Spooktober Gaming

8 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

I guess if you can handle it's unrestrained camp, it's pretty good, and a fun romp XD The level design is nice and Metroidvania, but there's alot more set-pieces then the older games. 

I definitely don’t like its tone as much as any of the Remakes or even the original versions of the first three games, but I still like it well enough. Kinda funny but it makes me a little nostalgic for back when I used to play Dino Crisis all the time.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, The Good Doctor said:

I definitely don’t like its tone as much as any of the Remakes or even the original versions of the first three games, but I still like it well enough. Kinda funny but it makes me a little nostalgic for back when I used to play Dino Crisis all the time.

It honestly introduced alot of the stupid melodrama that the more contentious games used.

Though it has nothing that tops the opera singing leeches XD

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

It honestly introduced alot of the stupid melodrama that the more contentious games used.

Though it has nothing that tops the opera singing leeches XD

It also is where the action movie tropes that RE4 gets blamed for actually got introduced. The gameplay is pure horror, which is nice, but some of the cutscenes are just over the top high octane.

Just now, BigBossBalrog said:

Steve is literally the worst thing in the series. I don't know what fucking Capcom was thinking 

*squeaky voice trying to sound tough*

"Hows aboot we go our separate ways, eh? You’d just slow me down dontcha know."

4 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

It also is where the action movie tropes that RE4 gets blamed for actually got introduced. The gameplay is pure horror, which is nice, but some of the cutscenes are just over the top high octane.

*squeaky voice trying to sound tough*

"Hows aboot we go our separate ways, eh? You’d just slow me down dontcha know."

Claire should have given him a wedgie and threw him into the ocean XD

RE4 was guilty of a little of it too (Like when Leon does a Skyward scream for Mike the Helicaptor Pilot, the dude he's known for three minutes); but I think it's more like an 80's action horror movie. Its in the the same lineage of the Romero Zombie flick the original three feel like. While Code Veronica, 0, and 6 are just weird XD

• Haha 1

@BigBossBalrog I feel like Code Veronica would stand to gain even more from a remake than RE5. This game is really quite good in lots of ways, and much more directly connected to 1-3 than any later games are, with the zombies, Umbrella, Redfields, etc.

It has some silly elements with the story and villains (and Steve), but all of them could be easily fixed in a more serious rewrite. Do that, and make zombies as scary as in RE2, and you’ll have a really good classic RE game on your hands.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

@BigBossBalrog I feel like Code Veronica would stand to gain even more from a remake than RE5. This game is really quite good in lots of ways, and much more directly connected to 1-3 than any later games are, with the zombies, Umbrella, Redfields, etc.

It has some silly elements with the story and villains (and Steve), but all of them could be easily fixed in a more serious rewrite. Do that, and make zombies as scary as in RE2, and you’ll have a really good classic RE game on your hands.

I agree, but with Capcom....ehem "being more aware of western trends", maybe they won't want to walk on egg shells with "the cross-dressing freak" Alfred XD 

Code Veronica was supposed to lead into Resident Evil 3.5; the version that was scrapped in favor of the 4 we know and love today. 

4 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

I agree, but with Capcom....ehem "being more aware of western trends", maybe they won't want to walk on egg shells with "the cross-dressing freak" Alfred XD 

And I’d fine with that. Just like I was fine with Ashley being made less ditzy and more grounded. Alfred is one of the silliest characters in all of RE and I’d be happy to see him reworked a bit.

6 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Code Veronica was supposed to lead into Resident Evil 3.5; the version that was scrapped in favor of the 4 we know and love today. 

Funny thing is that RE3 and CV were being made at the same time, and Capcom didn’t decide until late in development which one they would actually give the title of "3". Originally, "Resident Evil: Nemesis" was to be a spinoff. 

24 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

And I’d fine with that. Just like I was fine with Ashley being made less ditzy and more grounded. Alfred is one of the silliest characters in all of RE and I’d be happy to see him reworked a bit.

Funny thing is that RE3 and CV were being made at the same time, and Capcom didn’t decide until late in development which one they would actually give the title of "3". Originally, "Resident Evil: Nemesis" was to be a spinoff. 

Another idea for 3 was it was going to take place on a cruise ship and star HUNK; which makes me very sad it was never made :(

But Resident Evil is such a weird series in that there's a ton of documentation and assets for prototype versions that Capcom has openly ackowleded. 

Resident Evil 2 has a 1.5 version that was similar, but really different at the same time.  

The character of Claire Redfield started out as Ezla Walker; a motorcycle racer XD

FCOKV9vWEAANmt9?format=jpg&name=large

And they Capcom gave her a nod in the Remake by giving Claire an official Ezla Walker skin XD

?imw=1024&imh=576&ima=fit&impolicy=Lette

There's so much stuff on it, there's even a Wikipedia entry on it XD

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resident_Evil_1.5

And modders are currently remaking it. 

Oh and of course 3.5, that was super dark and starred Leon slowly going insane (The Premise was the government had gotten enough dirt to arrest Spencer, so they sent Leon and a SOCOM team to do the deed: after being ambushed, his comrades massacred, and left for dead in the snow, Leon was going to wander through a snow-strewn castle, fighting his demons, and the ones brought on by an infection) 

EKRVQsBXsAAho78?format=png&name=small

And a full gameplay trailer was leaked a couple years back. It looks really creepy and unsettling. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

There's so much stuff on it, there's even a Wikipedia entry on it XD

I’m familiar. There is a really good YouTube channel, Avalanche Reviews, who has videos breaking down all kinds of this stuff in horror games, and Resident Evil is by far his most covered series. At least most of Elza’s traits ended up with Claire.

9 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

The Premise was the government had gotten enough dirt to arrest Spencer, so they sent Leon and a SOCOM team to do the deed: after being ambushed, his comrades massacred, and left for dead in the snow, Leon was going to wander through a snow-strewn castle, fighting his demons, and the ones brought on by an infection

I love this premise. Not so much the demons as I’d rather keep the supernatural out of RE, but a haunted Leon gripping onto his sanity during a black op sounds awesome to play. 

• Like 1

Just now, The Good Doctor said:

I’m familiar. There is a really good YouTube channel, Avalanche Reviews, who has videos breaking down all kinds of this stuff in horror games, and Resident Evil is by far his most covered series.

I love this premise. Not so much the demons as I’d rather keep the supernatural out of RE, but a haunted Leon gripping onto his sanity during a black op sounds awesome to play. 

As in his personal demons; but there was going to be a hallucination mechanic where Leon was assailed by figments of his imagination (based on the movie Jacob's Ladder) that he couldn't conventionally fight XD Sounded like they were adding quite a few Silent Hill elements. 

But yeah, the version was too ambitious (it was destroying the Gamecube's processing chips :rofl: ) and there was extremely controversial  elements in the story, so Capcom reluctantly pulled the plug. 

• Like 1

Just now, BigBossBalrog said:

As in his personal demons; but there was going to be a hallucination mechanic where Leon was assailed by figments of his imagination (based on the movie Jacob's Ladder) that he couldn't conventionally fight XD Sounded like they were adding quite a few Silent Hill elements. 

But yeah, the version was too ambitious (it was destroying the Gamecube's processing chips :rofl: ) and there was extremely controversial  elements in the story, so Capcom reluctantly pulled the plug. 

That sounds great. Bummer. 

I don’t know why I always end up getting in the mood for Resident Evil in November, but it’s happened again this year. XD 

I’m on a hunting trip right now, so I’ve only got a couple hours of wifi on my phone per day. The rest of my time I’m either in the woods or asleep. That means a lot of hours in the woods at night with nothing to do but read. So I gave the novelizations a try. They’re very short, could read two or three in a day, easy. I’m on Code Veronica right now and Book Steve started out even more annoying than Game Steve, but he actually grew on me after getting his POV a few times. Hope the same happens in the game.

Books also make me like Claire more. You get more of the "frightened nineteen-year-old" side of her when reading her thoughts. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Steve isn't even a pussy, he's like a tiny piece of one XD I wanted Chris to boulder punch him into the moon. 

Surprisingly competent, though, at least in the book. He’s got the bitchiest personality ever, but he nails so many headshots that even Claire is reluctantly impressed.

It helps that I can’t hear him in the book. XD His voice in the game is horrendously annoying. 

1 minute ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Nah bullshit, especially with Seperate Ways taken into consideration. Ada just sounds bored; Steve feels like my ears are turning into cheese grating XD

Ada sounds like she is a bored actress reading a script with no context or interest.

Steve sucks, but at least he sounds like a character. XD 

I would rank both of them pretty dang low, though.