Spooktober Gaming

7 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

It's from the Short Message offering new lore for a "new generation" of Silent Hill players. It's fucking stupid.  XD

As if the old messages of guilt, grief, and PTSD are somehow outdated concepts… ¬¬

That stuff was timeless. The only thing in the Silent Hill franchise that will ever become dated is this schlock they’re writing now. It’s quite literally only trying to be relevant to the current generation.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

As if the old messages of guilt, grief, and PTSD are somehow outdated concepts… ¬¬

That stuff was timeless. The only thing in the Silent Hill franchise that will ever become dated is this schlock they’re writing now. It’s quite literally only trying to be relevant to the current generation.

I mean I think they didn't have to rely on stupid retcons (The Silent Hill effect?! So like everyone on Tik Tok knows Silent Hill is some freaky place that preys on your inner demons?) to maybe try to draw in a more "hip" audience XD Changing it to an angsty teenager (with the negative effect of social media as a theme) isn't a bad idea.

Just now, BigBossBalrog said:

I mean I think they didn't have to rely on stupid retcons (The Silent Hill effect?! So like everyone on Tik Tok knows Silent Hill is some freaky place that preys on your inner demons?) to maybe try to draw in a more "hip" audience XD Changing it to an angsty teenager (with the negative effect of social media as a theme) isn't a bad idea.

Having the teenage protagonist doesn’t bother me. It’s basically everything else about the premise that I hate.

If I wanted a commentary on the most annoyingly cynical trends and happenings of modern day life, I’d boot up GTA, not Silent Hill.

2 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Having the teenage protagonist doesn’t bother me. It’s basically everything else about the premise that I hate.

If I wanted a commentary on the most annoyingly cynical trends and happenings of modern day life, I’d boot up GTA, not Silent Hill.

Or make it so Covid was the catalyst for spreading the town's influence around :rofl:

Just now, BigBossBalrog said:

Or make it so Covid was the catalyst for spreading the town's influence around :rofl:

That’s what I’m getting at. And the whole "uncertain times/apprehension about the future" crap.

We get it. The world sucks, the internet sucks, and everyone you meet is a suicidally depressed pussy with more mental health disorders than the President has years remaining in his lifespan. Why’s this shit gotta follow us into our freaking video games?

I prefer Hunk staying as a mysterious side character. But maybe if they could keep his dialogue minimal, like a morally gray Master Chief, then it could work. Would probably be like FEAR but with zombies. 

Though they’d have to make it a spinoff set earlier in the timeline. Hunk was a seasoned vet back in 1998 so he’d probably be a straight up fossil by RE8.

Just now, The Good Doctor said:

I prefer Hunk staying as a mysterious side character. But maybe if they could keep his dialogue minimal, like a morally gray Master Chief, then it could work. Would probably be like FEAR but with zombies. 

Though they’d have to make it a spinoff set earlier in the timeline. Hunk was a seasoned vet back in 1998 so he’d probably be a straight up fossil by RE8.

a13639692a5debb9e5acb2425590a857.jpg

Old HUNK on one last OP would be a cool story idea XD 

Though yeah, maybe set it around the RE4 timeframe and have him doing wet government work after Umbrella collapsed. Could have tie into Remake 5 as a way to promote that. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Though yeah, maybe set it around the RE4 timeframe and have him doing wet government work after Umbrella collapsed. Could have tie into Remake 5 as a way to promote that. 

That’s why I put CV before RE5 Remake.

If RE5 comes next, then people who have only played the new REmakes will have no idea who Wesker is, barely know who Chris is, or why they’ve got a rivalry. CV is needed to fill that gap, and to give Claire some closure like RE4 did for Leon.

But to be honest, I’m with you on getting more new (not Remake) spinoffs set between RE3 and RE5. That is the most important part of the timeline and most of it got skipped over or handwaved.

Personally, I’d love to see some Umbrella bigwigs using Hunk to destroy evidence of their crimes while the company is collapsing and investigations are being conducted. For Hunk it would be one last big payday from Umbrella before it’s his turn to cut and run.

5 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

That’s why I put CV before RE5 Remake.

If RE5 comes next, then people who have only played the new REmakes will have no idea who Wesker is, barely know who Chris is, or why they’ve got a rivalry. CV is needed to fill that gap, and to give Claire some closure like RE4 did for Leon.

But to be honest, I’m with you on getting more new (not Remake) spinoffs set between RE3 and RE5. That is the most important part of the timeline and most of it got skipped over or handwaved.

Personally, I’d love to see some Umbrella bigwigs using Hunk to destroy evidence of their crimes while the company is collapsing and investigations are being conducted. For Hunk it would be one last big payday from Umbrella before it’s his turn to cut and run.

Resident Evil 1 HD (The remaster...of the remake) sold like three million copies and is widely available, so I'm sure at least a healthy portion of the people who started with the remakes went to that afterwards.  

I don't want to spoil Separate Ways, but in the new version Wesker has a much bigger role, so it's a pretty good introduction to be honest. 

That's a great idea; maybe they could introduce Spencer that way (like the mission is so important, Spencer deigns to show himself to HUNK for a briefing). Perfect chance to bring the classical variant of Zombies (which would be awesome to fight in a FPS), with Licker and Hunter variants. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Resident Evil 1 HD (The remaster...of the remake) sold like three million copies and is widely available, so I'm sure at least a healthy portion of the people who started with the remakes went to that afterwards.  

I mean, 3 million is respectable for what that game is and when it came out, but it is lot less than the 10-13 million that bought the other remakes. Most haven’t played it, unfortunately. 

25 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

I don't want to spoil Separate Ways, but in the new version Wesker has a much bigger role, so it's a pretty good introduction to be honest. 

That’s good, but I’m guessing he doesn’t do too much considering we never encounter him as Leon (far as I’m aware, at least). And players still won’t know what he’s got to do with Chris or Umbrella.

2 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I mean, 3 million is respectable for what that game is and when it came out, but it is lot less than the 10-13 million that bought the other remakes. Most haven’t played it, unfortunately. 

That’s good, but I’m guessing he doesn’t do too much considering we never encounter him as Leon (far as I’m aware, at least). And players still won’t know what he’s got to do with Chris or Umbrella.

Nah, he's pretty active (again no spoilers) XD And the ending shows pretty well what his game is. (Again no spoilers...)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

It's really refreshing to have one of my favorite series have a REGULAR release cycle of almost all quality games XD

That’s half the reason I’ve gotten so into it lately. Most other IPs that I like might get two games in a decade if we’re lucky. Resident Evil delivers way more than that, and Capcom is big enough to do it without sacrificing quality by forcing a single team to rush them out.

Except RE3R. XD But I think they learned their lesson from that. 

• Like 1