Spooktober Gaming

Just now, The Good Doctor said:

Interesting that the remakes are gaining on/surpassing even the mainline titles. Glad to see it because it probably means we’ll get more of them. I really want to see Code Veronica.

I mean Resident Evil 7 is at 13 million, and Village is practically at 10. With both branches doing so well, I don't think Capcom is viewing them as being in competition XD 

3 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

I mean Resident Evil 7 is at 13 million, and Village is practically at 10. With both branches doing so well, I don't think Capcom is viewing them as being in competition XD 

Not what I meant. But I’d normally expect mainlines to outperform remakes by far, so the fact that this is not the case bodes well for our chances of getting more remakes of similar quality.

Mainlines were always going to make lots of money, and we were always gonna get more of them, so I wasn’t as worried about that. 

18 hours ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Okay wow. So I played it. And I have super mixed feelings about it. 

In terms of production, it's pretty great. They got the OG Silent Hill artist and composer involved, so it looks and feels like Silent Hill. You're trapped in an "otherworld" version of an apartment complex, belonging to a German city that's pretty much economically dead, and the decaying clutter/atmosphere (and yes fog) is fucking great.

Storywise....wow. So there's about TWENTY FUCKING content warnings that happen all the time warning the player about dark themes. And yeah it has them (Self-loathing, self-harm, suicide, bullying)...and presents them in a very ham-fisted. The MC is a teenage girl, and the story...is about how social media is beginning to affect the youth in negative ways. It's a typical teenage high school drama story. And it gets reallllly stupid at time. (During one sequence, she gets chased by angry TEXT MESSAGES telling her "NO SEXY PICS, NO LIKES".) And the MC has one of the most edgy backstories EVER. (Her mother killed her brother as a baby by stuffing him into a refrigerator) 

WCCFsilenthillsakurademo1.jpg

So yeah, while I think there's merit to the project, this is really not what I was hoping to be the revitalization  the franchise needed. I'm starting to think Silent Hill was a product of it's time and can never be replicated again....

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, BigBossBalrog said:

I'm starting to think Silent Hill was a product of its time and can never be replicated again....

I don’t think so. It’s just that heavy psychological horror is very difficult to write, let alone build good mechanics around, and frankly most horror studios couldn’t do it well if they tried. So they stick to slashers, jumps scares, and such.

I can only think of a few major studios at the moment that I’d bet on actually making good psychological horror, but none of them are actual horror devs. XD 

9 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

During one sequence, she gets chased by angry TEXT MESSAGES telling her "NO SEXY PICS, NO LIKES".

Sounds hilarious. XD 

I can only think of a few major studios at the moment that I’d bet on actually making good psychological horror, but none of them are actual horror devs. XD 

Scratch that. Ninja Theory pulled it off with Hellblade, and even brought some legitimate innovations to the genre in doing so. But they were one in a million in that regard. 

3 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

And I know, mentally health awareness is good. I'm glad they have something at this like the start, but they have it pop up constantly. 

a6e72950_o.thumb.png.e71124602e10b551283e3740f0e930ba.png

That’s very nice, but I want a developer who has the balls to say "If you are at risk of suicide or self-harm… no refunds."

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I don’t think so. It’s just that heavy psychological horror is very difficult to write, let alone build good mechanics around, and frankly most horror studios couldn’t do it well if they tried. So they stick to slashers, jumps scares, and such.

Sounds hilarious. XD 

Well the way team Silent did it was focus on the puzzle, and have the characters be schmucks who can't handle weapons, so it justifies the combat being an akward jank fest. But yeah, I never saw anyone praise the series for it's gameplay. Maybe it was just the right combination of good writers and dev talent. 

2 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Scratch that. Ninja Theory pulled it off with Hellblade, and even brought some legitimate innovations to the genre in doing so. But they were one in a million in that regard. 

Like lying to your audience XD

Guess I’m not aware of this reference. I was talking about their unique audio-recording techniques for the voices in Senua’s head, and how that was leveraged as part of the gameplay. 

The game tells you it'll delete your save file permeantly if you die too many times  XD It dosen't. 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Oh and fuck me, Silent Hill 2 looks rough. It's like the franchise is cursed or something

The music choice is a really bad fit for portraying the tone of Silent Hill 2, but I didn’t see anything in the actual footage that bothered me.

Graphics ain’t as good as RE, but that’s true of most games. And this is just a brief "see where we’re at" showcase, not a trailer for the final product, so I reckon there’s still a lot of polishing to be done.

9 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

It pissed off alot of people XD I felt they should have made it real 

Eh. I think that forced "restart game on death" mechanics are usually pretty tedious. It’s an easy game, but I’d probably quit playing altogether if I lost 9 hours of progress because I made a mistake or my controller died and some boss killed me. 

1 minute ago, The Good Doctor said:

The music choice is a really bad fit for portraying the tone of Silent Hill 2, but I didn’t see anything in the actual footage that bothered me.

Graphics ain’t as good as RE, but that’s true of most games. And this is just a brief "see where we’re at" showcase, not a trailer for the final product, so I reckon there’s still a lot of polishing to be done.

It just looks stiff; I know I just talked about Silent Hill's janky combat, but those animations look really bad from a quality perspective. XD

Just now, BigBossBalrog said:

It just looks stiff; I know I just talked about Silent Hill's janky combat, but those animations look really bad from a quality perspective. XD

Game is probably not even gonna be a 2024 release, so I wouldn’t take that as a sign of the IP being cursed. 

Game is probably not even gonna be a 2024 release, so I wouldn’t take that as a sign of the IP being cursed. 

So let's take instead that the last game was in 2012, and it's much anticipated reboot was wiped off the face of the earth XD

• Haha 1