Roleplayer’s Off Topic Thread #15

To battle!  

8 members have voted

1. 1. You're to hold a bridge against an enemy army. What do you shout at them?

• You shall not pass!
    • I fart in your general direction! Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!
    • Ni! Ni! Ni!

22 minutes ago, Witchking of Angmar said:

I'm pretty sure the Legion wont touch "regular citizens" unless they break the law. Which as far as we see is just don't deal in drugs or go against the Legion. Ironically most traders even find more freedom in Legion lands due to the safety. 

Who are regular citizens?  Anyone they decide is 'degenerate' certainly doesn’t qualify. Ask Vulpes about that.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Granted it’s only one and we haven’t seen much of their lands. But I also haven’t seen anything suggest women benefit from this aside from not being killed

They probably benefit the same way that men do. The game implies and Sawyer said that communities who keep their heads down in Legion lands are generally left alone. They don’t literally enslave everyone they encounter. Goodsprings and Primm are two examples.

I was talking women, not every last person. Until they give more info all I’ve seen of them thus far is with all females as slaves and those douche cosplayers they call soldiers.

I’ll take my chances with my guns and boots on the ground. 

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

If there are “regular citizens”, they sound like those who are born from the assimilated men and the women they take. Because everyone else has been said to either be killed, taken as soldiers, or made into incubators if fertile.

5 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

If there are “regular citizens”, they sound like those who are born from the assimilated men and the women they take. Because everyone else has been said to either be killed, taken as soldiers, or made into incubators if fertile.

I don't think the Legion would want to give up anyone born into the Legion because they are perfect candidates for indoctrination. "Regular citizens" would more likely be the more civilized towns and villages that are able to trade with each other and the Legion. Trade seems to still be valued within Legion territory. 

Power corrupts, absolute power... is a whole lot of fun!

8 minutes ago, Witchking of Angmar said:

I don't think the Legion would want to give up anyone born into the Legion because they are perfect candidates for indoctrination. "Regular citizens" would more likely be the more civilized towns and villages that are able to trade with each other and the Legion. Trade seems to still be valued within Legion territory. 

The Caananites were pretty damn civilized.

And I wonder what civilized towns and villages would give in to the legion without a fight because that’s likely what the caananites did to get killed. 

These are tribals supposedly so barbaric that they can’t keep themselves afloat without Caesar holding it all together. 

How reasonable do you really think they are. I bet the ones they trade with are from lands they at the moment cannot take and simply allow them in their lands so that they can spread the word about “safety”.

Just now, ColonelKillaBee said:

And with that mentality you think they’re gonna let “profligate” towns be citizens?

Yes, because most towns wont shelter someone Caesar himself really wants dead. Graham is a really special scenario. And if they don't decide to resist Legion rule there's not much point to fight them when you can trade with them. 

Just now, Witchking of Angmar said:

Yes, because most towns wont shelter someone Caesar himself really wants dead. Graham is a really special scenario. And if they don't decide to resist Legion rule there's not much point to fight them when you can trade with them. 

Most towns also do something the legion considers “weak” and slays for.

They emulate Rome but they are not Romans. Ulysses said it himself, even if they get Vegas, they thrive off of conquering others. It’s all they know how to do.

Theyll go all the way to the west coast, run out of things to conquer, then collapse on themselves because they do not know how to be self sustaining. That’s Ulysses’ whole reason for losing faith in the legion in the first place.

7 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

More likely they kill and scare other towns into submission.

Sorry I just don’t buy these people know how to make civilized arrangements with other people unless those people can fight back like in the case of House and New Vegas.

They certainly scare towns into submission. But if they submit without resistance, why kill? 

From what Caesar says about testing the strength of the Legion and wanting everything to be under Legion flag, I get the sense that they are more likely to come to civilized agreements with people who submit than people who can fight back. A point of the Legion is to crush anyone that can and will fight them. 

32 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

They emulate Rome but they are not Romans. Ulysses said it himself, even if they get Vegas, they thrive off of conquering others. It’s all they know how to do.

Theyll go all the way to the west coast, run out of things to conquer, then collapse on themselves because they do not know how to be self sustaining. That’s Ulysses’ whole reason for losing faith in the legion in the first place.

I believe Caeser himself said something akin to this, that he used Rome as a base to model his perfect army, but it isn't at all a replica, and is quite distinctive on it's own. Has the conquering part down, but there quite inept at the Empire building aspect of it, not nearly as good administration seemingly. 

1 hour ago, Witchking of Angmar said:

They certainly scare towns into submission. But if they submit without resistance, why kill? 

From what Caesar says about testing the strength of the Legion and wanting everything to be under Legion flag, I get the sense that they are more likely to come to civilized agreements with people who submit than people who can fight back. A point of the Legion is to crush anyone that can and will fight them. 

All of Nipton was destroyed because they were deemed degenerate. Seems like they have a loose idea of who is worthy of citizenship. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Most towns also do something the legion considers “weak” and slays for.

The Legion doesn’t slay people for being weak. They kill and enslave tribals and people who oppose them. Nipton was destroyed as a message for the NCR and chosen because the mayor invited them in on a scheme to murder NCR soldiers who were there on leave.

But don’t take my word for it. Here is JE Sawyer’s:

“The additional Legion locations would have had more traveling non-Legion residents of Legion territories. The Fort and Cottonwood Cove made sense as heavy military outposts where the vast majority of the population consisted of soldiers and slaves. The other locations would have had more "civilians". It's not accurate to think of them as citizens of the Legion (the Legion is purely military), but as non-tribal people who live in areas under Legion control.

While Caesar intentionally enslaves NCR and Mojave residents in the war zone, most of the enslavement that happens in the east happens to tribals. As Raul indicates, there are non-tribal communities that came under Legion control a long time ago. The additional locations would have shown what life is like for those people.

The general tone would have been what you would expect from life under a stable military dictatorship facing no internal resistance: the majority of people enjoy safe and productive lives (more than they had prior to the Legion's arrival) but have no freedoms, rights, or say in what happens in their communities. Water and power flow consistently, food is adequate, travel is safe, and occasionally someone steps afoul of a legionary and gets his or her head cut off. If the Legion tells someone to do something, they only ask once -- even if that means an entire community has to pick up and move fifty miles away. Corruption within the Legion is rare and Caesar deals with it harshly (even by Legion standards).

In short, residents of Legion territories aren't really citizens and they aren't slaves, but they're also not free. People who keep their mouths shut, go about their business, and nod at the rare requests the Legion makes of them -- they can live very well. Many of them don't care at all that they don't have a say in what happens around them (mostly because they felt they never had a say in it before the Legion came, anyway.”

https://archive.is/Jhbxk

2 hours ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

The Legion don’t emulate Rome. They emulate Julius Caesar’s forces before they conquered Rome. They’re an army, not really a nation.

Caesar sees Vegas as his Rome, and the Legion as a means to attaining it. Until then, he doesn’t have an Empire or citizens. Just an army of slaves.

“The general tone would have been what you would expect from life under a stable military dictatorship facing no internal resistance: the majority of people enjoy safe and productive lives (more than they had prior to the Legion's arrival) but have no freedoms, rights, or say in what happens in their communities. Water and power flow consistently, food is adequate, travel is safe, and occasionally someone steps afoul of a legionary and gets his or her head cut off. If the Legion tells someone to do something, they only ask once -- even if that means an entire community has to pick up and move fifty miles away. Corruption within the Legion is rare and Caesar deals with it harshly (even by Legion standards).

In short, residents of Legion territories aren't really citizens and they aren't slaves, but they're also not free. “

Yea sorry but these people are one stones toss away from slavery. A legionnaire can request what they want of you and you can’t say shit,

Pass. Plus as he said, it only goes for those not considered tribals, in which case you stand no chance.

2 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

The Legion don’t emulate Rome. They emulate Julius Caesar’s forces before they conquered Rome. They’re an army, not really a nation.

Caesar sees Vegas as his Rome, and the Legion as a means to attaining it. Until then, he doesn’t have an Empire or citizens. Just an army of slaves.

That’s worse, lol. And still shows my point