Soulsborne Thread #7 (And Sekiro and Elden Ring and other shiet)

3 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

And in LOTR the Two Towers, there were plans to have the Balrog's flame go out once they reached the black lake underneath Moria and become a Sludge Balrog XD But everyone called Jackson crazy...

slime_balrog_by_chillier17_d8wml5m-fullv

Glad we got the version we did. XD It gave us the epic line from Gandalf: "Until at last I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside."

Such a gangster way to say "I won."

Just now, The Good Doctor said:

Glad we got the version we did. XD It gave us the epic line from Gandalf: "Until at last I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside."

Such a gangster way to say "I won."

SLUDGE, BALROG. 

And they were going to show glimpses of the Nameless Things Gandalf mentions eating the roots of the world below 

@The Good Doctor @TheCzarsHussar

New Elden Ring Previews.

ELDENRING_23_4K.jpg.jpg

ELDENRING_24_4K.jpg.0.jpg

ELDENRING_21_4K.jpg

ELDENRING_22_4K.jpg.jpg

ELDENRING_20_4K.jpg

Some info i'll post more as I read it. 

-Using Dark Souls-styled "Estus Flask" system rather then Blood vials. Refill at checkpoints 

-New "Bonfires" are lost grace. Gentle rays of light shine from them, pointing you in the direction of your choosing (Compared to Ghost of Tshushima's wind markers). Rarer then Bonfires

-Firekeeper's name is  Melina. Have to level up at her.

-Fast Travel can only be used in the overworld, as soon as you go into a dungeon it locks you out of it, or when you go to the "Mega"-Kingdoms. 

-World-Map is dynamic. It starts as a single shred of paper and it grows with each area you unlock as you piece together it.  Can add markers, which show as pillars of light in the actual game.

-Hub-world; the Old Grace. More or less like the Nexus from Demons Souls. NPC's from the world will gather here.

-Apparently there's an entire "subterranean" part of the world, a second "overworld" underground, albeit won that's quite a bit smaller.

-Entire section of the coast explorable; opens to a massive sea, which includes it's own special set of dungeons and zones to explore with nautical themed monsters! There's even a path on the map that leads into the ocean itself!

-Optional areas galore; but stressing they are all still handcrafted dungeons and not like Chalice dungeons from BB. Examples given including Crypts, Forts, ruins, and towers. Some of them even have their own boss fights, that are separate from the main story! 

-"Legacy Dungeons" are the term for the mega-dungeons, there being compared to the old Soul's areas, giant structures with their own lore, story, enemies, NPC's complex level design, secrets, and series of boss fights. 

-Spirit Steed is the ghost of a dead horse. You can summon him while moving with a smooth animation, can be done in mid-combat to close a gap, can double jump. Can use bows, magics, and weapons on him, with special movesets for mounted combat. Described as being a tactical choice, choose to fight a big foe with extended speed, or have the advantage of more methodical ground combat. Sprinting dosent effect you out of combat in the over-world to make exploration easier. 

-New Roaming bosses (Called Field Bosses)! One in the demo was a Dragon, it has it's own "territory" it will patrol, and will attack anything to defend it, including other faction enemies! Described as ambushing a camp of soldiers and burning them to a crisp, resulting in a very dynamic boss fight.  Killing a field boss usual rewards a grace checkpoint! 

-Brings alot of elements of Sekiro! Stealth, Jump Buttons, and a posture system for enemies (If you break the enemies posture like in Sekiro you can deliver a critical attack!) Stealth is used alot for scounting. Also trick arrows like THIEF, sleep arrows let you put guards to sleep. You can use melee attacks and ranged in mid-air, just like Sekiro. 

-Skills; like Weapon Arts, but you can give them ANY weapon! And switch them on command! Discover skills be finding them in the world  

-Twin Blades from D2 back.

-Giant "terrifying" enemies you are hunted by in a forest at night, you cant fight back, only try to sneak around.  Described as something out of a horror game.

-COOP. Less "instanced".   Reduce "friction", no more special item required. No longer disappear after bosses. 

-"Stormvale" Castle one of the Legacy Dungeon. "Dark Souls with a jump"; super vertical, layered up and down. A bunch of choices, you can go through the front gate, or take the rear-guard.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The Good Doctor said:

That all sounds amazing. 

Seems like FROM took everything they learned (Even from Dark Souls 2) in the last decade, and are putting it togther for their Magnum Opus. Could be this Gen's Elder Scrolls Morrowind or Witcher 3 for Open World stuff. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Seems like FROM took everything they learned (Even from Dark Souls 2) in the last decade, and are putting it togther for their Magnum Opus. Could be this Gen's Elder Scrolls Morrowind or Witcher 3 for Open World stuff. 

I hope so. I’ve long predicted that FromSoft peaked with Bloodborne, not because they’re going downhill or anything but because it was just that good.

But now the sheer amount of creativity and innovation that appears to be going into Elden Ring is making me doubt my prediction. It would be amazing if they launch another new IP and it’s another home run. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I hope so. I’ve long predicted that FromSoft peaked with Bloodborne, not because they’re going downhill or anything but because it was just that good.

But now the sheer amount of creativity and innovation that appears to be going into Elden Ring is making me doubt my prediction. It would be amazing if they launch another new IP and it’s another home run. 

FROM's best doing that. Demon Souls, Dark Souls, Sekiro, and Bloodborne already proved that XD Even when they reuse old ideas (like Patches lol. posion swamps, roles of characters that have the same actors etc), they always put new spins on them, and I kinda love the feeling of "echoes" that go down each different game series. It's a great way of building contunity between games, but not being tied down to the same franchise.

But yeah it's pretty insane there about to pull off another banger. Lost twelve years they've created FIVE new IP's. That's no small feat when you consider even the best devs these days stick to doing sequels. 

• Like 1

I do agree that it should generally be stacked against the invader in certain ways, though I don’t care for it being restricted to solo invasions.

Maybe you could make it determinant on location. In some regions, particularly early ones, you can only get invaded if you’re in a group. But in other areas, it’s possible to get invaded solo.

2 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I do agree that it should generally be stacked against the invader in certain ways, though I don’t care for it being restricted to solo invasions.

Maybe you could make it determinant on location. In some regions, particularly early ones, you can only get invaded if you’re in a group. But in other areas, it’s possible to get invaded solo.

This was also the case in Bloodbotne. There was an optional and major location where you could be invaded solo.

But the mandatory area was late game.

I'm of the opinion where if you choose to play as unhollowed or embered, you run the risk knowingly of being invaded.

That said, I dislike absolutely stomping on noobs. And unless I suspect they aren't new, often limit how hard I go against them. For us dickwraiths, nothing has changed.

We're already outnumbered in ds3 XD