Soulsborne Thread #7 (And Sekiro and Elden Ring and other shiet)

I was thinking; the Dragons are one of the important aspects of Dark Souls lore, and argueably one of the most unique examples in games, but despite there importance, there shut out of focus, and are never the main part of the plot. 

EwjmmBZW8AMQsFH.jpg

The Immortal rulers of the Age of Deep Fog, the Arch Dragons were nearly wiped out against the combined armies of Gywn, Nito, the Witch of Izilieth, and early humanity, begining the Age of Fire. But a scattered few survived. Most of the surviors seemingly hid deep, deep below ground, and made Ash Lake there home, until, tens of thousands of years later, as a seeming result of inbreeding, corruption, and degeneration, becoming more like primal amphibians then true dragon-kind). (I love this bit of lore btw XD)

http://soulslore.wdfiles.com/local--resized-images/data:everlasting-dragon/Dragon2.jpg/medium.jpg

Hydra's swim in the deep depths of Ash Lake

12032028825_285d686cb9_b.jpg

The nightmarish Imperfect roam the deepest depths of the Sunken Kingdom of Shulva, even further corrupted and reduced Dragons) 

J6x1Fi8.jpeg

And the rest degraded into even more mundane, and pathetic animals; the Wyverns 

tumblr_inline_okdhszbBGd1rk5mbw_1280.jpg

Then there's also the elements in the modern day; how disillusioned warriors became obsessed with becoming "Dragons", joining cults that worship them, imparting stone parts and becoming a facmilial of Dragon-Kind themselves with the various Dragon forms. The skeletal remains of Dragons become undead nightmares. The tiny few actual Arch-Dragons surviors being hidden in the deepest corners of the games, such as the Stone Dragon of Ash-Lake, dwelling with the degernative remneants of it's race 

1480776-1348182405.jpeg

Midir the Darkeater; a Dragon raised by the God's to forever seek and destory the Abyss when it got out of controlled. 

maxresdefault.jpg

Sinh the Slumbering Wyrm; who fled to the deepest reeches of the earth and was worship like a god by the people of Shulva, before it flooded the city that was built around it in posion 

?imw=1024&imh=576&ima=fit&impolicy=Lette

Kalmeet; WHO YOU HAVE TO TRAVEL BACK in time to defeat; The Black Dragon that even Anor Londo dared not attack. 

maxresdefault.jpg

And saving the coolest revalation at last; the whole subplot and reveal of the First Born of Gywn, who betrayed the God's to fight alongside the Everlasting Dragons for an unknown reason.

There's even more stuff; the connection between Dragons and the Primeval Serpents, the betrayal of Seath and him becoming a Duke of the Royal Family, the Gaping Dragon who became cursed by it's hunger.

Dragons are a super cool element of the Dark Souls series...yet there barely involved in the Dark Souls series XD There all hidden away in optional content and secrets, which is cool on it's own, but I would have liked to see a Dragon focused plot. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

@BigBossBalrog I don’t have much to add, but I do want to say that I love this ^ post. Very nice summary on the awesomeness of dragons in Dark Souls.

Dragons are pretty cool...which is sad since FROM has a mandate to put them in only as "obscure background lore, Hidden Content/Secret Area, and DLC boss" XD

Continuing in this thread what @ColonelKillaBee started.

I’m still a little partial to the early 1900s or WW1 era inspired setting idea for Bloodborne 2.

Maybe some decades after the events of the first game (including the death of Ebrietas), the Healing Church has declined in power to make way for a more secular, industrialized world. What remains of the blood is traded on the black market like drugs, and Hunters travel the world snuffing it out and killing the monsters who arise from its use.

If you want to do the war thing, you could have it so that one of the factions is using god blood to make monsters for the war. Idk. Monsters and Lovecraftian gods getting intermixed with an industrialized world at war setting just sounds really cool to me.

Alternatively, they could do something totally off the wall like the Mesoamerican stuff people used to speculate on. I could totally see some potential in like an Aztec inspired civilization that worships entities who are actually great ones. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Continuing in this thread what @ColonelKillaBee started.

I’m still a little partial to the early 1900s or WW1 era inspired setting idea for Bloodborne 2.

Maybe some decades after the events of the first game (including the death of Ebrietas), the Healing Church has declined in power to make way for a more secular, industrialized world. What remains of the blood is traded on the black market like drugs, and Hunters travel the world snuffing it out and killing the monsters who arise from its use.

If you want to do the war thing, you could have it so that one of the factions is using god blood to make monsters for the war. Idk. Monsters and Lovecraftian gods getting intermixed with an industrialized world at war setting just sounds really cool to me.

Alternatively, they could do something totally off the wall like the Mesoamerican stuff people used to speculate on. I could totally see some potential in like an Aztec inspired civilization that worships entities who are actually great ones. 

If I remember, the Healing Church was only in Yharnam (which is implied to be a city-state that has barely connection to the outside world because everyone hates outsiders), so I think the healing Church shouldn't even exist anymore (and Yharnam should be, in relation to the new city, be like Loran. Talking about, but a mystery to most). 

The theme of industrial war would bring alot of stuff never used by FROM; enviorments set in interconnected trenches, post-Victorian towns and cities, and maybe even a ship area. Plenty of new weapons (trench-knives, bayonets, trench-clubs, along with firearms THAT ACTUALLY DO SHIT). Theme enemies around beast-striken soldiers, with ww1 German uniforms and shit. 

If they wanted to do aztec themed; you could have it been done through the lense of a western invasion by a state that resembles Yharnam (but more Spanish of course); and you could play as a conquisador. Frame the game as the Aztec-like people (who worshipped the Old Ones)'s apoclypse, and you could have red skies, river of blood, and all kinds of Latin-American fused with Lovecraft horror. 

11 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

@BigBossBalrog

I’d rather not get an eastern themed game. I know people liked Sekiro, but imo Fromsoft is at its best when Miyazaki is letting loose as the Western culture fanboy that he is.

Sekiro's dark Sengoku millitary theme and super horror inspired folklore was awesome XD

But in this case what I meant by eastern was "Middle-East". It was clear Miyazaki really wanted to do it in D3, but they had to scale back. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

But in this case what I meant by eastern was "Middle-East". It was clear Miyazaki really wanted to do it in D3, but they had to scale back. 

I think that Middle East inspirations are cool as fuck for a fantasy setting. I just think FromSoft is at its best when it’s doing Western stuff. Though I’m open to the idea. 

3 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I think that Middle East inspirations are cool as fuck for a fantasy setting. I just think FromSoft is at its best when it’s doing Western stuff. Though I’m open to the idea. 

I mean, even if they have an overt Western Fantasy art style; they use alot of eastern concepts in lore. Bloodborne especially; the healing Church has alot of concepts of shintoism (mainly kegare; spirtual uncleaniness associated with impure blood) and the entire Old Hunters DLC was themed after the Buddhist Hell. 

36 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

I mean, even if they have an overt Western Fantasy art style; they use alot of eastern concepts in lore. Bloodborne especially; the healing Church has alot of concepts of shintoism (mainly kegare; spirtual uncleaniness associated with impure blood) and the entire Old Hunters DLC was themed after the Buddhist Hell. 

Sure, but I’d still say that both Dark Souls and Bloodborne are far more overtly western than eastern.

1 minute ago, The Good Doctor said:

Also, @BigBossBalrog @TheCzarsHussar 

Not gonna lie, it’s kinda racist that you see a bunch of dudes living in caves and you immediately jump to Middle Eastern.

I thought it was more of the GIANT FUCKING SAND dune and the Eyptian style tombs of the Loran chalice dungeons that made it more clear XD