Roleplayer’s Off Topic Thread #15

To battle!  

8 members have voted

1. 1. You're to hold a bridge against an enemy army. What do you shout at them?

• You shall not pass!
    • I fart in your general direction! Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!
    • Ni! Ni! Ni!

18 minutes ago, Celan said:

Hide contents

All one of them that you've seen, besides Regis?

You have literally no idea how she fights, since in the trailer she's only a bruxa.

Orianna's not wiping anyone out, either. Now you're just mixing arguments.

Calm down there firstly, it’s just a discussion. I even pointed out that the higher vamp lore changed and that she was just a bruxa back then remember? Said that twice now. And I mentioned it prior before you ever saw the trailer.

Secondly, we’ve seen three, neither of the two have displayed such power and one even needs your help to track down a lowly vamp? So she can get her fix? She certainly doesn’t seem very strong, and I doubt they’d have made a nod to the trailer where he completely wrecks her ass if it weren’t gonna happen.

I will say, just because they haven’t displayed their power doesn’t mean it isn’t there, but Regis made it a point to say he was far more bestial than most.

And she possibly just didn’t want to take an eye off the kids. Still, Regis’ dialogue made it clear not every Vamp can fight like Detlaff does.

I never presented this as a fact, it’s got no more ground than your theory on why Detlaff bit the dust, and I never pretended it did.

Edited by ColonelKillaBee

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

4 minutes ago, Celan said:

Judging from how fast he was healing, in mere minutes Dettlaff would have been back up if not for Regis. If not for game purposes, it was dumb to even try to fight him alone instead of digging Regis out to help. But of course the player has to be the active agent.

Besides, I think Dettlaff wanted to die, otherwise he would have misted out of there, and there's no reason why Orianna wouldn't do the same.

You can make whatever excuses for him you like, game purposes or whatever, Geralt one on one wrecked Detlaff. Dumb or not.

And as for the child drinking thing, I’m not the one mixing arguments here, you were the one comparing terrorizing and manipulating to mass murder. 

So saying “neither is drinking children” doesn’t make any sense.

Plus, I’m not saying the duchess’s sister is better than the vamp, I’m arguing that the vamp isn’t more “morally ambiguous” as you claimed.

14 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:
  Hide contents

Calm down there firstly, it’s just a discussion. I even pointed out that the higher vamp lore changed and that she was just a bruxa back then remember? Said that twice now. And I mentioned it prior before you ever saw the trailer.

Secondly, we’ve seen three, neither of the two have displayed such power and one even needs your help to track down a lowly vamp? So she can get her fix? She certainly doesn’t seem very strong, and I doubt they’d have made a nod to the trailer where he completely wrecks her ass if it weren’t gonna happen.

I will say, just because they haven’t displayed their power doesn’t mean it isn’t there, but Regis made it a point to say he was far more bestial than most.

And she possibly just didn’t want to take an eye off the kids. Still, Regis’ dialogue made it clear not every Vamp can fight like Detlaff does.

I never presented this as a fact, it’s got no more ground than your theory on why Detlaff bit the dust, and I never pretended it did.

I'm perfectly calm. ;)

We've seen two fighting, both have enormous power- as is the canon lore about them. So you're literally pulling it out of your ass to say that she's weaker than Dettlaff, just because you haven't seen her fight as a higher vampire.

13 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

You can make whatever excuses for him you like, game purposes or whatever, Geralt one on one wrecked Detlaff. Dumb or not.

No, he didn't. 9_9

12 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:
  Hide contents

And as for the child drinking thing, I’m not the one mixing arguments here, you were the one comparing terrorizing and manipulating to mass murder. 

So saying “neither is drinking children” doesn’t make any sense.

Plus, I’m not saying the duchess’s sister is better than the vamp, I’m arguing that the vamp isn’t more “morally ambiguous” as you claimed.

Yes, she is. Syanna set about deliberately to destabilize the entire country. Orianna does no such thing.

Anyway, as usual it's going in circles now so finis.

17 minutes ago, Celan said:

Judging from how fast he was healing, in mere minutes Dettlaff would have been back up if not for Regis. 

If Regis wasn’t there, Geralt probably wouldn’t have stepped aside and let him finish things. We know for a fact that higher vamps can be put out of commision for decades if you mess them up enough.

27 minutes ago, Celan said:

Maybe to the kids a life of starvation isn't better. One of them says that very thing.

Maybe he’d have said something different if he knew that orphanages exist where they don’t get used as cattle. 

Just now, The Good Doctor said:

If Regis wasn’t there, Geralt probably wouldn’t have stepped aside and let him finish things. We know for a fact that higher vamps can be put out of commision for decades if you mess them up enough.

Maybe he’d have said something different if he knew that orphanages exist where they don’t get used as cattle. 

If Regis wasn't there, Geralt would very likely be dead, realistically. And if Dettlaff hadn't forced a fight, he wouldn't have been able to fight him at all. There's a reason higher vampires laugh at the idea that even a witcher could kill them.

We don't see any such orphanages, but probably Geralt could do something for them, true. Of course, they're all dead but one at that point- not at Orianna's hand.

13 minutes ago, Celan said:

I'm perfectly calm. ;)

We've seen two fighting, both have enormous power- as is the canon lore about them. So you're literally pulling it out of your ass to say that she's weaker than Dettlaff, just because you haven't seen her fight as a higher vampire.

Doesn’t seem like it.

The trailer and Regis isn’t nothing. Even if she’s stronger than in the trailer, he still kills her alone which means if you’re right and Geralt couldn’t beat Detlaff alone, then she’s not as powerful.

Thats my opinion, like it or don’t.

Away from this bickering, LOL, Deadspace 1 looks fucking fantastic on PC. The atmosphere and dread is all there, but the 60fps and resolution increases really pretty it up

mpbIF8f.jpg

W144I6E.jpg

hQtbkEi.jpg

Quick, what would you rather be on a ship filled with Necros, or a single Xenomorph Praetorian? No weapons XD

14 minutes ago, Celan said:

If Regis wasn't there, Geralt would very likely be dead, realistically. 

I don’t see how you could get this from the actual scene. They spend about ten seconds actually fighting together before Regis gets taken out. Then Geralt spends the large bulk of it fighting Detlaff 1v1, including the entirety of the time he was in his powerful “monster form”. And Geralt won. Regis has virtually no impact on that. The only thing he did was execute Detlaff after the fight was already won.

If they had fought without Regis being there, Geralt probably would’ve chopped him into a bunch of much smaller bits and boiled them in a pot with some dimeritium or some similarly witchery shit.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I don’t see how you could get this from the actual scene. They spend about ten seconds actually fighting together before Regis gets taken out. Then Geralt spends the large bulk of it fighting Detlaff 1v1, including the entirety of the time he was in his powerful “monster form”. And Geralt won. Regis has virtually no impact on that. The only thing he did was execute Detlaff after the fight was already won.

If they had fought without Regis being there, Geralt probably would’ve chopped him into a bunch of much smaller bits and boiled them in a pot with some dimeritium or some similarly witchery shit.

Because I'm accounting for the fact that it's a game and they're not going to let the PC lose. Thematically, lore-wise, it would be very unlikely for Geralt to defeat a higher vampire alone. They even acknowledge something like this in the trailer and she's not even a higher vampire there.

Of course, Geralt might succeed. He also might take such a contract. Or, he might not. That's all I'm saying.

And again, Regis said it himself that Detlaff is more bestial than other vampires. The only consistence between higher camps is their healing ability, and intelligence. They don’t all share the same powers.

What made Detlaff special was his more animalistic bestial nature. It let him have an army of lesser vamps and is why (in my opinion) his transformations were so monstrous.

2 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

The only thing that changes is her power, doesn’t change the fact that they intend for Geralt to kill her, alone. 

Yes, it obviously does. But nonetheless, this goes to your argument that she's somehow weaker than other higher vampires.

Just now, Celan said:

Because I'm accounting for the fact that it's a game and they're not going to let the PC lose. Thematically, lore-wise, it would be very unlikely for Geralt to defeat a higher vampire alone. They even acknowledge something like this in the trailer and she's not even a higher vampire there.

Of course, Geralt might succeed. He also might take such a contract. Or, he might not. That's all I'm saying.

But I’m the trailer, at the time, she was indeed. 

Sure, he may or may not take it, but obviously it’s heavily implied he does.

1 minute ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

And again, Regis said it himself that Detlaff is more bestial than other vampires. The only consistence between higher camps is their healing ability, and intelligence. They don’t all share the same powers.

What made Detlaff special was his more animalistic bestial nature. It let him have an army of lesser vamps and is why (in my opinion) his transformations were so monstrous.

He says "he's more bestial than I am." Meaning not as civilized. More bestial =/ more powerful

9 minutes ago, Celan said:

They DO let the PC lose when it’s lore appropriate. See the Unseen Elder. Or Caranthir freezing him on two separate occasions in the MQ.

Saying Geralt shouldn’t have been able to win because it’s a game doesn’t change the fact that he canonically did. And if the intent was for it to be because Regis was with him, CDPR would have depicted it as so, just like they did when Ciri helped him beat Caranthir.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I don’t think CDPR would’ve alluded to their confrontation three separate times if it wasn’t something they wanted to happen. 

They didn't, so that's rather moot. And in the trailer she wasn't a higher vampire.

Geralt doesn't lose in those other situations, either. XD He survives and abases himself before what is arguably a much larger threat than Orianna. By your logic, he'd be duty bound to try to kill the Unseen, too. Why not?

And, for the 100th time, he didn't canonically beat a higher vampire alone. He canonically did no such thing.

Just now, Celan said:

They didn't, so that's rather moot. And in the trailer she wasn't a higher vampire.

Yes they did. The trailer, the updated title screen, and Geralt’s own dialogue after seeing the children all point to a confrontation. Even if it’s not exactly like in the trailer, why would they make Orianna look the same at all if that wasn’t their intent?