Spooktober Gaming

• 2 weeks later...

Been playing Bloodstained Curse of the Moon;

Longstory short, after Konami mistreated him, the "papa" of Castlevania IGA decided to make his own spiritual successor, Bloodstained Ritual of the Moon; in the vein of Symphonyof the Night. He did it on kickstarter, and one of the stretch goals was an entire prequel game, made to play like the "classicvania's of the series" (before the games became open, they were linear platformers), and even got one of the OG sprite designers involved.  

Heard good things about Ritual but wanted to play the prequels first; they amazingly translated the game well. Plays like a NES platformer (and is hard as balls), and the sequel to Castlevania Curse of Darkness which we never got. And they look awesome

1lNmpYDowUvKanD0lOJdorM2.jpg

e49606e4-7400-4497-810e-bd33ac758f11.png

64a3cdca-e468-44c5-a1de-bca26a9530d3.png

Each character plays differently too. 

• Like 1

This time I played through Infernax.

capsule_616x353.jpg?t=1681822186

In contrast to the above, it was designed to be a homage to Simon's Quest (The prototype to Metroidvania and honestly the first open world game. Very experimental...very flawed) 

You play as a Lord coming back from the Crusades, only to see your land beset by Demons. There's an overworld that can be transversed that lead to dungeons; five main "strongholds whose infernal dukes need to be killed to unlock the satanic seal to the breach head of the demonic invasion. In between there's villages, sidequests, puzzles, secrets (there's a day and night cycle that remixes the areas and adds bosses and secrets you can only find at night) encounters and all kinds of stuff. The art style is gloriously gothic. 

infernax_header.jpg

Infernax-review.jpg

c05e4f90fbf598aa758aa266acf49f8a7be0e857

c08ff71ec6cf8072af952e1b72bf3e2118137c79

Coolest part through is it has a really complex morality system, which can effect your character, your spells, the gameworld, and the late-game really heavily. There's a bunch of different endings depending on how you play,

Hfjseish3mnC0JJVDKzz7kbf.jpg?width=900

Got the Ultimate Good ending on my first playthrough! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Good Doctor said:

Been replaying RE2 Remake. Forgot how damn early Mr. X shows up in the B scenarios. Makes the game tense as hell. XD 

Just beat the first Birkin fight and met Ada. I miss her VA from this game.

They change a lot of the small details too; like Marvin's a zombie already and the character dosen't know who the fuck he is XD

@BigBossBalrog Just got through the police station on my Leon replay. It’s crazy how good a job this game does of maintaining the horror even when you’ve played it quite a lot. The zombies never stop being scary.

Also, I completely forgot that Leon’s campaign has a segment where you have to run from a-

-giant mutant alligator! XD 

Cool concept, and it made for a badass "action movie" sequence. But it’s a shame there wasn’t more gameplay involved with such a cool enemy. Imagine if they thing had been to the sewers what Mr. X is to RCPD, stalking the tunnels and chasing you through the water.

• Like 1

@BigBossBalrog Just got through the police station on my Leon replay. It’s crazy how good a job this game does of maintaining the horror even when you’ve played it quite a lot. The zombies never stop being scary.

Also, I completely forgot that Leon’s campaign has a segment where you have to run from a-

Reveal hidden contents

-giant mutant alligator! XD 

Cool concept, and it made for a badass "action movie" sequence. But it’s a shame there wasn’t more gameplay involved with such a cool enemy. Imagine if they thing had been to the sewers what Mr. X is to RCPD, stalking the tunnels and chasing you through the water.

The RNG system for whether you can one shot the zombie or not keeps it fresh. One of the few games that accurately portrays how bullet-spongey they should be. 

And yeah in the original it was more of a boss fight; (it was so still a linear chase, but you had to time your shots to take it down or do a puzzle instead of the glorified QTE it is in the remake. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Not sure I agree with that. If brain death kills them then a headshot should generally be enough. They’d just be bullet spongey if hit everywhere else. 

Well there's two types of headshots which I like; one that deals more damage but it isn't guaranteed to put it down, and the other that has a nice "clunk" and mini explosion that represents you getting the brain. 

Finished the playthrough. 

If I have one critique of this game, it’s that Leon and Claire’s stories don’t intertwine nearly as much as they should. The ending where they escape together feels kinda sudden and jarring because you spend 99% of the playthrough with no clue at all where the other is, or even thinking about them.

Though it does lead one of the most unintentionally funny moments in the game. XD 

Leon:  "Who’s this?"

Claire:  "This is Sherry."

Leon:  "Ok."

:rofl: 

• Haha 1

Finished the playthrough. 

Hide contents

If I have one critique of this game, it’s that Leon and Claire’s stories don’t intertwine nearly as much as they should. The ending where they escape together feels kinda sudden and jarring because you spend 99% of the playthrough with no clue at all where the other is, or even thinking about them.

Though it does lead one of the most unintentionally funny moments in the game. XD 

Leon:  "Who’s this?"

Claire:  "This is Sherry."

Leon:  "Ok."

:rofl: 

Now finish Remake 4 XD

• Haha 1

@BigBossBalrog Anyone who says RE4R is an action game but not horror must’ve not made it to the Regeneradors. Scariest part of the original; scariest part here. Hell, it might even be scarier than the greenhouse in 2. 

"I'm the real fool." Even the Gannodoes are terrified of them XD

4 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Things are one of the most terrifying enemies in all of Resident Evil. Their area is so stressful. 

Perfectly implemented concept to gameplay enemey. Completley unique with a gimmick that's still very dangerous and non-trivial. 

• Like 1

https://www.gematsu.com/2024/01/resident-evil-4-remake-sales-top-6-48-million

Capcom updated Sales for the series. 

4 REMAKE is at 6.5 (and is the fastest selling in the series. On the verge to catch up to the others much quicker.) 

Village is 9.4 Million overall copies sold

2 REMAKE is at 13.6 million.

3 REMAKE is at 8.4 Million. 

2 of course is continuing because it's a legit amazing zombie game. Really glad to see such massive success. Village is lowkey becoming a sales gargantuan; once more a high quality game. I hope Capcom's takeaway is that experimentation works (like the baby in the basement, and the gothic horror setting). 

Considering how low Remake 3's budget was, I'm sure Capcom is very pleased with those sales XD

• Like 1