Spooktober Gaming

Just now, BigBossBalrog said:

Giving me thinking PTSD to playing Code Veronica with headphones and having his nasally SCREECH burst my eardrums. 

Yeah, it’s pretty awful. XD If they ever get around to remaking that one, his new VA will almost certainly be one of the clearest improvements. 

Note, I wasn’t factoring Separate Ways when I said Ada was worse since I haven’t played that yet. 

I sometimes sleep with chill music; I've been enjoying a horror music playlist (it seems kind of weird, but for some reason, old Survival Horror games have really comfy music)...and then I woke up in the middle of the night, with this blazing in my speaker and I in the oblivion and panic of just waking up, I thought I was fucked XD I swear whoever made it was playing a practical joke. 

3 hours ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

Never played the game he's in, can I get an example? :P

Sorry I could only find this scene in low quality. This may be one of the oldest videos on YouTube. XD 

Just keep in mind that 1) the actor is Canadian, 2) the character is only 17, 3) they changed his voice to a way more normal one in a later game, and 4) this is somehow only the second worst voiced character in RE. :P 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, The Good Doctor said:

Sorry I could only find this scene in low quality. This may be one of the oldest videos on YouTube. XD 

Just keep in mind that 1) the actor is Canadian, 2) the character is only 17, 3) they changed his voice to a way more normal one in a later game, and 4) this is somehow only the second worst voiced character in RE. :P 

Oh dear god that's bad

4 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

Oh dear god that's bad

his VA in Darkside Chronicles is much better. Which is weird because it’s an on-rails arcade shooter. XD 

But I guess it makes sense considering the original Code Veronica was made back when Japanese > American localization wasn’t nearly as consistent.

No excuse for Remake 4 Ada. Her VA was great in Remake 2, but apparently they changed it over some Union related politics or something. Meh. 

4 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

What's funny is HUNK has been played by the same dude for like twenty years; Keith Silverstein. While everyone else was replaced in the Remake. XD

"Once again, it's only you HUNK." 

"The death cannot die." 

Didn’t know that. :rofl: Dude only has like a few lines in the entire series and almost any gruff VA could’ve recorded them in a day. Respect to them for giving the same guy his due. 

@BigBossBalrog Much as we’ve talked about RE lately, I’d be interested to know what your preferences are for the series. Like if you had to rank the games or stuff you liked most (horror, action, comedy, etc), how would you?

I’m weird because RE4 Remake is my new favorite, but I’d honestly prefer future games to have the more straight-faced serious tone of the first three, with characters who are weaker/less experienced like Claire Leon in 2, scary zombies, and enemies who are not cartoonish. Very little of that applies to 4 but the gameplay is so good and characters so fun that it still reaches the top for me.

Of the games I’ve played so far, my ranking would look something like:

4 Remake > 2 Remake > 4 > 3 Remake > Code Veronica > 7 > 5 > 8

Code Veronica might move higher or lower once I’ve played more of it. And I really need to play the first game… not sure about 6. XD 

Resident Evil such a monstrous franchise in terms of size and I've played so many of the games it's pretty hard. If i was forced at gunpoint to list off the top of my head, I'd rank it.

Remake 2

Remake 1

Remake 4. 

Village

CV/5

Remake 3

Revelations

Revelations 2

Shit

Resident Evil 6

I lean towards the horror side: when it comes to tone I can take cheesy or serious as long as the gameplay is tight. Action-Horror though is perfectly fine: once again it needs to be tuned to balance the both, as long as the two are acting in unison. 

• Haha 1

Mostly agreed. My ideal future for RE would be serious and lean heavily into the survival horror stuff, but I’ll happily accept a more action-heavy approach if it’s like RE4 where the gameplay is excellent and the action is still well-balanced by horror. It toed the line while RE5 leapt across it.

Speaking of, you left out 5! :lol: Where does it land on your list?

I’ve heard Revelations went back to RE’s survival horror roots after the later games steered the focus towards action and cheese. I haven’t played them yet myself, but was looking forward to it after learning that. Are they that bad?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Good Doctor said:

Mostly agreed. My ideal future for RE would be serious and lean heavily into the survival horror stuff, but I’ll happily accept a more action-heavy approach if it’s like RE4 where the gameplay is excellent and the action is still well-balanced by horror. It toed the line while RE5 leapt across it.

Speaking of, you left out 5! :lol: Where does it land on your list?

I’ve heard Revelations went back to RE’s survival horror roots after the later games steered the focus towards action and cheese. I haven’t played them yet myself, but was looking forward to it after learning that. Are they that bad?

Edited; I forgot about Zero and five; edited XD

They aren't. The thing is, everything before six I generally enjoyed (to hugely varying degrees but still). Resident Evil is hard formula to fuck up. 

In the case of Revelations 1 and 2 they were episodic games made for the Nintendo 3DS and then ported to Consoles. I do enjoy handheld titles, but there's usually a huge hardware limitation to them. The Remasters tidying things up a bit, but at there core your still playing games that sacrificed alot to be playable on the 3DS. Gameplay-wise there pretty much Resident Evil 4.5, but quite a bit less polished XD 

I actually played them a long time ago, and I've never replayed them, so I don't remeber much otherwise then I had fun, but hardly got any impressions for them 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

*Doc a year ago* "I'm a fan of Resident Evil...but I'd call myself a minor one."

*Doc now* Playing twenty year old games and reading S.D Perry novels to get his Redfield fix*

Pretty much. One thing sort of just led to another. XD I’ve really liked the original RE4 for a while now, and thought RE5 was stupid fun. Then I played 7 & 8, which I liked quite a bit (7 scared the hell out of me at first) but over time developed sort of mixed feelings overall. 

Then Remakes came and looked awesome but I just never made the time to beat them. Then Remake 4 got announced and I got so excited that I finally went back and played through Remake 2 and 3, fell in love with Remake 2. 

Then came Remake 4 and I got obsessed (playing it right now actually; on Salazar’s boss fight). It’s legit one of my all time favorite horror/action games ever.

Now I’m just in the mood for good horror in general, and have liked this series so might as well look to the games I hadn’t played yet. Code Veronica made sense since it’s the sequel to 2.

And I needed something to read in the woods so I got a couple novelizations. XD I wanted to read the first one but I accidentally bought it in Spanish, so I read Code Veronica instead. 

Just now, The Good Doctor said:

Pretty much. One thing sort of just led to another. XD I’ve really liked the original RE4 for a while now, and thought RE5 was stupid fun. Then I played 7 & 8, which I liked quite a bit (7 scared the hell out of me at first) but have sort of mixed feelings towards overall. 

I do get that, but at the same time, 7 has been stated as being the ONLY reason why Capcom took the risk of going back to it's horror roots; it's Success pretty much greenlight the modern Remakes (it killed the shitty direction they were taking the series with 6), and I'd argue the game as a whole saved Survival Horror as a genre. So I have mad respect for it;  it plays the most similar to the original games despite it's first person. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BigBossBalrog said:

I do get that, but at the same time, 7 has been stated as being the ONLY reason why Capcom took the risk of going back to it's horror roots; it's Success pretty much greenlight the modern Remakes (it killed the shitty direction they were taking the series with 6), and I'd argue the game as a whole saved Survival Horror as a genre. So I have mad respect for it;  it plays the most similar to the original games despite it's first person. 

I agree with all of this. RE7 steered the franchise back in a much more positive direction than it was heading in with 6, and was indeed influential in lots of good ways. I am very glad that it exists. 

This is about as unlikely as Bethesda making an isometric Fallout game, but I honestly would not mind at all if Capcom did another fixed camera (that follows you slightly like in Code Veronica) game with tank controls. With modern tech, they could make it insanely refined compared to the OGs, and it would just be a really neat callback to oldschools of the genre. But yeah, I know, never gonna happen. XD 

8 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

This is about as unlikely as Bethesda making an isometric Fallout game, but I honestly would not mind at all if Capcom did another fixed camera (that follows you slightly like in Code Veronica) game with tank controls. With modern tech, they could make it insanely refined compared to the OGs, and it would just be a really neat callback to oldschools of the genre. But yeah, I know, never gonna happen. XD 

If you mention tank control  in a crowd of Resident Evil fans; they'll literally tear each other apart like zombies XD There's actually alot of Indie games that are using Tank Controls and pretty much Resident Evil fan-games. 

I'll once again recommend Signalis; which plays exactly like an old School Resident Evil. 

And of course I also get my "new" fix from the various mod projects. 

• Thanks 1

@BigBossBalrog Went home a few minutes for lunch and beat Ramon Salazar. Took me a few tries but that was a fun boss fight. I love how he starts out as this haughty taunty prick at the beginning gets progressively more offended and petulant as you damage him. :lol: And by the end he’s just begging for help, like a messed up child in an… well, I was gonna type "adult’s body" but that’s a little short of the mark. XD