in Machine for Pigs, but I overall I could see them being on a similar level for me, which is disappointing. I hope the story really wows me in the second half, because I feel like that’s what it’ll take.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

40 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I’ve had a crack at Amnesia Rebirth this week. Apparently I’m a little past halfway. I won’t spoil the story, but I’ll still put my thoughts so far in tags just in case.

Hide contents

I’ve gotta say I’m not very impressed. The protagonist is constantly talking, which really takes me out of it. Like, you can be sneaking through the shadows with a monster nearby and she’ll still say out loud the most obvious shit. Like the player is just too dumb to figure things out without verbal help. An in-universe explanation is sort of given for this eventually, but it’s not a good one, imo.

The horror is much cheaper than Dark Descent. Not even close. There are tons of obnoxious screen flashing jump scares in this game, which I found disappointing as I thought Frictional made it a point to avoid relying on these sorts of cheap unearned scares in their games. The fear system is just a worse version of DD’s insanity system. The monster appearances (so far, at least) are much more heavily scripted. 

I won’t say anything on the story until I’ve played it to the end. I think it could still be alright and it does feel like there are lots of pieces to a potentially interesting puzzle. That said, so far it has been very confusing (more so than DD or SOMA) and I hope more of the threads start coming together soon. There is a love story as the B plot though which I feel the game banked way too heavily on us caring about.

Gameplay is pretty standard but there are a couple mechanics that I found very odd and not exactly in a good way. But they’re tied to the story so I won’t spoil them. Anyone who plays it will figure out what I’m talking about pretty early on.

It’s weird how much of a downgrade this game feels like compared to the original, since it seemed like they were hoping to recapture some of its uniqueness. I’m more interested in the world it’s building than I was in the world in Machine for Pigs, but I overall I could see them being on a similar level for me, which is disappointing. I hope the story really wows me in the second half, because I feel like that’s what it’ll take.

tenor.gif

I hear similar lukewarm thoughts from another friend of mine :( You planning to finish Resident Evil 2 still? 

Played a quick one. It's called Murder House, by a Dev called Puppet Combo. They make intentionally corny, cheesy slasher games that look and play like a Silent Hill/Resident Evil game, while feeling and sounding like Slasher knock off movies you'd find at a rental store. Pretty good fun. Murder House had alot more effort and production then his other games. It's like one massive escape room with a slasher chasing around, and some story elements. 

Chased by the Easter Ripper, a Serial Killer that dresses like a bunny XD This time he had the budget to add custom death animations.

hug.gif?t=1603733258