Spooktober Gaming

Imagine in Elder Scrolls if you were in a deep cave or dungeon mostly filled with brackish water and nearly pitch black and being stalked by an Argonian.

The player being forced to carry only a small equip load or they'll drown which means no heavy armor or weapons. Unless they themselves are a moist boi, it turns the place into a massive ambush site.

2 minutes ago, Witchking of Angmar said:

I played Subnautica till the end. That thing scared the hell out of me. Fuck the deep ocean. Fuck the dark, deep ocean.

Oddly enough, I think Subnautica was scarier to me in this regard than SOMA.

Not as a horror game overall, but specifically when it comes to the deep sea scares. 

It's always nice when your writing gets reinforced by the canon after you come up with it.

1 minute ago, Witchking of Angmar said:

I've also had that game's plot spoiled for me as well.

At this point I might as well just pick a horror game and play it for the jump scares.

Dude that sucks XD

It's not super jumpscarey, but you should try Resident Evil 2 Remake. It's very scary and not super plot heavy (though it has a decent pulpy one) XD

3 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

Imagine in Elder Scrolls if you were in a deep cave or dungeon mostly filled with brackish water and nearly pitch black and being stalked by an Argonian.

The player being forced to carry only a small equip load or they'll drown which means no heavy armor or weapons. Unless they themselves are a moist boi, it turns the place into a massive ambush site.

Night eye + water breathing, N’wah.

• Sad 1

It's always nice when your writing gets reinforced by the canon after you come up with it.

3 minutes ago, Witchking of Angmar said:

I've also had that game's plot spoiled for me as well.

At this point I might as well just pick a horror game and play it for the jump scares.

In that case, go with Amnesia. It’s good even if you know the general plot. I imagine you’ll still be scared. XD 

4 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

I've thought about a horror spin off for practically every franchise I like XD

Halo Flood Spin Off as an ODST or Special Ops Elite would be the shit 

1 minute ago, The Good Doctor said:

Oddly enough, I think Subnautica was scarier to me in this regard than SOMA.

Not as a horror game overall, but specifically when it comes to the deep sea scares. 

I always tried to hug the sea floor. Just so I wouldn't have to worry about something coming up from beneath me. The worst part was going to that floating island because I had to go through a large body of open water.

Power corrupts, absolute power... is a whole lot of fun!

Just now, BigBossBalrog said:

Unless the character would be one of the marines that survived with Johnson from the books they'd be dead by the end, but I'd love to have a spineoff of Halo CE from the point of view of a marine or ODST. 

• Like 1

I've thought about a horror spin off for practically every franchise I like XD

This is one of the many reasons why I love Dead Money. XD 

Just now, Witchking of Angmar said:

I always tried to hug the sea floor. Just so I wouldn't have to worry about something coming up from beneath me. The worst part was going to that floating island because I had to go through a large body of open water.

The Floating Island was the weirdest part of the game cause the engine wasn't built to handle land transversal XD  

Subnautica was great though, it's a horror game in all but name. One of the only Survival Games i've beaten. 

1 minute ago, Witchking of Angmar said:

I know exactly what you mean. This is why SOMA’s water portions are less scary to me. You’re rooted to the sea floor.

Oddly enough, Oblivion’s Thieves Guild has a pretty good water scare segment. You have to swim through an underwater cave with a massive open chamber that is very dark. And somewhere inside is a giant slaughterfish. 

One of the only Survival Games i've beaten

It largely loses most of it's creepiness and scare factor once you beat it, but The Forest was one freaky ass game. Nothing is quite as unnerving as being far from your constructed base when it turns nighttime and knowing at any moment you can run into a bunch of cannibals (or in later days the actual monsters). Once they find you, better fucking hope you have enough stamina to sprint to your base.

2 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I know exactly what you mean. This is why SOMA’s water portions are less scary to me. You’re rooted to the sea floor.

Oddly enough, Oblivion’s Thieves Guild has a pretty good water scare segment. You have to swim through an underwater cave with a massive open chamber that is very dark. And somewhere inside is a giant slaughterfish. 

gREufGL.jpg?1

6 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

The Floating Island was the weirdest part of the game cause the engine wasn't built to handle land transversal XD  

Subnautica was great though, it's a horror game in all but name. One of the only Survival Games i've beaten. 

I beat it twice. Once of survival and once on hardcore. Took a few attempts  n hardcore. Also pretty sure enemies get more aggressive on hardcore as those snakes in the pink mushroom cave barely attacked on survival whereas they loved shewing on me in hardcore.

4 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Oddly enough I found the deepest caves of Subnautica to be the least scary. There's pretty much only two ways the enemies could come at you: from ahead or from behind. Also they're somewhat well lit compared the open deep sea. Especially the deep sea at night.

Edited by Witchking of Angmar
Grammar

Power corrupts, absolute power... is a whole lot of fun!

If you guys like Indie's here's some i'd recomend. 

Detention 

https://store.steampowered.com/app/555220/Detention/

Goes deep into Taiwanese mythology, and is set during the White Scare (era of political upheaval) and is about a young girl being haunted by Taiwanese Demons and her own past. I'd particularly recommend this cause it's amazing; actually has alot of puzzles, enemy variety, and the writing is great (it's on PC and PS4). Terrifying atmosphere with no jump scares.  The game, and the company who made it, because of there, second game, was banned in China.  Art and sound design are fantastic, but stylized. 

ss_8ca3507ccde88568590f5fb5666f978398b98

6923f149284916e1eb2510b3f3b99913.jpg

ss_2de6ae33d45fa0eb745034400286dc3163b63

Lost in Vivo

https://store.steampowered.com/app/963710/Lost_in_Vivo/

First Person Silent Hill. Just a mindfuck in general. Has a fully realized combat system, puzzles, and a ton of variety in encounters. Amazing sound design, and has plenty of jumpscares while remaining atmospheric. The story is a little hard to gauge, but it starts with the player walking there corgi, who gets drained into a sewer grate during a storm, and you have to brave the tunnels. Has alot of thematic resonance with the Divine Comedy. 

3fb4351b9078014bda5c4f3b9a2286d15f6d2bcd

Lost-In-Vivo.gif

ss_260782a4cbc164fc3fd9a70e4568325032499

Lone Survivor 

https://store.steampowered.com/app/209830/Lone_Survivor_The_Directors_Cut/

Very Silent Hill-esque, but with light survival mechanics (There's an invisible sanity meter that refills if you eat and do chores. Optional, but it can give you a bad ending) The level design is Metroidvania-esque, with you exploring your rundown apartment; using stealth, flares, running away, and weapons as a last resort. There's alot of tiny little systems running in the background, including a weird morality meter, secret food cooking, and alot more weird stuff. Humanity has fallen to a mysterious plaque, and horrofic monsters have infested the city. There's alot of story, but it's weird and abstrasct. Terrific atmosphere and presentation. The soundtrack is amazing. 

2190650-cs.jpg

lone-survivor-indie-horror-game.jpg

1 hour ago, Witchking of Angmar said:

Oddly enough I found the deepest caves of Subnautica to be the least scary. There's pretty much only two ways the enemies could come at you: from ahead or from behind. Also they're somewhat well lit compared the open deep sea. Especially the deep sea at night.

The portion of that cave in Oblivion is scary because it’s basically a giant chamber that you have to swim downward into while not being able to see the bottom or every side. It’s really open, which makes it similarly uncomfortable. Granted, it’s still Oblivion and you can be godlike by level 10, so it’s not that scary.

But yeah, I feel you. I’ve never beaten Subnautica but I have played enough to know what you mean. I also tried it on a friend’s VR set once and that crap was nerve wrecking. The deep sea used to scare the hell out of me and I still ain’t the biggest fan. XD 

27 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Lost in Vivo

Of the three, this one looks the most up my alley.

2 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

This month would also be a good time to replay Bloodborne with a fresh character (par for the course for me XD). Because it's October isn't the return to Yharnam event going on? So that means invaders!

@The Good Doctor @ColonelKillaBee @BigBossBalrog

Any of you up for it? Doesn't have to be tonight, just to plan it.

On 10/4/2020 at 7:29 PM, BigBossBalrog said:

And Bloodborne dosen't count, since we've all played it at least twice XD

• Haha 2