Roleplayer's Off Topic Thread #25

Dead Pool- Who do you think will not survive chapter 4?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Milk-Drinker Edition

• Empress Dales Motierre
    • General Gracchus Ceno
    • Countess Magdela Bathory
    • Admiral Tacitus Meridius
    • Titus Scipio
    • Aetius Aquilarios
    • Yornar the Witch-King
    • Karsh the Raven
    • Avitus Agrippa

12 hours ago, The Good Doctor said:

@Witchking of Angmar Should we be concerned that you voted Yornar as one of the likely ones to die? XD 

I feel it's somewhat unfair you people use your admin powers to see what the rest of us can't. 

As for the question: I plan on him getting retired by the end of the chapter. How it will happen I haven't decided yet, but I have a few ideas. 

Edited by Witchking of Angmar

Power corrupts, absolute power... is a whole lot of fun!

3 hours ago, Witchking of Angmar said:

I feel it's somewhat unfair you people use you admin powers to see what the rest of us can't. 

As for the question: I plan on him getting retired by the end of the chapter. How it will happen I haven't decided yet, but I have a few ideas. 

I had no idea it was an admin power. Thought that anyone could see if they click the little figure with the number beside it.

Just now, The Good Doctor said:

I had no idea it was an admin power. Thought that anyone could see if they click the little figure with the number beside it.

I can't click it. When one makes the poll one has to check an option to let non-admins be able to view who picked what. 

Power corrupts, absolute power... is a whole lot of fun!

This is pretty cool. George responded to some fanmail from a very upset Jaime and Brienne fan who was enraged by their portrayal in the show. He basically promised that Jaime will not die with Cersei, and they'll have a less-nihilistic ending.  From tumblr 

GRRM: “Let me say this much –– your analysis is close to the truth. The butterfly effect was at work since the earlier seasons… and it changed some storylines more than others. If truth be told, I’m to be blamed for this too, because I had a load of work and I had to gradually step down from my duties after the forth season to concentrate on Winds. I haven’t read the scripts of the last two seasons. And I wasn’t exactly a fan of sacrificing some characters and stories at the expense of others… but I do need to mention that it was also an issue beyond the writing room and creative process.

The priority of a television network giant is rarely the story and the messages it gives. The desire of David and Dan (and HBO) to focus on actors like Peter and Lena is understandable. Sometimes certain scenes are written only for actors or for their memorability. And it’s not a bad idea to end a TV show which is well known for a controversial incest scene, with another memorable scene of the incestuous twins… it’s an ending. It makes sense in this medium, because it’s a medium that mainly relies on the memorability of imagery. A finale which brings two or three main actors together is more powerful. It’s a different animal when you are only dealing with characters, and not actors. The power of the ending in a book relies on the emotions which the words and the story itself convey.

I feel for you and understand your concerns, but I think you will be more satisfied with the books’ ending. Imagine that the books are the show are two parallel universes. There are two Briennes, two Jaimes, two Cerseis. Have you watched Sliding Doors? Sometimes taking a different path changes everything. Have you noticed that the dream might have more than one potential ending? Is Jaime’s ending in the show necessarily “wrong”? Can’t it be an ending which was the result of choices made and paths taken (by more than one character)? What if Jaime caught the train in one universe and missed in the other? Just food for thought…“

2ce6e5c800f743a5224c04ac6094ef767735a14a

44f7ded09ba4855f33e23b7aeffb0d08324bb510

• Thanks 2

Man, I’m sorry but fuck all of that bullshit. Even if I wanted to end with Jamie and Cersei, I could think of so many other ways to do that that was better than the show. Like him killing Cersei but dying in the process by someone else’s hand.

George is playing softball. That he didn’t watch or read the end result tells me he really doesn’t know how bad it was or doesn’t care to know.

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

1 minute ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Man, I’m sorry but fuck all of that bullshit. Even if I wanted to end with Jamie and Cersei, I could think of so many other ways to do that that was better than the show. Like him killing Cersei but dying in the process by someone else’s hand.

George is playing softball. That he didn’t watch or read the end result tells me he really doesn’t know how bad it was or doesn’t care to know.

I think George is saying he isn't going to go back to Cersei at all.

5 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

I think George is saying he isn't going to go back to Cersei at all.

Jaime has already turned away from Cersei in the books, which never truly happened in the show (and only sort of happened near the end). I think this is what he meant when he said that different choices in the books would lead the two versions of their characters down different paths. Hell, book Jaime is currently in a very dangerous situation with Brienne that wasn’t even possible in the show due to cutting out major characters. His story was never gonna be the same in the show.

He could still see Cersei again in the books. What GRRM said just tells us that their endings won’t be the same and may not be together. Very glad to hear that.

11 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

So many. XD For all we know GRRM has legal reasons for being so reserved in critiquing the show. Or maybe he just believes it would be a bad decision seeing as how HBO’s brand has made him and will continue to make him millions of dollars.

I hope this turns out to be a Full Metal Alchemist situation.

Longstory short there's an anime called Full Metal Alchemist that came out WAY before the manga finished, so the production company hired the originally author to write them an original version of the anime that completely deviated from the original's manga after a certain point. And then twelve years later they made a real adaption that followed the manga, Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood. 

Would be cool to remake the series in 10-15 years, that actually follow's Martin's script (if the books release in that timeframe that is.... 

1 minute ago, The Good Doctor said:

Probably easier to do that with a cartoon than with the biggest show in tv history with a budget in the tens of millions. But it would be nice. XD 

And FMA is one of the biggest animes in the history of the genre, that costed like 60 million dollars to make in total XD But yeah, by the total standards of TV, that's chump change. 

They could do something less budget intense. But then again, GOT production value was one of the best part's of it...

I just looked it up and I wasn’t giving HBO’s wallet enough credit. GoT cost over $6 million per episode beginning in season 1 and only went up from there. It was $15 million per episode by the final season. 

So it was more like half a billion overall, give or take. That’s insane. Probably gonna  be a while before we get any remakes. XD 

6 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

One of you said they made enough to run a small country, and that was not inaccurate.

This makes it even crazier that HBO didn’t intervene when the showrunners decided to end it so much sooner than they wanted. That’s potentially hundreds of millions of dollars right there. 

10 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

a6902030c099bfc3bb64d6341f9372c04321f927

I was wondering if this was gonna get reported on by any American news. Up until now the only sources I’ve seen have been Japanese and shit like that (I believe their version even specifically mentioned child-sized skulls). That thing in the picture is a fucking temple. 

Its hard to believe honestly. We really haven't changed much at all from the days of Rome and beyond. 

Speaking of, I'm on the last episode of the third season and really really hope they'll end it using the real legend of Spartacus and how he somehow escaped off the mountain with his men using a rope made of plants from the mountaintop. Great way to end it.

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee