Roleplayer’s Off Topic Thread #15

To battle!  

8 members have voted

1. 1. You're to hold a bridge against an enemy army. What do you shout at them?

• You shall not pass!
    • I fart in your general direction! Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!
    • Ni! Ni! Ni!

As for killing her, I doubt she’s as strong as Detlaff, Detlaff was especially animalistic and literally a friggin beast. 

I wont use the trailer as an example since she was just a Bruxa back then but I don’t think Geralt would have much trouble with her personally. The only trouble would be perma killing her, which as doc said, he could still put her out of commission for a very long time.

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

18 minutes ago, Celan said:

With Regis. And involving him in another kinslaying is trouble he doesn't need. 

Geralt has help from Regis at points, yes, but the mere fact that he was able to face Detlaff and win on his own while Regis was inacapcitated is proof that he is capable of besting higher vampires. 

When Regis got defeated by a mortal back in the day, it took decades for him to regenerate. That would be a start.

7 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Im not frowning on your decision, I think the ending where (insert spoiler) but I’m never gonna see it myself, lol.

Personally, I think it’s one of the best written and most emotional endings, but the least fitting. Because it only happens if Geralt is very overbearing to Ciri and/or takes coin for finding her. I kinda wish it was possible to force that ending without having him act somewhat out of character.

And it also doesn’t make a lot of sense with Blood and Wine taking place later down the line either. Disregarding the implication that Geralt dies in the cabin, he’s also way too cheerful in B&W considering what’s happened.

50 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Geralt has help from Regis at points, yes, but the mere fact that he was able to face Detlaff and win on his own while Regis was inacapcitated is proof that he is capable of besting higher vampires. 

When Regis got defeated by a mortal back in the day, it took decades for him to regenerate. That would be a start.

Wonder what would happen if Geralt actually did consume her after dicing her up like in that song....

1 hour ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Than the chick that eats kids....

Ok Maggie XD 

Sure, but I think it says a lot that this path unless you change your mind gives him reason to hunt her down.

Im not frowning on your decision, I think the ending where (insert spoiler) but I’m never gonna see it myself, lol.

Reveal hidden contents

geralt dies possibly and Ciri dies is the most fitting.

Unlike Syanna, Orianna doesn't cause the deaths of any children. She is harming them though, so I'm not saying she's "good" or that she doesn't deserve to die.

The trailer gives his reason- he has a contract.

As for killing her, I doubt she’s as strong as Detlaff*, Detlaff was especially animalistic and literally a friggin beast. 

I wont use the trailer as an example since she was just a Bruxa back then but I don’t think Geralt would have much trouble with her personally. The only trouble would be perma killing her, which as doc said, he could still put her out of commission for a very long time.

*Evidence needed

So he risks his life, potentially Regis' life, to gain a few years on her? Mmkay.

And Regis didn’t aid during the whole fight. He was down for the count for most of it.

He took care of the first half and the final. Dettlaff was visibly healing already, up to that point.

5 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

If a ragtag team or four relatively ordinary people can handle the DD, Geralt probably can too.

The actual DD is actually tackled, once they reach Level Six, which means there "legends" at this point XD Experienced veterans covered head to toe in expensive armor, weapons, and magical items. And when we say "relative", we mean relative, cause there all fucking crazy XD A team of crazy, highly skilled dungeon crawlers.

I think the greatest advantage Geralt would have is he's perfectly sane compared to the rest XD

1 hour ago, The Good Doctor said:

That was no ordinary mortal. He was a powerful sorcerer who defeated both Geralt and Yennefer until Regis intervened.

3 minutes ago, Celan said:

So she got a contract on her. That doesn’t mean Geralt had no personal stake. Besides, if CDPR really didn’t want us to think about the trailer anymore after reimagining the character, they wouldn’t have changed the title screen to Geralt meditating outside of Orianna’s hideout with her singing the same song in the background.

6 minutes ago, Celan said:

So he risks his life, potentially Regis' life, to gain a few years on her? Mmkay.

He risks his life for a living. His very first contract in the books was stated to be so dangerous that several other witchers had died attempting it already, and others outright refused to take it. In your preferred Hearts of Stone ending, he risks his very soul to save a brigand from a much more dangerous monster than Orianna.

Putting a child-hurting monster in the ground for decades or possibly longer is a worthwhile thing. And if he’s endangering Regis’ life, then it won’t be to gain a few years. It’ll be to kill her permanently.

11 minutes ago, Celan said:

He took care of the first half and the final. Dettlaff was visibly healing already, up to that point.

The fight proves that they are not so considerably stronger than Geralt that it cannot be done. If she was more akin to the Unseen Elder and Geralt had no chance, then yeah it would be a bad move. But Geralt faired we enough against Detlaff (on two occasions) to reasonably assume that he isn’t far below their level. 

7 minutes ago, Celan said:

That was no ordinary mortal. He was a powerful sorcerer who defeated both Geralt and Yennefer until Regis intervened.

Geralt was way less skilled back then than he is by the end of Witcher 3. Book Geralt couldn’t have handled half the shit he does alone by the end of the game.

Though point in bringing up Regis is that it’s proof that defeating a higher vampire as a mortal can leave them out for the count long enough to make a difference. If Geralt beats Orianna and is thorough, it won’t be thirty minutes and then she’s back. It could take her decades to recover, and that’s assuming he doesn’t find a way to dispose of her or imprison her during that time.

8 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Hide contents

So she got a contract on her. That doesn’t mean Geralt had no personal stake. Besides, if CDPR really didn’t want us to think about the trailer anymore after reimagining the character, they wouldn’t have changed the title screen to Geralt meditating outside of Orianna’s hideout with her singing the same song in the background.

He risks his life for a living. His very first contract in the books was stated to be so dangerous that several other witchers had died attempting it already, and others outright refused to take it. In your preferred Hearts of Stone ending, he risks his very soul to save a brigand from a much more dangerous monster than Orianna.

Putting a child-hurting monster in the ground for decades or possibly longer is a worthwhile thing. And if he’s endangering Regis’ life, then it won’t be to gain a few years. It’ll be to kill her permanently.

The fight proves that they are not so considerably stronger than Geralt that it cannot be done. If she was more akin to the Unseen Elder and Geralt had no chance, then yeah it would be a bad move. But Geralt faired we enough against Detlaff (on two occasions) to reasonably assume that he isn’t far below their level. 

I was addressing the Unseen path gave him a reason to hunt her.

He risks his soul to defeat O'Dimm who would likely never leave him alone. I don't do it for Olgierd.

She's not killing children. The child himself makes an argument for why she shouldn't be harmed. There's a reason, yeah, just not enough to take on one of the most dangerous entities in the world- IMO.

Dettlaff isn't even annoyed in the first fight. In the second, he's already healing visibly when Regis intervenes.

4 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Geralt was way less skilled back then than he is by the end of Witcher 3. Book Geralt couldn’t have handled half the shit he does alone by the end of the game.

Though point in bringing up Regis is that it’s proof that defeating a higher vampire as a mortal can leave them out for the count long enough to make a difference. If Geralt beats Orianna and is thorough, it won’t be thirty minutes and then she’s back. It could take her decades to recover, and that’s assuming he doesn’t find a way to dispose of her or imprison her during that time.

He's not more skilled, I don't buy that. The game exaggerates his skills for PC-hero purposes, maybe. Maybe they were originally going to have a post-MQ contract for Orianna.

And, difference for what? Good chance he gets killed, she's out for what is for her the blink of an eye? Maybe he'd do it, but I also think he could very well go about his semi-retirement and decide it's not a fight worth pursuing.

39 minutes ago, Celan said:
  Hide contents

Unlike Syanna, Orianna doesn't cause the deaths of any children. She is harming them though, so I'm not saying she's "good" or that she doesn't deserve to die.

*Evidence needed

Hide contents

Evidence needed for what? That Detlaff was especially animalistic?

Regis said so himself so there you go, plus we actually see it.

And she’s only responsible indirectly, it’s not like she planned for Detlaff to lose his shit. Obviously she wasn’t that concerned by the result so it’s not like I’m giving her a pass either, but no way am I putting the child muncher and manipulated above her morally.

6 minutes ago, Celan said:

She's not killing children. The child himself makes an argument for why she shouldn't be harmed. There's a reason, yeah, just not enough to take on one of the most dangerous entities in the world- IMO.

That’s like defending a pimp because one of his drugged-out prostitutes says he’s a good man. But way worse because it’s just a kid. Geralt is a consistently self-sacrificing man who protects weak people from monsters. This is a textbook example of that.

10 minutes ago, Celan said:

He's not more skilled, I don't buy that. The game exaggerates his skills for PC-hero purposes, maybe. Maybe they were originally going to have a post-MQ contract for Orianna.

Maybe the games retconned how good he was or maybe he got better, but there’s almost no question that game Geralt is more skilled than book Geralt. Even if we ignore the mechanical stuff, the feats of game Geralt are ridiculous. He beats half the leaders of the Wild Hunt on his own and a higher vampire who was even stronger than Regis. He regularly faces much stronger monsters than in the books during the main story and wins much more casually without getting badly wounded like always happens in the books.

14 minutes ago, Celan said:

And, difference for what? Good chance he gets killed, she's out for what is for her the blink of an eye? Maybe he'd do it, but I also think he could very well go about his semi-retirement and decide it's not a fight worth pursuing.

Difference for the children? It doesn’t matter if it’s a blink of an eye for her. It isn’t for her victims. 

1 minute ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Hide contents

Evidence needed for what? That Detlaff was especially animalistic?

Regis said so himself so there you go, plus we actually see it.

And she’s only responsible indirectly, it’s not like she planned for Detlaff to lose his shit. Obviously she wasn’t that concerned by the result so it’s not like I’m giving her a pass either, but no way am I putting the child muncher and manipulated above her morally.

That Orianna is weaker.

To terrorize and destabilize all Beauclair was precisely her plan.

1 minute ago, Celan said:

Hide contents

That Orianna is weaker.

To terrorize and destabilize all Beauclair was precisely her plan.

i didn’t say that was factual, I stated that as an opinion tho if we do count the trailer, she most certainly is.

I will assume tho that she gets a power up or something since they obviously changed the higher vamp lore a bit but not all of them fight as Detlaff does.

Terrorize ain’t the same as wiping out.

Just now, The Good Doctor said:

Hide contents

That’s like defending a pimp because one of his drugged-out prostitutes says he’s a good man. But way worse because it’s just a kid. Geralt is a consistently self-sacrificing man who protects weak people from monsters. This is a textbook example of that.

Maybe the games retconned how good he was or maybe he got better, but there’s almost no question that game Geralt is more skilled than book Geralt. Even if we ignore the mechanical stuff, the feats of game Geralt are ridiculous. He beats half the leaders of the Wild Hunt on his own and a higher vampire who was even stronger than Regis. He regularly faces much stronger monsters than in the books during the main story and wins much more casually without getting badly wounded like always happens in the books.

Difference for the children? It doesn’t matter if it’s a blink of an eye for her. It isn’t for her victims. 

He DOESN'T defeat Dettlaff, not alone. Sure, Regis and him together might take her down. Geralt alone....not so much.

I'm not defending her.

Maybe to the kids a life of starvation isn't better. One of them says that very thing.

1 minute ago, Celan said:

Hide contents

He DOESN'T defeat Dettlaff, not alone. Sure, Regis and him together might take her down. Geralt alone....not so much.

I'm not defending her.

Maybe to the kids a life of starvation isn't better. One of them says that very thing.

Regis was barely in that fight, Geralt did beat him alone, and won every encounter against him.

1 minute ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Hide contents

i didn’t say that was factual, I stated that as an opinion tho if we do count the trailer, she most certainly is.

I will assume tho that she gets a power up or something since they obviously changed the higher vamp lore a bit but not all of them fight as Detlaff does.

Terrorize ain’t the same as wiping out.

All one of them that you've seen, besides Regis?

You have literally no idea how she fights, since in the trailer she's only a bruxa.

Orianna's not wiping anyone out, either. Now you're just mixing arguments.

2 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Hide contents

Regis was barely in that fight, Geralt did beat him alone, and won every encounter against him.

Judging from how fast he was healing, in mere minutes Dettlaff would have been back up if not for Regis. If not for game purposes, it was dumb to even try to fight him alone instead of digging Regis out to help. But of course the player has to be the active agent.

Besides, I think Dettlaff wanted to die, otherwise he would have misted out of there, and there's no reason why Orianna wouldn't do the same.