Roleplayer’s Off Topic Thread #15

To battle!  

8 members have voted

1. 1. You're to hold a bridge against an enemy army. What do you shout at them?

• You shall not pass!
    • I fart in your general direction! Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!
    • Ni! Ni! Ni!

9 minutes ago, Celan said:

I didn't see this at all in his statement. He said people aren't free. Besides the fact that you can be converted from "not free" to "really not free" at any moment, for any reason.

They’re not free because upsetting the Legion can get you killed in a heartbeat, and the Legion is easy to upset. 

“People who keep their mouths shut, go about their business, and nod at the rare requests the Legion makes of them -- they can live very well. Many of them don't care at all that they don't have a say in what happens around them (mostly because they felt they never had a say in it before the Legion came, anyway.”

That’s not a free life at all, and we can agree that it’s a really bad one. But it’s not the same as what we see for the actual slaves.

20 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

That's funny coming from the dude that barked at her when you thought she was being dismissive to the series XD

But I agree, since most of us here are big Souls fans (Me, you, Doc, Witch, Czar), it's good to have a separate place to chat about it.

Things change, lol. Now I’m kinda tired of hearing about it.

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

1 minute ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Things change, lol. Now I’m kinda tired of hearing about it.

Same here. We’ve covered everything there is. lol Not gonna lie, that’s partly why I can’t wait for you to play Bloodborne. XD You’ll probably pick a lot of stuff up quicker than I did, being such a big HPL fan. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Celan said:

I didn't see this at all in his statement. He said people aren't free. Besides the fact that you can be converted from "not free" to "really not free" at any moment, for any reason.

Exactly. Not to mention the only difference between the wishy washy statement posted from Sawyer and what we see is that there’s none of these “not slaves not civilians” in the game.

The tribals we see are treated exactly the same.

24 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Neither of the things we are saying is unrealistic and what you suggest isn’t portrayed in the game. We don’t see Legion lands. Just a few military camps. It’s clear from Sawyer, Raul, and that merchant guy that the people living in their territory don’t live remotely like the actual slaves do.

“Not slaves but not citizens” doesn’t mean they’re somewhere in-between. It means that they’re not slaves, but the Legion is an army not a government, so it doesn’t have citizens. They’re just people who happen to live on the land that they occupy.

And the point of Ulysses’ character isn’t to show us why every choice will fail. It’s to point out the flaws and make us think about how to overcome them. He can be convinced that the Legion will not crumble after spending years believing the opposite, so his agreement with your point at the start of Lonesome Road doesn’t mean much.

You keep saying things like this like I’m supporting the Legion. I’m not.

The legion soldiers are the ones running things at home. I highly doubt they’re suddenly balls of sunshine at home when all they know is enforcement.

And of course we can convince him, it’s the player character. His conclusion upon seeing lands we did not is it will fail. That’s telling.

and “not slaves but not civilians” means exactly that. In fact Sawyers description made it pretty dang clear in the middle is exactly what they are.

Pass.

5 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Same here. We’ve covered everything there is. lol Not gonna lie, that’s partly why I can’t wait for you to play Bloodborne. XD You’ll probably pick a lot of stuff up quicker than I did, being such a big HPL fan. 

If you thought Dark Souls 3 was great, you haven't seen fucking anything yet XD

1 hour ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Exactly. Not to mention the only difference between the wishy washy statement posted from Sawyer and what we see is that there’s none of these “not slaves not civilians” in the game.

The tribals we see are treated exactly the same.

Yes there are. The merchant is one and Raul hints at more. But of course there aren’t many, the game isn’t set in Legion lands.

The legion soldiers are the ones running things at home. I highly doubt they’re suddenly balls of sunshine at home when all they know is enforcement.

I feel like half of what I’m saying is just getting ignored. How do you get “balls of sunshine” from me saying that they’ll kill people who upset them?

You can project what you think is happening out there all you want, but when the inventor of the faction claims that the people out there live better lives than the slaves in their war camps, that’s simply the way it is. He wasn’t wishy washy about that. 

and “not slaves but not civilians” means exactly that. In fact Sawyers description made it pretty dang clear in the middle is exactly what they are.

The Courier is also not a slave but not a citizen. So are the people of the Mojave. And Elder Lyons on the far side of the country. Them not being those things doesn’t mean that they’re “in the middle”. It means that they’re neither. The Legion doesn’t have citizens because it’s not a nation. You’re either a Legion slave or your not one.

And of course we can convince him, it’s the player character. His conclusion upon seeing lands we did not is it will fail. That’s telling.

No it’s not. Because it’s not his final conclusion. By your logic, the Courier, House, and the NCR are also absolutely gonna fail.

Edit. I take this last part back, actually. It is telling. But it leaves out an important detail that indicates the opposites. 

9 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

The final season of the Walking Dead TellTale game came out last week. I don’t know if any of y’all have been keeping up but I’m stoked to play it soon. If anyone plans to, it’d be a fun one to talk about every month or so two as they release new episodes. 

OH I forgot about that :read: I think I might wait till there all released and binge play them. Still waiting for GoT Season two and Wolf Among Us Season 2...

I kind of got burned out on the Telltale games. If anything I would probably try Divinity Original Sin, since I didn't like Pillars 2 that much so the replay value is cut down. More likely I will just retire from vidya for a good while.

Did the elder vampire missions in Blood and Wine, very cool, though it required me breaking character as I've played Geralt.

When he says he doesn't make deals with monsters.

However later he gives a better reason, that he's protecting Regis. I think in the end it's obvious too that Dettlaff is like a wild animal in a busy town. They might not kill the first person they see, but he was probably not going to be able to change. I still find him very sympathetic. And good looking. XD

Syanna, now I have no sympathy for her. She was a bad seed. Maybe there was something to the prophecy.

But now I have to reload and do the other option because apparently you can't keep Annarietta alive in this ending? I reloaded half a dozen times trying to save her.

I think I’m in the minority who really liked season 3 even though Clementine wasn’t the main character. It still delivered enough of her story to satisfy me and set things up for the finale season.

GoT started strong but it kinda fell apart for me as it went. I liked the original characters but the ones from the show like Tyrion, Dany, and especially Ramsay really started to get on my nerves.

Can’t wait for The Wolf Among Us. But Tales from the Borderlands is the king. 

5 minutes ago, Celan said:

I kind of got burned out on the Telltale games. If anything I would probably try Divinity Original Sin, since I didn't like Pillars 2 that much so the replay value is cut down. More likely I will just retire from vidya for a good while.

Did the elder vampire missions in Blood and Wine, very cool, though it required me breaking character as I've played Geralt.

Reveal hidden contents

However later he gives a better reason, that he's protecting Regis. I think in the end it's obvious too that Dettlaff is like a wild animal in a busy town. They might not kill the first person they see, but he was probably not going to be able to change. I still find him very sympathetic. And good looking. XD

Syanna, now I have no sympathy for her. She was a bad seed. Maybe there was something to the prophecy.

But now I have to reload and do the other option because apparently you can't keep Annarietta alive in this ending? I reloaded half a dozen times trying to save her.

Or you could try Dank Souls...joking XD

2 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

GoT started strong but it kinda fell apart for me as it went. I liked the original characters but the ones from the show like Tyrion, Dany, and especially Ramsay really started to get on my nerves.

But...but the way it ended! I need to know what happens :cry: I need to exterminate House Whitehill...

1 minute ago, The Good Doctor said:

If House Whitehill doesn’t get obliterated in season 2, I’m never buying another TellTale game. 

Reveal hidden contents

Until we get Tales from the Borderlands 2. XD 

I hate those cunts so much deciding who to kill at the end was harder then the choice at the end at episode 4 XD Holy fuck i've never hated anyone more then that fat bastard and his son.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Celan said:

Reveal hidden contents

Not gonna lie, I liked that part of the ending too. It was so dark and shocking, but also felt very fitting to me. 

But then again, I am quite the dick so that’s probably to be expected.

That and while you can play it single player, I had a lot more fun with co op. That’s what it’s intended for.

Its the difference between playing with yourself like that loser you work with and playing tabletop games with friends XD

Now if you do want to try it with someone, I’m game. It’s not like borderlands where we gotta try super hard to stay the same level, and it keeps separate playing sessions saved.

Think about it.