Roleplayer's Off Topic Thread #25

Dead Pool- Who do you think will not survive chapter 4?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Milk-Drinker Edition

• Empress Dales Motierre
    • General Gracchus Ceno
    • Countess Magdela Bathory
    • Admiral Tacitus Meridius
    • Titus Scipio
    • Aetius Aquilarios
    • Yornar the Witch-King
    • Karsh the Raven
    • Avitus Agrippa

Great, I hate the Romans all over again. Balance is restored.

I mean... I knew it would end that way tbh but somehow I still held hope. And that's how you know they did a damn good job at their storytelling. Better than GoT, thats for damn sure, lol. Every battle nearly was well handled and executed, especially the last one. Fantastic, best season for sure.

RIP Crixus, the Undefeated Gaul, Ganicus, and Spartacus, Bringer of Rains, Slayer of Theokoles.

Ganicus' death upset me the most tbh. Ironically, though he stood for nothing at first, he was the most noble and kind hearted of all of them. He deserved his fate the least in my opinion.

• Like 1

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

6 hours ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Ganicus' death upset me the most tbh. Ironically, though he stood for nothing at first, he was the most noble and kind hearted of all of them. He deserved his fate the least in my opinion.

Agreed. And his growth from a champion who was obsessed with pleasure and vices to a cynical free man who cared about nothing to a leader with actual convictions was the best character arc in the show.

Crixus' death was one of the ones that hit me the hardest. Like Spartacus, we followed him from the very beginning. GoT should take note that this is how you turn a main antagonist into a hero. XD I wish we’d gotten to see more of his march on Rome, though. As great as the final episode was, I’d have been happier if it had been a little longer to show more of it.

I was glad that the show managed to take what could’ve been the most depressing ending ever and actually made it feel really hopeful.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Gaius Julius fucking CAESAR!!! I shouldn't be cheering for the Romans but WHAT A BADASS XD I love their portrayal of young Caesar, it's awesome. Shits really hitting the fan now. Just goes to show your best laid plans can drop at any moment.

Caeser was awesome. The Wolf of Rome. 

They combined all of his best traits from history too. His personal strength, and how he would always lead his men from the front. His love for the Roman common folk (even to slaves. Most of the people Caeser fought against were the corrupt aristocrats)  Yet he was still a ruthless motherfucker. Even if he respected some of the rebels, still was like "Yeah fuck you guys." 

8 hours ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

I've never been so pissed off by a fantasy rape in my life. Caesar better kill that fucking kid.

At least he died horribly XD

I felt more sad the Rebels lost their way. It's understandable, but they eventually started acting like the Romans (go figure).  Crixus's death hit me the hardest because of how invincible he felt before. And he goes one of the worst ways. 

• Like 1

Just now, BigBossBalrog said:

Crixus's death hit me the hardest because of how invincible he felt before. And he goes one of the worst ways. 

Crixus’ death definitely sucked (that boy was like Ramsey except realistic. He raped that hot sweet slave girl that was in love with his father, HE RAPED FUCKING CAESAR :realmad:, and he killed Crixus :( from behind, with his spear before his head was cut off. Symbolism.)

Buuut, I knew it was gonna happen and wasn’t surprised. They got so hard headed and stupid from their bloodlust that I feel the end was deserved almost. Spartacus lead them from calamity every time yet they think they know better now? Foolish. As is his annoying lover, who I’m glad to see made a warrior but upset she be made hot headed fool.

It made sense however. But yea his death was tragic, but he deserved the lesson.

1 minute ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Crixus’ death definitely sucked (that boy was like Ramsey except realistic. He raped that hot sweet slave girl that was in love with his father, HE RAPED FUCKING CAESAR :realmad:, and he killed Crixus :( from behind, with his spear before his head was cut off. Symbolism.)

Buuut, I knew it was gonna happen and wasn’t surprised. They got so hard headed and stupid from their bloodlust that I feel the end was deserved almost. Spartacus lead them from calamity every time yet they think they know better now? Foolish. As is his annoying lover, who I’m glad to see made a warrior but upset she be made hot headed fool.

It made sense however. But yea his death was tragic, but he deserved the lesson.

Oh yeah. By the time the final battle took, place, I was routing for individual characters, but not the group as a whole. What did those idiots think was going to happen? They could have fled, fled. But nope it's just "lets piss off the most powerful Empire in the West by pillaging and raping towns, give them there own taste of medicine we can beat them!" And then when Rome's finally done playing around and uses it's full might, they get slaughtered. 

Yea, Spartacus was too good to be counted amongst that rabble. He should never have kept Roman prisoners, but even with him among the rest, they’d not have taken Rome. They were always on borrowed time though but if Crixus just listened, they might’ve defeated Marcus Crassus at the end.

Though more than likely that battle wouldn’t have happened the way it played out and they’d be in guerrilla warfare with Pompey right now.

Things really started to get out of hand for the rebels when Agron swelled their ranks with Germans who had no loyalty to Spartacus himself or his ideals. Between them and Crixus’ bunch, the movement to break free of Rome became way too vindictive and they bit off more than they could chew.

• Like 1

It's like when you punch a bear, and are surprised when said bear rips out your organs and disembowels you. Like...what did you expect? 

Spartacus was smart, and remained heroic throughout the show (though he dipped into vengeance from time to time)  It wasn't about toppling Rome, or something utterly unrealistically stupid. 

He did promise that they would see Rome tremble tho so I do get it. Even I was disappointed he didn’t see a way to pull it off but... dude. It’s Rome. THE Rome. You’d need allies from other nations at the least, but even then, who would trust a slave army? They had slaves of their own and enemy of my enemy only goes so far

Just now, ColonelKillaBee said:

He did promise that they would see Rome tremble tho so I do get it. Even I was disappointed he didn’t see a way to pull it off but... dude. It’s Rome. THE Rome. You’d need allies from other nations at the least, but even then, who would trust a slave army? They had slaves of their own and enemy of my enemy only goes so far

Turns out abolition ain’t the greatest rallying cry in the late BCs. :P 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Turns out abolition ain’t the greatest rallying cry in the late BCs. :P 

The sad part is Rome's at least had laws in regards to kinda protect Slaves, by the standards of the Ancient World, Rome was like a few inches more progressive then everyone else, who the fuck would care about a revolting slave army who rapes and pillages XD

It's the Roman Republic at it's height. Nobody in the world would be strong enough to take them on. They needed to get as far away as possible then scatter. No other choice.

3 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Probably why the show never even pretended like Crixus stood a chance. It’s been years since I last rewatched it, but I still remember that pretty much everything from the dialogue to the music leading up to their final engagement that that particular cause was doomed. I do like that it took the full might of Rome to finally "defeat" the Undefeated Gaul.

Indeed. The rebels would have lost on that mountain very early in the rebellion if they’d relied on their might, and that was against much lesser forces. Spartacus was one of the only gladiators who was an actual battle commander before his enslavement, so without his leadership, they were pretty fucked against the Romans.

As soon as Roman commanders like Crassus  Caesar, and even that fucking dickhead Tiberius came, Romans who could actually fight one on one and counter the Rebels tactics they were fucked XD

Not trying to diminish what they did before, but Glover?! Seriously?! The Legionaries in Lost and the Damned would eat him for breakfast. And whilst Batiatus (!) was awesome, he was just a ruthless business man XD 

6 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

As soon as Roman commanders like Crassus  Caesar, and even that fucking dickhead Tiberius came, Romans who could actually fight one on one and counter the Rebels tactics they were fucked XD

Even the best Romans couldn’t match many of the gladiators 1v1. That’s not why the rebels were fucked. They lost because their movement crumbled and they could not match the Legions in battle. Spartacus as a general could only do so much.

Tiberius almost got killed on the first battle XD 

Crassus almost died on the final episode. I don’t think they were fucked right then. If they listened to spartacus they stood a chance against him. 

In fact they even thought the slaves could take Rome if they didn’t interfere.

edit: viking’d

Just now, The Good Doctor said:

Even the best Romans couldn’t match many of the gladiators 1v1. That’s not why the rebels were fucked. They lost because their movement crumbled and they could not match the Legions in battle. Spartacus as a general could only do so much.

That too. It was a bunch of rabble versus a professional army that was both better trained, and larger. 

Just saying the people they had fought before weren't exactly that competent. Once real generals stepped in, shit hit the fan. 

1 minute ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Just saying the people they had fought before weren't exactly that competent. Once real generals stepped in, shit hit the fan. 

True, but they sure made him work for it. And if not for Crixus splitting off and Pompey arriving, they might’ve won that last battle. 

1 minute ago, BigBossBalrog said:

That too. It was a bunch of rabble versus a professional army that was both better trained, and larger. 

This is inaccurate though.

They were better trained as units and conventional means. They were losing because of the unconventional.

Not to mention Crassus has almost unlimited funds and Spartacus did not. It took Rome’s richest man using his own coin to stop him, not just battle smarts and professional army tm 

That professional army had to bring back decimation to get its shit together thanks to his green son.

6 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

Compared to HBO's Rome, how good is this show?

Rome wins out for me, but that doesn't say much as it's damn hard to top. Easily one of the best shows I've seen.

Spartacus is still incredibly fun, though. In a more carnal and less grounded sort of way. Just don't watch it with your grandma. :P